Join our zoo community

All Things Wild Review of All Things Wild 23 August 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 24 Aug 2019.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Definitely neither of those, from @devilfish 's picture: Olive/Abyssinian thrush? - ZooChat

Abyssinian Thrush looks about right to me.

devilfish likes this.
  2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just looked on ZTL under Abyssinian Ground-Thrush (Geokichia piaggiae) and Abyssinian Thrush (Turdus abyssinicus) and they haven’t got any accounts of either species listed.

Wonder where they got the bird from anyone know if they are bred in private collections please?

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

@AdrianW1963 From Prinknash

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many thanks FunkyGibbon

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bumping this as I can't find a general news thread, so has anyone visited recently? Just wondering if there's anything new since the last photo in the gallery is from 15 months ago and the parks own Facebook page doesn't give much animal info...

Thanks in advance if anyone can help! :)

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Was there a couple of months ago as a stop on the way back from Cotswold WP - doesn't seem to have massively changed since the original review here, except that the thing you'll miss if you don't go in the 'rabbit' barn is now a tree shrew rather than an opossum! The beavers were by far the most active I have ever seen and were the real stars of the show. A lot of interesting theming around, including a very elaborate Falklands setup for caracaras. I only saw a jackal very briefly as it made a dash for the shelter! Well worth a look, I'd say.

Mo Hassan, Brum and pipaluk like this.
  7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well as it happens I'm revisiting on Thursday anyway but thanks for the heads up. Looks like there's nothing new (bar the Caracara display of which I've seen photos, I'm not optimistic that it will blow me away... ;):p), but they are only charging £4 entry if you go after 3pm An ideal way to spend the afternoon after a late start at COTW if you ask me! :D

Themonkeyguy1, Mo Hassan and Maguari like this.