Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Remaining Hoof-Stock Species

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 21 Mar 2010.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With Horn and Hoof Mesa gone :( , what hoof-stock species does the zoo still exhibit?

2. jedibiscuits

jedibiscuits Well-Known Member

Pretty much none... well not any good ones like they used to have. They have:
    Visayan warty pig
    Warthog
    Red river hog
    Hippos (river and pygmy)
    Indian rhino
    giraffe
    Camels (dromedary and Bactrian)
    Gazelle (Cuvier's Soemmerrings, Speke's)
    Forest buffalo
    Malayan and Baird's tapir
    Chinese goral
    Tufted deer
    Siberian musk deer
    Kirk's dik dik
    Gerenuk
    Lesser kudu
    Duikers (red-flanked, blue, and yellow-backed)
    Caribou (which are impossible to see)
    Okapi
    Chacoan peccery
    Calamian deer
    Takin
    Pronghorn
    Klipspringer
    Grevy's zebra
    Steenbok

That's all I can remember... If there's anything I'm missing let me know.
    But Elephant Odyssey did ruin the hoofstock collection at the zoo. They got rid of a ton of African antelope species and others that they don't have at the Wild animal park, including some that were rare in zoos. I don't understand why they did it, just because it didn't earn them a bunch of money. It's dumb!

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Don't forget Black Duikers (exhibited with the Okapi), Royal antelope, Guanacos (in EO), and don't forget the infamous domestic Donkey and Horse in EO.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is also a Grant's zebra who makes appearances at the Backstage Pass at Urban Jungle.

5. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the information guys. Wow, there isn't much left of the amazing collection I've been waiting years to see. Still some interesting species that are not seen that often in other zoos, but not what I've heard it used to be. It's quite sad really, to the San Diego Zoo who used to be all about it's amazing collection fall into the path of other zoos.

6. jedibiscuits

Oh yes I forgot about those. I know they have a whole area filled with off exhibit ungulates behind the skyfari... there there are Barbary red deer, some gazelles, kudu, and duikers (I can't figure out what the other animals I've been seeing are).

7. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Barbary Red Deer are behind the duikers next to the Skyfari. You can see them off in the distance and can even hear them butt heads time to time. Also there are Lowland Anoas next to the Yellow-Backed Duikers by the kiwi.

8. Ituri

Does anyone know if the Bactrian wapiti are still in the collection? They are listed on ISIS...

9. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I feel so fortunate to have seen the San Diego Zoo back in 2003 while Horn and Hoof Mesa was still there. Having said that, the list of what SD has to this day would make my mouth water any day, if it was another collection than San Diego, in light of its history.

But clearly the animals can't be dead, even if they are no longer featured in San Diego. So next question would be: where are they now? Which zoos took them over?

10. jedibiscuits

The wapiti are not in the collection at the Zoo or Wild Animal Park anymore :(

11. jedibiscuits

I know! I always wonder where the ungulates from the Mesa went when they demolished it. Maybe they are off exhibit somewhere or were moved to the Animal Park.

12. Ituri

https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/248030

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  13. Otter Lord

I believe some of the the ungulates such as the Beisa oryx, Addax, Soemmerring's Gazelle, etc were sent to the Park. And as mentioned above, some were sent to private breeders as it seems, but does anyone got any sources. Lowland Anoa were moved near the Kiwi, Giraffes to Elephant Mesa, and Bornean Bearded Pig to Monkey Trails (which are no longer there) Speaking of which, anyone know where the Bearded Pigs went?

14. jedibiscuits

I've been asking around about which facilities the animals were sent to. I saw something in the off exhibit area behind the skyfari and duikers that I think was the two bearded pigs. They must be getting ready to move them.

15. Otter Lord

Yeah the zoo uses the area behind EO closest to the freeway as a quarantine area for small animals and probably some of the old Goat Mesa exhibits for quarantine as well.

Oh and I forgot to mention that though the hoofstock collection is significantly decreasing the zoo has acquired some other species as well. I see the zoo moving to a more sort of "main stream" zoo collection with popular animals that people identify with. Animals like pumas, grizzly bears, and red kangaroo which are now on display within the last few years. Though, for some reason they have a lot of Siberian Musk Deer lately, so that doesn't really follow up with that.

16. Ituri

The Siberian musk deer have actually been there quite some time. They just are finally on display.

As of June 2008, here are the species that were held in the old Goat Canyon area (off-exhibit).

Source,
    San Diego Zoo Blogs Blog Archive Follow the Leader

17. jedibiscuits

A keeper told me that they have 100 musk deer so most of their vacant space is filled wiht them

18. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

About two years ago I read that the LA Zoo was interested in acquiring Siberian Musk Deer and Bactrian Wapiti from the San Diego Zoo, but I haven't heard anything in a while. Seeing in ISIS that SD Zoo has 27.28 (assuming that ISIS is correct) musk deer, I wonder if the LA Zoo will ever get them.

ISIS also list SD Zoo with 11.15 Bactrian Wapiti, does anybody know if this info is correct?

19. jedibiscuits

None of the information about the species at the SD Zoo on ISIS is correct.I contacted the Zoo and they said they didn't they no longer had any of the species ISIS listed for them.

20. Ituri

San Diego's ISIS records have never been accurate (I believe it has to do with the software they use, is how it was once explained to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong), but I would hardly say that NONE of the species listed on ISIS are in the collection. They tend to have more 'phantom' listings than other collections.