Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 30 Jan 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Updates from my visit Monday, August 31, 2020. (See photos in gallery).

Zoo reopened to members late last week and to public over the weekend. Tickets (for members and public) must be purchased in advance online for a specific day (but not a specific time). Current summer hours are 8am-2pm. According to a staff person initial daily allotment is 460 tickets, which may be adjusted based on observations of crowd spacing.

The front entrance and inside entry plaza are under construction, resulting in a temporary entrance just left of the exit (as you enter, or just right as you leave). The gift shop and cafe, which are attached to the entrance, are closed as a result. A temporary outdoor gift shop (with a limited selection) has been set up under a canopy in front of the zebra exhibit. Entry plaza will feature a new Chilean flamingo exhibit.

Construction also means closure of the normal entrance to South America, so a temporary entrance has been set up in the middle (you now enter with the jaguar exhibit immediately on your left). Plants in recently renovated jaguar exhibit are growing nicely (a pleasant surprise for me). Capybaras (not seen) and crested screamers are moved to the former llama/guanaco yard (these species no longer at the zoo). The former capybara/screamer yard (with underwater viewing) is now a second tapir exhibit. Black-necked swan, that was originally in llama yard but more recently in one of the anteater yards, is in a new pond in front of cave (site of former macaw island). Opinion time - the new swan exhibit is too small and the tiny land area borders on being inhumane.

Tiger exhibit is empty with the death of their last elderly tiger and is under refurbishment for a different species. (Tigers will not return until they get a new home in the upcoming Asia addition, scheduled for 2022). New species is yet to be determined, though a keeper told me a couple possibilities, one being a move of a currently held species and the other being something the zoo has never had. Since it is still undecided I will not mention the possibilities, but the potential new species I think would be an exciting addition if it comes to pass.

Aldabra tortoises have moved from their long-time exhibit at the back of the zoo to the former crowned crane exhibit (former Visayan warty pig exhibit) near the front. A solid metal fence that presumably can be opened or closed separates the two females from the male. Their former exhibit is being developed as a small garden with a dirt path, the back portion fenced off as a pollinator garden. (I mistakenly reported previously that this would be part of the new entrance).

Baby bush elephant is very active, spends a lot of time with older brother, and is of course a big hit with visitors. Lion exhibit for years had a "temporary" chain link fence in front of the the regular harpwire fence on the far right side of the lion exhibit. The chain link has finally been removed.

2. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

“Worf” the Andean Bear passed away yesterday.

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Arizona Docent

This is great news! They will inhabit the former tiger exhibit. (The last tiger died and tigers will not return until the new Asia exhibit opens in early 2023).

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are the dogs able to survey their surroundings? One of the problems with keeping them in fenced exhibits is the lack of being able to look over their surroundings. Perhaps they added a mound in the habitat?

7. Arizona Docent

Interesting as I didn't know this about their husbandry. There already is a small (very, very small) mound in the left side of the exhibit. However there is not much of a view. Basically they can look out into the visitor area and the entry plaza (which will feature a new flamingo exhibit by next month).

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

( from Instagram ) New species at the Zoo : White-headed buffalo weavers :).

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A male lion has been transferred from the San Antonio Zoo:

Reid Park Zoo welcomes new lion

In a news release Wednesday the zoo announced the addition of Tony, a 5-year-old male lion who comes to Tucson from the San Antonio Zoo, where he was born, according to the release.

Tony will be joining the Zoo’s pride of two female lions, Kaya and her daughter, Nayo. At this time the group at Reid Park Zoo is not recommended to breed, but that could change in the future, the zoo said.

10. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't expect any lion cubs in the near future. Kaya is getting older and Nayo and Tony are cousins. So it does surprise me that the SSP sent Tony to the Reid Park Zoo and not an unrelated male or at least a more distant relative.

StoppableSan likes this.