Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo's Current Master Plan

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 17 Feb 2019.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know if there's been much discussion about this, but what do you all think of the zoo's current master plan: The Future of Your Zoo, Reid Park Zoo? Do you think it's a good plan to improve the zoo, or do you think it's too ambitious? (I personally think it would severely improve the layout of all the exhibits, since in their current state, they're a bit too disorganized for my tastes.)

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's an opportunity to bring in new animals, update existing facilities, and even bring in some downright exciting exhibit complexes (Africa, Asia, South America renos). However, I'm just not excited for yet ANOTHER temple-themed complex for the South American and Asian areas. It simply puts the animal in a wrong, romanticized context. And if Cemrock doesn't work on the rest of the zoo, I'd honestly be disappointed. I'm still excited for these capital improvements and such, but... I don't know what to say about the rest.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am excited to see the zoo expand its boundary for the Asia addition. As a cat fanatic I am even more excited about the addition of fishing cats - the first small cats at the zoo in the two plus decades I have lived here.

I was at the zoo today (briefly at end of day) and ran into a top level senior staff person I know. We had a discussion about the next two phases and I am certain none of the information I am sharing is confidential.

From roughly June to November 2020 construction will take place at the front of the zoo for a new entry plaza and new Chilean flamingo exhibit. The new exhibit will be approximately fifty percent larger than the current exhibit and will have a night house, which the flamingos currently do not have.

The Asia addition will be to the west of the current zoo fence and should be complete by 2022 (I assume construction will begin in 2021). There is a species list (though some are generic taxon names and not to the species level) now on the web link in the first post of this thread. I confirmed today that fishing cats will be part of the plan and are replacing sand cats the zoo previously announced on their Facebook page. The fishing cat exhibit most likely will NOT have underwater viewing.

StoppableSan likes this.