Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Research Project - Paignton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Saxon Parton, 6 Apr 2019.

1. Saxon Parton

Saxon Parton New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to Zoo Chat. But I was wondering whether anyone would be able to share any information they have with me, which would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently a university history student at SDC and I have a hidden histories module coming up, I am looking and researching Duchess, Paignton Zoo's African Elephant. I've contacted Paignton Zoo which was my first step, but I was looking to get some personal stories of people's experience with Duchess, especially those experiences with her when she first came to Paignton Zoo in 1977(a quick little interview over message) and possibly any photographs that people would be willing to share. Any help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!!

Thank You

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Singapore Zoo support

Singapore Zoo support Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi, welcome to Zoo Chat, my animal lover friend.:D

Saxon Parton likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm going to move this thread into the Paignton Zoo sub-forum to improve the chances you get the assistance you require; I'll also tag in some of the members I suspect most likely to have what you want:

@Gigit
    @TriUK
    @FBBird
    @gentle lemur

Saxon Parton and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Saxon Parton

Saxon Parton New Member

Hi, brilliant thank you ever so much. Will any comments just come up on here as normal when you move it to the Paignton zoo sub-forum? :)

5. TeaLovingDave

They will indeed, as demonstrated by the fact your comment just now showed up :)

6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi. I'm out & about now but will indeed help when I get chance later.

Saxon Parton likes this.
  7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'll help if I can.

Saxon Parton likes this.
  8. Saxon Parton

Saxon Parton New Member

Thank you! Any help will be great :)

9. Saxon Parton

Saxon Parton New Member

Thank you!

Some questions that I've got down to be answered by people that known Duchess are these:

Did the care of Duchess change with a greater understanding of her behavior and needs?

When there was a greater understanding of Duchesses needs and behaviour what was the development of the psychology of animal husbandry?

How important is the visitors attitude to Duchess in regard to keeping them up to date with her health etc?

Does you think that Duchess educated the audience regarding endangered habitat and species?

I'm also looking for any information about Duchess's history, I know she came from Longleat before she arrived at Paignton Zoo, but anything else previous to this would be a fantastic help!

Thank you all for responding to this! It's really appreciated :)

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't really help very much. Although I have visited Paignton regularly over the past 10 years or so, my only visit last century was in 1983 and I have absolutely no memory of the elephants on that visit. Funnily enough, the guide book that I bought then does not have any photos of the elephants or any description of them, apart from two very general paragraphs describing the difference between the two species and saying that they are big, have trunks and live a long time.
    Paignton Zoo does have a library, although I have never visited it. I think that might be a great help for background information and I would also suggest that some of the longer serving volunteers at the zoo might be excellent sources of information, if you can get in touch with any of them.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

'Last century'!! factually correct but makes it feel historical! I used to visit Paignton in the 1960's but don't remember the Elephants very well- there were two Asian cows in the original walled enclosure which according to a postcard I have, were called Jumbo and Hospie. I have no recollection though of when Gay and Duchess replaced them, they just became apparent on my later visits.

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

@Saxon Parton - I suspect that some of your questions are more for staff than visitors like us. However, I do have a few memories and some old photos so I'll send you a PM when I get a moment.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I couldn't think of a clearer way putting it, but I did feel very old when I re-read it :( I apologise to everyone else who felt the same.

FunkyGibbon and Pertinax like this.
  14. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Duchess & Gay were housed next to the rhino on a hillside enclosure that was in terraced levels with a dry moat with metal spikes at ground level. Duchess learned to extend her head over her shoulders to reach visitors who fed her pellets & leaves. I have fond memories of doing this. Gay could not quite reach and would be bullied out of the way by Duchess anyway! Gitara did the same to Iris at Twycross. When the new house was built they were tethered at the ankle and walked the approx 600 metres up the main drive past the Antelope paddock (now monkey heights), calmly foraging leaves, to their new enclosure. Although it would not happen now, the educational opportunities to highlight the two different species were great.

15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

That's nothing, I used to visit Dudley last millennium!

Last edited: 8 Apr 2019
    gentle lemur likes this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

To be fair, portions of that area are still in the last millennium :p

17. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member