Join our zoo community

Reptile mixed exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Smannsaker, 13 Jul 2019.

1. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

My local zoo has Bengal Monitor, Green Iguana and Red Sand Boa in a mixed aviary-style exhibit.

2. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s a concerning exhibit, do the iguana and the monitor have a barrier that separates the fore mentioned species

3. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

No, but they were basking together relatively harmlessly. The monitors are really small, less than two feet, and I don’t see a reason for the iguanas to attack the monitors.

4. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Minnesota Zoo has Dwarf crocodiles with cichlids, and Henkel's leaf tailed gecko's with Tomato frogs? Both of those actually don't seem that concerning to me.

5. lowland anoa

That’s because crocodiles and cichlids often work together well. Plus the geckos and frogs are from the same range and occupy different place in the terrarium.

Luke da Zoo nerd likes this.
  6. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If my memory serves me correctly, San Diego safari park mixes desert tortoises with burrowing owls. And then the zoo mixes gharials with numberous turtle species.

One other I don’t think has been mentioned yet is snapping turtles with alligators, which I think is a relatively common mix.

I bet I’ve seen loads more, just can’t remember any.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  7. Luke da Zoo nerd

Exactly!

8. Luke da Zoo nerd

At the Omaha zoo they have American Alligators, American crocodiles, And numerous fish, And Alligator and common snapping turtles all in the same exhibit.

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Virginia Living Aquarium has their american alligator with a large alligator snapping turtle, as well.
    ZooAmerica has desert tortoises with roadrunners, burrowing owls, and gambel's quail. They're technically in a separate, rocked off area at the front of the exhibit (that the birds can go in if they want), but they can climb out and roam around if they try hard enough.
    Inked20190731_104538_LI.jpg

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This seems to be a somewhat common mix. I've also seen it at National Mississippi River Aquarium and Doc's Zoo.

11. BigNate

pendraig_milnerae likes this.
  12. lowland anoa

That’s an odd one, do the turtles and ducks cooperate well?

13. BigNate

Not sure, didn’t see any of them in there besides the deer and the peafowl. I assume they were indoors somewhere due the near freezing temperatures we have had recently

14. lowland anoa

I was worrying that the turtles would nip the ducks, therefore starting a rivalry between them.

15. lowland anoa

Well there are reasons the iguanas could attack the monitors ; food competition, personal spaces and territory defending.

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oddest mix I've ever seen was at Hoo Farm in the UK, consisting of a black & white tegu, green iguana, and one of the South American tortoise species.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the most remarkable reptile mixed exhibits I have ever heard of was created at Dallas Zoo in 1966. At one point, the enclosure contained rhinoceros iguanas, Andros Island iguanas, Exuma Island iguanas, Cayman Island iguanas, green iguanas, Cape spiny-tailed iguanas, a Malayan water monitor and a lace monitor, all apparently without issue. When a paper was written about the exhibit only one inhabitant, a Nile monitor, had died in the enclosure.

A paper about the mixed enclosure is included here:
    https://library.iucn-isg.org/docume...Natural_History_and_Husbandry_of_Reptiles.pdf

18. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now that's a lot of iguanas! It seems like they had their base species, and then just kept adding more iguanas whenever ones got dropped off. I wonder how big the enclosure was, since the males were very territorial? And if the monitor died because of the iguanas or something unrelated? And how long they kept it like that?

19. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just visited the Quito Zoo and they had a large reptile exhibit with green iguanas, boa constrictors and multiple turtle species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

The North Carolina Zoo has/had several mixed reptile exhibits. The Cypress Swamp used to house an alligator snapping turtle with two older American alligators. The Streamside also has/had several mixed exhibits. One in particular housed a black rat snake, yellow rat snake, corn snake, spiny softshell turtle, and three-toed amphiuma. The turtle and amphiuma were separated by a fake log over a glass barrier that the snakes could climb over.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.