Join our zoo community

Research; Behaviour or Reintroduction?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZooNats, 27 Mar 2015.

1. ZooNats

ZooNats New Member

Hi.

I am in my third year of studying Applied Animal Science (BSc), and so need to decide on a dissertation topic for my fourth year honours project.
    During the summers I go to South Africa to work for a cheetah reintroduction program which also have a nature reserve with animals such as leopards, servals, caracals, wolves and lions etc.
    My lecturer mentioned to me that it would be beneficial if I could carry out my research on the animals there this year as it would be a more open environment than a local zoo, with species not available here.

However, I am really struggling to decide if I should carry out my research there and follow the animal behaviour route, or if I should choose a topic such as the reintroduction of wolves to scotland which would possibly provide me with more background literature.
    I could also do the reintroduction of cheetahs but as there are still wild cheetahs in South Africa I don't think I would get as strong a public opinion.

There are 2 female grey wolves at the reserve in South Africa, but I feel this is too little to do research with, especially since I have no wolves near home to compare to.

I am extremely keen on doing something conservation related, but also would enjoy studying the behaviour of the cheetahs as there is a large number of them to study, both hand raised and wild rescues.

Basically, if anyone has read this and understood what my interests are please give me ideas!!! I can't decide between the two topic areas and I am very scared I will choose one that won't be sufficient for 10,000 words. Behaviour or conservation?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

why are there grey wolves in a reserve in South Africa??

3. ZooNats

ZooNats New Member

I believe they were given to the owner as a gift as they were used in a police breeding program to create police dogs that were german shepherd x grey wolf cross. I think the program failed within the police force and there's actually a high number of wolfdogs as pets within SA due to this.
    The two wolves are female and the older is dominant.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interesting, thanks for that.

5. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does your honours project have to be a literature review or an actual scientific study, or do you get a choice?