Join our zoo community

All Things Wild Review of All Things Wild 23 August 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 24 Aug 2019.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

After hearing such good things about this place, I finally made the two hour train journey yesterday (two previous attempts had been thwarted by rain).

It really is an easy collection to get to, the walk from Honeybourne station is barely 5 minutes along excellent paths. There is also a Co-op on the way which is handy for food supplies.

Highlights for the day were definitely the Golden Jackals, which were very much smaller than I was expecting. They didn't seem much bigger than a large fox, but definitely with a more wolf-y stockiness. They were great and I spent a lot of time watching them across the day. Other highlights were rather charming American Beavers, Pardine Genet, a silver-morph Red Fox, a Fennec Fox (which I'm always happy to see), nice active Tayra and a sleeping Virginia Possum. Even the dinosaur area was pretty good.

This collection reminded me most of Wingham. There is a lot of wood and wire, but unlike Wingham it didn't leave me cold, and I left feeling content rather than sad. Maybe it's because ATW doesn't have anything particularly large. The largest wild mammals they have are a pair of Chapman's Zebra (nicely mixed with noisy Guineafowl) and some 'Bactrian' Camels in decent sized paddocks. The jackals have a nice fenced grassy area with a pond and some trees and shrubs for cover. The genets, raccoons and coati have well furnished wood-and-wire enclosures. (By comparison I thought that many of Wingham's enclosures felt quite empty and bare, especially for the larger cat species)

ATW is a zoo where every building should be investigated. The map is pretty bad, but that worked in my favour, as I could happily stumble upon unexpected animals! One part of the map just showed meerkats, so it was lovely to also find Cusimanse and Fennec Fox. In another area, looking at some parrots, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement, and there was a jackal stalking through some long grass. And if I hadn't gone in one if the farm barns (oh it'll just be rabbits), I would have missed the Virginia Possum!

I did like how ATW clearly explained the histories of some of the animals that had less than ideal past lives, often as pets, and the resulting health issues which this may have left them with (eg the parrots with overgrown beaks). A sign at one owl explained that it had been pinioned long before arriving at the zoo, what pinioning meant, and how the zoo was enriching its life in other ways to make up for its lack of flight.

It's definitely not a full-day zoo, but it's a very good half-day one. I ended up spending 5 hours there because my trains were only once every two hours, and I'd much rather spend time watching animals than kicking my heels at a train station.

So, to sum up, I really liked this zoo. It's a nice mixture of zoo and farm, with some nice oddities to keep the zoo-nerd happy. It may lack any cat species, but three species of canine more than makes up for it :)

I've taken plenty of pictures, but these are still on my camera, and will be uploaded in due course.

Arizona Docent, NigeW, Nisha and 8 others like this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm considering going here, even more so now I've read your review. Just annoys me that it will take me about the same amount of time to get there as it takes you, yet it's only 40 miles from my front door. It may have to be a solo trip... ;)

Crowthorne likes this.
  3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for a nice review. Now I know the golden jackals are showing themselves and venturing into their outdoor enclosure, I'll have to have a return visit soon.

Crowthorne likes this.
  4. Crowthorne

@Brum I'd say go, if only for the Jackals, but it's also just a nice place to wander round. The is a lot there to keep little ones amused, and it really is geared more towards children in the main areas, so it's a shame the train journey is so long. I did think of you and your daughter as I walked around, and that it might be a nice trip for you both.

Brum likes this.
  5. Crowthorne

Thank you @Tim May :) the Jackals were outside the whole time I was at their enclosure, although they were quite nervous and weary, and hid a lot in the brush shelters that had been constructed around the bases of the larger trees

Tim May likes this.
  6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Thank you for this interesting review.

Not knowing much about the place, I was prompted by your post to look at their website - Home - All Things Wild.

Here, amongst the usual tacky design and garish presentation, is a thing of absolute wonder: the All Things Wild theme song, where a funky beat backs poetic lyrics (sample: “come and go wild at All Things Wild / where we learn as we play / come and go wild at All Things Wild / such a fun and friendly day”). I think more zoos should commission their own theme songs. Marvelous stuff!

Zia and Crowthorne like this.
  7. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too enjoyed my time here @Crowthorne . Any further developments to the enclosure at the end of the Jackal habitat? Thanks.

Crowthorne likes this.
  8. Crowthorne

Is that the enclosure adjacent to the macaws? It didn't seem to be occupied, although it was well furnished and there looked to be straw in the nest box. No signage either.

9. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I visited it was just some big thick wooden posts, so could be! I don't remember any macaws.

10. Crowthorne

There were a pair of blue and yellow macaws in the central portion of that row of enclosures, and a caracara in the one on the far left, nearest the silver fox. Be interested to know what is planned for the nearly finished enclosure!

TNT likes this.
  11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

After reading your review, I visited again yesterday especially to see the golden jackals. I saw three individuals although, as you mentioned, they were nervous and wary; whenever any noisy children approached their enclosure, the jackals quickly hid in their brush shelters or skulked in the thick vegetation making photography difficult. (I think I'll visit again on a quieter day after the school holidays are over.)

Crowthorne likes this.
  12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I visited today mainly for a change of scenery and quite enjoyed it.
    How many Jackals are there? Initially I only saw one in the house by the window and thought the hatch looked closed, but later noticed another indoors tucked under the little shelter and wondered if what I thought was a wooden shutter, was actually a flap giving them free access.
    Beavers were active, which was nice and the Hutia popped into view for a short while too.
    Interesting to read about the 'silver fox' possibly being from domesticated breeding experiment, or something ... it looked very much like the 'arctic fox' at Axe valley to me.

Zia likes this.
  13. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

We will be visiting the week after next for the first time so thank you for the heads up re the Jackals - I had no idea they were even there. The theme song is a thing of wonder. I intend to give a full rendition when we visit :)

sooty mangabey and Crowthorne like this.
  14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The ones from domesticated breeding experiments tend to be in colours not seen in the wild, often with white bazes on the face and white feet, and are generally longer and leaner- looking than the genuine wild-type which is more compact-looking.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Silver Fox is a colour form of the American Red Fox, quite distinct from an Arctic Fox, which is a smaller and shorter legged animal.

16. Pertinax

I was thinking of the ones at Hoo Farm in Shropshire, which I believe are labelled 'Arctic Foxes' but don't closely resemble the wild version, with white legs/blazes etc. Unless they are actually Silvers, not Arctic?

17. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They have both - I believe it is 2 arctic and 2 silvers but all in the same enclosure.

Pertinax likes this.
  18. Crowthorne

The ones with the white markings will be 'domesticated' silver-morph red foxes. As far as I know, the domestication breeding experiments were only undertaken with red foxes, not arctic foxes

19. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Domestication breeding experiments were indeed done only with American Red Fox varieties. However, I'm pretty sure the Arctic Fox has also been bred in mutation forms for the fur industry. I wonder how well they coexist in the same enclosure, given that the Arctic is smaller?

20. Pertinax

What do they use in Russian Fur Farms. Arctic foxes? I'm sure I've seen film footage of them in dreadful battery- type cages in fur farms and that other colours have been produced.

Re the Hoo Farm foxes, I wouldn't have noticed the differences particularly but at least one of them seemed leaner/longer than Arctic fox so obviously one of the silvers. They allow 'zoo experience' customers to go in and interact with them.