Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo news 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 26 Feb 2021.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The new Chilean flamingo exhibit has opened. The flamingos were moved from a smaller exhibit at the back of the zoo to a bigger one at the front. (I am not a fan of the temple holding building, but they never had a holding building before, so I guess anything is an improvement.)
    The Flamingo Lagoon is Open! | Reid Park Zoo

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What comes next on their construction schedule? Will it be their new Asia zone with a new tiger exhibit?

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Yes. Construction is scheduled to commence I believe next month. Anticipated opening date is sometime in 2023 (I expect later in the year). I believe they are also doing the new kids play area (near the Conservation Learning Center) during this time.
    The Future of Your Zoo | Reid Park Zoo

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

5. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

This is extremely disappointing, especially coming off the heels of a couple of letters to the editor opposing the expansion simply because the writer "didn't like zoos". I saw the zoo directors said they were going forward because it was agreed upon by the public. I would like to get @Arizona Docent 's take on this being local. I'm not from the area but hate to see when plans to enhance your facility get blocked at a governmental level this late in the game.

6. Arizona Docent

Well the same thing happened to Oakland Zoo and Fresno Chaffee Zoo, both of whom finally won out. The opponents in every case (including this) are a minority but if they make enough noise they can delay projects that will benefit many. Reid Park Zoo has more annual visitors than any other attraction in Southern Arizona. However, if as the news release says, the zoo was not transparent about expanding when they put the sales tax on the ballot, then I do say it is partly their (the zoo's) fault. I suppose it's time for me to write a letter to the mayor and city council supporting the expansion.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

I am not sure if it is true that the zoo was not upfront about their expansion plans. If it is true, however, I would hardly call that ignorant or inconsequential. If I was a multi-millionaire I would just buy a large plot of land and donate it to the zoo and fund the new site where they don't have to worry about the politics of being in a city park. I am not, so they will have to carry on with this fight.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@AD, I was flabbergasted at the complaint about the duck pond going, not the new tiger exhibit coming in (I think that is a welcome improvement). Perhaps I was not clear enough, sorry for the confusion.

Arizona Docent and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Arizona Docent

The zoo will remain open until 6:30pm March 12-21, 2021.

11. Arizona Docent

Link above says they are pausing the project until they work out a compromise. Hey I have the perfect solution. Let the park keep that tiny 3.5 acre parcel and instead give the zoo the golf course on the other side of the zoo that is dozens of acres!

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who needs golf courses anyway? ;)
    (Nah but for real golf is one of the most unsustainable "sports" out there, thousands of gallons of water on a nonnative grass not to mention the land literally being used for nothing other than whacking a ball, getting into a cart, whacking a ball, getting into a cart, etc. George Carlin and Robin Williams had amazing bits on golf but I'm getting off track.) I just wish there was a modern day Al Czervik who was into zoos... :p:p:p

Arizona Docent likes this.
  13. Arizona Docent

14. Arizona Docent

I just got an email link to this survey about zoo expansion: Gene C. Reid Park and Reid Park Zoo Conversation (opengov.com)
    Based on initial input from a public survey and various stakeholders, eight options are being listed in this new survey. You can read the full descriptions, including cost and benefit and liability, in the link. I will summarize them here as they are listed, in order from least expensive and least radical to most expensive and most radical. (Hint: number eight - Plan H - is a real surprise).

Plan A: Cancel planned expansion. (Cost less than $1 million to close out existing contracts).

Plan B: West expansion as originally planned. (Cost less than $1 million to contractors for delay).

Plan C: West expansion as planned but mitigate with new natural area in current grass area and baseball diamond and parking area to the north. (Cost $1.5 million to create new area).

Plan D: Northwest expansion into area slated in Plan C for natural area. (Cost $3.6 million to create new zoo design).

Plan E: Southwest expansion into area currently housing Cancer Survivor Plaza and horseshoe pits. (Cost $8 million to relocate existing structures and create new zoo design that accommodates a small wash).

Plan F: East expansion into corner of existing golf course. (Cost $15 million to create access across road, create new zoo design, and reroute some golf holes).

Plan G: North expansion into current parks therapeutic building and parking lot. (Cost $15-$25 million to build new therapeutic center, move two communication towers, build new parking garage, create new zoo design).

Plan H: Relocate entire zoo to an undetermined site outside of Reid Park. (Cost $100 million or more to find location, purchase property, and build a new zoo from scratch).

15. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm really gunning for the golf course...

Kifaru Bwana and nczoofan like this.
  16. Arizona Docent

The Andean bear (aka spectacled bear) exhibit is being renovated. The thick mesh is being replaced with a thinner mesh for better viewing and the large rear moat that was previously inaccessible is being filled in to give the bear more land area. An off-exhibit holding area is being added to separate bears in future in event of cubs. (Source - zoo Facebook page).

17. Arizona Docent

18. Arizona Docent

The City of Tucson made a news release (which I received via email) that the city manager is going to recommend Plan D to the mayor and city council for their study session on May 4. I am fairly certain the council will vote to adopt his recommendation. Plan D (see post 14 above) was the most neutral based on survey replies (a record 14,000 replies were received) and the core stakeholders group (which included members of the immediate neighborhoods). The stakeholders also strongly favored Plan G, but it did not score as highly on the community-wide survey.

19. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Plan D seems better to be honest. Allowing the natural areas of the park to be contiguous and developing mostly underutilized land. Also allows Asia to be entered right off the existing entrance area. So you have the possibility of south america, asia, and africa loops off a central hub.

20. Arizona Docent

It will be interesting to see how they lay out the new design. You may have a point that if it can be incorporated into the entrance as a hub it could be nice. The problem is since it is not contiguous with the rest of the zoo it will be a loop. The original design would allow entrance/exit from two ends (South America on the north and upcoming play area on the south).