Join our zoo community

Renaissance fair elephant!

Discussion in 'United States' started by Dallaspachyderm, 29 Jun 2011.

1. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

This elephant "Paige," is not listed on the elephant data base, she is 24 this year. The Dallas zoo apparently "looked into her," but found she was in absolutely perfect health, mindset, and temperament. (All from sources at the Dallas zoo by the way). Paige is all alone, giving rides to people every weekend in spring and summer, and then returning to a ranch in Arizona. At 24, and in perfect health, wouldn't it make sense to bring her into the breeding program this year? I mean, isn't she worth more than rides at a fair representing the middle ages? She needs interaction, and if the Dallas zoo isn't able to take her in, shouldn't there be other facilities as well?

How do you feel about this situation?

Amanda's First Renaissance Fair: An R.V. Explodes!! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Dallaspachyderm

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am surprised the elephant is from a ranch in Arizona (though maybe I shouldn't be). I was unaware there were any elephants in my state except Reid Park Zoo and Phoenix Zoo. The link you posted does not mention it. Do you have any other information?

4. Dallaspachyderm

I am a youth Volunteer in Dallas, I got all my information from staff in Dallas! She isn't listed on the data base nor are the other fair elephants!

The staff said a 2,000 acre ranch in Arizona! There is basically NO information on these elephants! It would make an interesting project!