Join our zoo community

Faunia Madrid Review of Faunia (Madrid) 22th July 2017

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Kakapo, 24 Jul 2017.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Dear Zoochatters,
    I find surprising that there is only one post in Faunia subforum, concerning about agoutis, but none thread about news, reviews or other general things.
    So is my time for contribute to the forum.

This saturday I went to Madrid to visit Faunia for second time (first one was in 2009) and get photos of those species that I lack and better photos of those I already have. I was here with a friend and his girlfriend. Faunia is a small zoo but it have some very interesting species and some of them are not found anywhere in other european zoos. My friend managed to get entries to Faunia and to the Madrid Zoo at a much more cheap price than it would cost when bought directly at the entry: buying online, adding a discount code and buying both the zoo and the Faunia entries at same time, made a reasonable price, of about 18 euro. If not, the entry would have been nothing less than 35 euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And of course the content of the zoo is not worth this price. This zoo is managed by an enteraintment empress, and it's very much noticeable once inside, there are many children-attracting decoration, many Indiana Johnes style things, many attractions and additions not really related with animals. Despite that is still a very interesting place. Maybe the best thing about it is that is the more inmersive zoo that I've knew ever. There are a lot of free-roaming animals, not peacocks as in many zoos, but lots of waterfowl and prairie dogs, and the wild animals attracted to the zoo and much less shy than in more natural environments are numerous: jackdaws, magpies, sparrows, rabbits, etc.
    Here is my review of the zoo, with special interest in marking those species that are different to Zootierliste list (absences and new additions), so the Zootierliste team can update the list by reading this review.

As I said, Faunia is a small zoo, and the itinerary is extremely simple, one-way, instead the labyrinthic nightmare of many bigger zoos that make you always doubt about if you missed some important exhibit and species. At the entry, there are the typical gift shop, a first aid building, bathroom and the Flamingo kiosk. Soon we arrive to the first thematic zone: The Farm. Usually I never visit the farm/children's zoo in a zoo, but this was in the way for a more interesting exhibit, the Dragon nursery. In the farm there was african pygmy goats (Capra hircus), domestic breed rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus), miniature Falabella horses (Equus caballus), donkeys (Equus asinus) and Vietnamese potbelly pigs (Sus scrofa domesticus), at least. Next to it is the Dragon nursery, a small place where we see a single Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis), too big for be considered a hatching, but too small for be a reproductive individual, so I don't know why it's in a "nursery". Part of the Dragon Nursery was the "touch-touch" section. Very bad in comparation with similar sections of other places. It was closed to public when we arrived, but we only saw very small water tanks with American red crayfish (Procambarus clarkii), red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), and some fishes including red-tailed sharkminnow (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor). As you can see, the animals are not the best for be touched: a crayfish, really??? and quick fishes and sliders that would retreat into the shell or bite a finger? Tanks are not wide and low-deep as are in most touching places of zoos, but too small and deep for an easy interaction. The touching area counts also with a table with lots of dead things for touch: vulture feathers, egg shells, seashells, plant remainings, etc. There are four terraries at one side, apparently inhabited, but impossible to access since the viewable area as the touching area was closed at this time as I said.

Well, we got out of the Farm and Dragon Nursery area, seeing The Lake at our left. The Lake is a big lake where we saw an endemic problem in Faunia: every lake, pond and stream here have a GREEN water. Not a dirty eutrophized water with Spirogyra, but a mint-green stained opaque water with cyanobacteria. Animals do not seems to mind, and maybe is not dangerous for them, but it's unpleasant to sight. In The Lake we see Caribbean flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber) and waterfowl, I've seen in the water mallards (Anas platyrhynchos), female red-crested pochards (Netta rufina), black-necked swans (Cygnus melancoryphus), coscoroba swan (Coscoroba coscoroba), as well as carps (Cyprinus carpio) and islands communicated with ropes, where lives a family of brown capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella). In the nearby land are resting many other waterfowl: Nile geese (Alopochen aegyptiacus), an Andean goose (Chloephaga melanoptera), barnacle goose (Branta leucopsis), red-breasted goose (Branta ruficollis), ruddy shelducks (Tadorna ferruginea) and many Magellanic geese (Chloephaga picta). I look for the females of this one, searching for ruddy-headed geese (Ch. rubidiceps) than the park theorically have (in Zootierliste list), but all were positively females of Ch. picta. A domestic cock also was resting with them, as well as a community of black-tailed prairie dogs (Cynomys ludovicianus). In my 2009 visit there was a facility for give food to the prairie dogs, and the was increcibly fat. Fortunately, this facility disappeared and now the prairie dogs looks like much more healthy, slim but robust. At the other side of The Lake we leave The Olive Tree autoservice restaurant.

We enter then to The Steller's Bay, an amphiteatrum for exhibition of marine mammals. We were enough fortunate to arrive here five minutes before the show start. Here is where lives one of the star species of the zoo: the Stellet's sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). There are two young but well grown animals, that can be seen in the Bay outide spectacle time, but underwater and badly, so of course is much better for photograph to see the spectacle. Here the water is the same deep-mint green of the Lake, just not opaque but translucent. The spectacle start with a pair of California sea lions (Zalophus californianus), a species that ZTL list in the Former list, so it must change to Current list. After the California ones they continue with the Steller's pair. You can bath with the sea lions as an extra activity (very expensive I suppose). Also you can take a photo of you with a sea lion, this photo cost 12 euro!!!!!!! Certainly is not a cheap place.

Leaving the Steller's bay we find an entry to a place that indicates Poney Rides, and soon we enter to the Crocodile Mangrove. There are crocodiles inside but nothing that could be called "mangrove". Climbers and some other plants can be seen growing at the sides, but none mangrove, not natural nor man-made. Crocodiles are Nile ones (Crocodylus niloticus), maybe the most commonly kept species, but with a clean glass and very nice plain background for photo so I take one for substitute other more horizontal photos that I had of this species. In a corner of the Mangrove there is a enclosure for a pair of Golden Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia), the fur of their bodies looks like faded, tan more than golden, only the fur of the heads is golden. Finally, some big pond of the Mangrove is for Nile tilapias (Oreochromis niloticus), Zebra tilapias (Tilapia buttikoferi) and Pseudotropheus sp. It will be the first ot not few labels that indicates the animal as "sp", which is annoying sometimes. There is a special activity for feeding crocodiles by public.

Next to Crocodile mangrove are the butterfly house, called the Eden's Garden. Fulfilled with people, but not with butterflies. They have a couple of plates with watermelon slices, some flower-shaped sponges I suppose embibbed with nectar, hanging from the branches of shrubs, and of course a vitrine of hachting pupae. The only butterflied abundant inside are Heliconius sp, I suppose that at least Heliconius melpomene, but maybe there are another species. The only other species was a single individual of Julia longwing (Dryas iulia) and a single individual of Malachite (Siproeta stelenes), this last one was very fond with the hair of a lady, maybe it tought that here it will find some interesting salts and minerals for drink. Inside the pupation vitrine there was another species, a malformated Atlas moth (Attacus atlas). Some feathers in the ground indicates that there was still zebra finches or canarybirds in the installation too. Also, there are four terrariums for stick insects and some other arthropods. The most annoying thing about these terraries is that usually they have a label with the name of a species, but each terrarium is divided in two equal parts, and one half holds the mentioned species while the other holds a completely unsigned species. For example, the first one was labelled with Vietnamese walking stick (Medauroidea extradentata), but the other half holds Madagascar giant hissing cockroaches, Gromphadorhina portentosa. While the last one holds and signs Pharnacia ponderosa, but the other half was inhabited by unsigned Extatosoma tiaratum. There was also Jungle nymphs (Heteropteryx dilatata), Philippine leaf insects (Phyllium philippinicum) and and unknown tarantula, I suppose one of the commonly kept species such as Grammostola rosea. The butterfly house end in The Hive, were we can see an active honeybee hive protected with a glass.

After passing the Central gift shop and the Owl kiosk, we arrive to one of the highlights of Faunia, if not the best part at all. Called "Silent Shadows", it's the biggest nocturnal house that I've visited and holds a very rich variety of species, some of them rare. Enclosures are illuminated with a low light, I suppose that UV ligh or something similar (it's deep blue). Despite being theorically in the dark time of the day, so animals should be active, many of them are sleeping. The place have a great disadvantage: it's the worst labelled place of all Faunia. There are a lots of labels that indicate animals that are not in this exhibit but in a nearby one, lots of enclosures shared by two species and only one of them labelled, or enclosures without any label at all. So find the species can be a bit tricky. First enclosure is for striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis) in a group and active. Next holds an apparently single springhare (Pedetes capensis), that rarely pass much time outside and one can look for many minutes to an apparently empty exhibit. This enclosure is shared with an unlabelled bushbably (Galago sp). ZTL marks both Galago moholi and Galago senegalensis for Faunia so I would like to know which is this one. The bushbaby is even more difficult to spot than the springhare, and always is out of sight, but I was enough fortunate to photograph it. Soon comes other of the star species of the zoo: the Nancy Maa's night monkey (Aotus nancymaae), no other European zoos hold this species. The monkeys was very quiet in the right extreme of the exhibit. According to labels, this exhibit is shared with a Southern Tamandua (Tamandua tetradactyla), but absolutely no signs of it was seen. At the other side, there is a enclosure shares with a small group of Kirk's dik-diks (Madoqua kirkii) and two big aardvarks (Orycteropus afer), one always sleepin in their den, the other very active and running around. At the other side was the exhibit for one of my very wished species: the Eastern quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus). Unfortunately, the (apparently) three individuals (one dark and two clear) was sleeping and ball-rolled inside their den (that is visible from outside). Following to this is a large enclosure with at least three big binturongs (Arctitis binturong), while in front we see a enclosure with a Reticulated python (Python reticulatus) that is inside the water of its bath. Making corner next to the python there is an enclosure for Egyptian fruit bats (Rousettus aegyptiacus). Labels here indicate both Egyptian and Seba's short tailed bats (Carollia perspicillata) mixed together, but the exhibit only contains Egyptian, while Seba's was after in a different unlabelled enclosure. In the opposite corner of the fruit bats, there are fennecs (Vulpes zerda), followed by an enclosure for two rare Hoffmann's two-toed sloths (Choloepus hoffmanni). Zootierliste list both Hoffmann's and Linnaeus's two toed sloths in Faunia, but I believe that Linnaeus's is an error and Faunia never kept it, in my firt 2009 visit I also only remember Hoffmann's as in this visit. One of them was sleeping, the other active and feeding. My friend's girflied passed a lot of time contemplating the sloths, se fell in love with them, hehe. One can pass several minutes in front of this exhibit and not see nothing more than sloths, but again as with the springhare, there is a bushbaby inside, that occasionally one can see as a quick passing shadow during no more than one second. Again, after several coming back times, I was fortutate for take a photo in one rare moment when the bushbaby was quiet and close. I need to know if it's Galago moholi or Galago senegalensis! Well, next there is a tunnel with one unsigned exhibit at each side, the right one holds the Seba's short-tailed bats mentioned before, shared with Cuban hutias (Capromys pilorides). The other side, every time we visited it looked completely empty of animals, but it was some kind of animal inside for sure, because one time we saw a big plate of fruit pieces, and in another visit the fruits was been dispersed in the soil. Well, then we turn another corner and found a exhibit with Three-striped night monkey (Aotus trivirgatus) shared with Three-banded armadillo (Tolypeutes matacus). I was unable to see the armadillo in first visit, but finally I see rolled in a ball and partially buried in the right corner of the exhibit. In fron there are some aquariums, with Amano shrimps (Caridina multidentata), seahorses (Hippocampus reidi), dartfishes (Nemateleotris magnifica), a starfish (Protoreaster nodosus), etc. Turning again after these aquariums, there is an enclosure shared with at least three Brazilian porcupines (Coendou prehensilis) and again a night monkey of some sort, but this time, unlabelled. I need to know if it's Nancy Maa's or three-striped! At the other side there is a big enclosure for an ocelot (Leopardus pardalis), that was sleeping in the background, over a hanging table. We continue with Northern Racoon (Procyon lotor) enclosure, racoon was sleeping unrolled, with all the belly exposed to above. There is after a Common genet (Genetta genetta) enclosure, genet was sleeping in the tip of a trunk. This side ends with an Oriental short-clawed otter (Aonyx cinerea) enclosure, while at the other side of the corridor there are an enormous electric eel (Electrophorus electricus), and an enigmatic enclosure labelled with Potto (Perodicticus potto). I desperately needed to take photo of a potto, very rarely seen in zoos, but absolutely no potto was inside the enclosure, unless it's hidden behind one of the two small bunches of plastic leaves put for decoration. Instead potto, the exhibit holded a pair of sleeping Lesser hegdehogn tenrecs (Echinops telfairi)... Not sure if potto really deceased and was still labelled, if was saved to behind the scenes, if was actually hidden in the enclosure... anyway I missed it. We come to the end of the nocturnal house, whose last enclosured is shared between an albino Burmese python (Python molurus bivittatus) and a not fully grown Green anaconda (Eunectes murinus). The anaconda was sleeping and rolled everytime and didn't moved in all day, while the python was more active early and after it looked for a good place to sleep too.

We stop to eath our lunch before visit the "Polar Ecosystem" that comes next. I waited for an exhibit from both Antarctic and Arctic poles, but is just a penguin house with some mediterranean/eastern Atlantic aquariums after it. No other Antarctic animals than penguins, and of course absolutely none Arctic animal, and the mediterranean fishes are out of place - but at least they not have here the tropical Lionfish that they had in my 2009 visit! Penguin house is very big and neat, and holds a lot of species of penguins: Gentoo (Pygoscelis papua), King (Aptenodytes patagonicus), Rockhopper (Eudyptes chrysocome) that was all of them concentrated in the right extreme of penguin house, Chinstrap (Pygoscelis antarctica) (not many), and the biggest treasure, Adelie's (Pygoscelis adeliae), that were in the most far background, I've counted only three individuals, but maybe there are some more. This is the only European zoo that holds Adelie's penguins. One of the gentoos was severely ill, partially bald and trembling, uncoordinating movements, looked like soon to die :-( One can buy special activity to enter inside the penguin enclosure. Humboldt's penguins (Spheniscus humboldtii) are kept in a separate enclosure, I suppose that due to the different climatic preferences (not so cold). Turning the corner, one side of the corridor is an underwater penguin view (for Gentoos only, looks like) with an apparently authentic (for the crakes on the bones) complete whale skeleton submerged, as well as many fake plastic starfishes. The other side of the corridor holds the Mediterranean aquariums, of course all of them without species signs: a central column with sparids and similar openwater fishes (Sarpa salpa, various Diplodus including probably D. sargus and D. cervinus, Dicentrarchus labrax, a Mugilidae (Mugil, Chelon, Liza?), Bodianus rufus, Labrus bimaculatus, unid Pagellus sp (looks like)... I need help identifyinb all this. In a corner there are other small Mediterranean tank with a solitary Boarfish (Capros aper) and invertebrates: Mediterranean starfishes (Echinaster sepositus), some unknown urchins and unknown sea cucumber as well as Anemonia sulcata or viridis. Finally, at one side near the end there is an hemicylinder aquarium for Mediterranean posidonia-prairie fishes: painted combers (Serranus scriba), an unknown Symphodus/Crenilabrus, many Kings of the Mullets (Apogon imberbis) and Mediterranean damselfishes (Chromis chromis).

We go out of the Poles and see an enclosure for Aldabra giant tortoises (Geochelone gigantea). Supposedly it's shared with African spurred tortoises (Geochelone sulcata) but we only can see Aldabra's and a red-eared slider in the water, as well as a pair of Grey crowned cranes (Balearica regulorum), one of them, sitting in the ground, was calling during a very long time. I never heard before a crowned crane and it was surprising to me to find the calling so different, both in tune and in duration, to the other cranes. Well, we pass in front of the 3-D cinema Naturactive where they project the film Walking with Dinosaurs, pass by a child park with attractions, the Puffin kiosk, a bathroom and other facilities, and arrive to the Meerkat Territory. Just an enormous meerkat enclosure, looks like tought for an animal of the size of a rhinoceros. At the other side is the Australian Territory, that holds red-necled wallabies and a solitary emu, one can enter in this enclosure. The emu never get out of a small corner of the enclosure: the corner where outside visitors can touch it or give it some food. An heath-walled enclosure holds diminutive miniature dwarf Greater Rheas (Rhea americana), two of them albinos. Not sure if they're young (feathers are completely developed) or a rare domestic breed, but they're not much bigger than a big chicken. "The Nest" is a small building for children where one can see chickens hatching and a small collection of empty eggs of different species, including cassowary, ray and giant tortoise. Australian Territory ends in a walk-through enclosure for Red Kangaroos, all of them resting to the disappointment of my friend's girlfriend, who was expecting to see one jumping. Really not sure if a zone can be called "Australian Territory" holding only three species of australian animals, hehe.

At one side of the Australian Territory is the Underground Mysteries. It's themed like an abandoned mine and has a lot of empty "introductory" space that could be filled with terraries, but once inside there is some nice things. First terrarium holds spiny-tailed lizard, not identied in the label (it says Uromastyx sp), but ZTL says North African mastiqure for Faunia (Uromastyx acanthinura), that is the most commonly kept species, so it must be it. There are a tank with Pangasius sanitwongsei next to it. After the corner, a common water monitor, Varanus salvator. An amethyst python (Morelia amethystina) is somewhere here, I don't remember exactly. After it we find a Fiji banded iguana (Brachylophus fasciatus) (again labeled as Brachylophus sp.) Galleries for naked mole rats (Heterocephalus glaber), but none seens. Follows a Chinese giant salamander (Andrias davidianus), species not listed in ZTL. After a tank with Spotted garden eels (Heteroconger hassi) and many cnidarians, some urchins, etc. Mexican blind tetras (Astyanax jordani) follow after, and a New Caledonian giant gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus) that I also cannot detect in ZTL. Maybe I miss some exhibit but I don't remember more species here.

Following the border of Australian Territory after go outside, we find a Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens) enclosure. The panda was sleep in the high branches of a medium sized pinyon pine that grows in the enclosure. If it jumps or falls, it would land in the path, outside the enclosure... We follow the path, theorically there is a "Flight Prairie" here, but we don't find anymore than a long and boring "Dinosaur Canyon" with lifesize dinosaur models, more of them static but some animatronic too.

We arrive after to the "Temperate Forest". It's like a giant waltk-through enclosure with a smaller non-walkthrough part inside it. In the non-walkthrough part is holded the third of the species exclusively kept in this zoo in Europe, after Nancy Maa's night monkey and Adelie penguin: the Brown brocket deer (Mazama gouazoubira). It shares this "private" part with common cranes (Grus grus), Indian muntjacks (Muntiacus muntjack) and maras (Dolichotis patagonum). There are two dens/caves in the middle, inside the right one is the brocket deer (apparently only one), the left one holds two muntjacks, while maras and cranes was in open space. In the rest of the Temperate Forest, animals are roaming together with people, there are Demoiselle Cranes (Anthropoides virgo) feeding on children hands, as also does a couple of domestic turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo), also there are some Crested screamers (Chauna torquata) and muntjacks, one male and various females. Since ZTL list both Indian and Reeves's muntjacks for Faunia, and the Indian was indicated for the "private" enclosure, the ones outside the enclosure would be the Reeves's?

Leaving the Temperate Forest we enter the Jungle. One of the highlights of Faunia as it holds several species. The entry is the Amazonian aquarium for Antillean manatees (Trichechus manatus) and big fishes. In the 2009 visit I remember several Arapaima (Arapaima gigas), but now I only see two of them, and one is severely deformated. Of course there are some red-tailed catfish (Phractocephalus hemioliopterus), that every manatee-arapaima tank have. But the most frequent inhabitant are pacus, more pacus and more pacus (Colossoma macropomum). We find some smaller tanks next, of course all of them unsigned. One filled with Bucktooth tetras (Exodon paradoxus), species not listed in ZTL. The caiman lizard (Dracaena guianensis) also is not listed for ZTL. Other holds Firehead tetras (Hemigrammus bleheri), also not listed for Faunia in ZTL. Spotted gars (Lepisosteus oculatus), also not listed in ZTL. Other holds domestic guppies (Poecilia reticulata), also not listed in ZTL. A cichlid that probably it's Apistogramma agassizii (also not listed) follows after. We find then Marbled headstanders (Abramites hypselonotus), also not listed in ZTL. After this series of aquariums there are again some enclosures for terrestrial animals, we find again the Cuban hutias (Capromys pilorides). There is a very deep tank for Spectacled caiman (Caiman crocodilus), some Geophagus-like cichlids, Pterygoplichthys sp. and an ocellated river stingray, Potamotrygon motoro. Here is also where we find the enclosure of Andean cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruviana), apparently a single female. There are common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus), and Goeldi's monkeys (Callimico goeldii). Follows a rhinoceros iguana (Cyclura cornuta). In the other side, there is a walk-throug jungle section, but you must enter with a guide (in 2009 not) and the species kept inside was easy to see from outside, so I didn't entered. Here are common squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus), blue and yellow macaw (Ara ararauna), scarlet macaw (Ara macao), and the very interesting couple of Swainson's toucans (Ramphastos ambiguus swainsonii), a taxon more rarely seen in European zoos than I've expected. Silly of me, I don't remember that here is where the Yellow-knobbed curassows (Crax daubentoni) can be found, and I lack photos of this species, but I remembered it when I already was out of Faunia. Well, there is then a big balconry over a recreation of jungle, where animals can fly over you if they want. At the other side a free couple of macaws, one of them military (Ara militaris) and signed as red-cheeked (Ara rubrogenys), a species that they had formerly in the same enclosure, but that disappeared from Faunia, however the sign remained. The other macaw is gold and blue or scarlet, I don't remember. In the jungle recreation there are faded Scarlet ibises (Eudocimus ruber), toco toucans (Ramphastos toco), blue-fronted amazons (Amazona aestiva), yellow-naped amazons (Amazona auropalliata)... Labels also indicates Chilean lapwing (Vanellus chilensis) but I don't see them. But the best are the sakis. Various white-faced sakis (Pithecia pithecia), mostly males and one female, catch sunflower seeds and other food from people's hands. Not sure if it's right, the zoo sells food for give to various animals but I believe that sakis are not included, and they was sitting over the signs of "Please do not feed the animals". Well. The Jungle doesn't end with this open free jungle recreation, there are more enclosures for marmosets, etc. Pygmy marmosets (Cebuella pygmaea), a terrarium with a milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum, not sure of the subspecies), and overwater view of the manatee tank, Geoffroy's marmoset (Callithrix geoffroyi), emperor tamarins (Saguinus imperator subgrisescens), and aguti (Myoprocta pratti) that holds enclosure with domestic guineapigs (Cavia porcellus), there is a sign of hairy armadillo (Chaetophractus villosus) somewhere, but not seen...

Well, after ending the Jungle, we enter the African Forest. It's more or less the same than was in 2009, but with less species and less unaccurate ones (the American black oystercatcher, as associated to Africa as to forests, deceased, and demoiselle cranes was traslated to another place...) Inside the "African forest", another big walkthrough enclosure, there are only lemurs and birds. Lemurs are ring-tailed (Lemur catta), with a big group of youngs playing, brown lemurs (Eulemur fulvus) most of them white-fronted (Eulemur fulvus albifrons) but at least one with brown head... and red ruffed lemur (Varecia rubra) according to signs, but not seen anywhere. Birds seen was sacred ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus), domestic helmeted guineafowl (Numida meleagris) (a couple of them were white), a cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis), two grey-hooded gulls (Larus cirrocephalus poiocephalus), yellow-legged gull (Larus cachinnans michahellis), a white-cheeked turaco (Tauraco leucotis), a black-throated magpie-jay (Calocitta colliei) (american, not african!), and a purple glossy starling (Lamprotornis purpureus).

Next to it is the Pelican Lake. It holds both Great White (Pelecanus onocrotalus) and Pink-backed (Pelecanus rufescens) pelicans, as well as Great Cormorants (Phalacrocorax carbo sinensis), domestic muscovy duck (Cairina moschata) and black swans (Cygnus atratus). We arrived in the time of feeding and saw the cormorants gulping big trouts. A free domestic cat was waiting for the remainings. Outside the enclosure, a mute swan (Cygnus olor) was walking slowly. Here I also had a curious wildlife sight, a very markedly partially leucistic blackbird.

Well, now a longer path pass through an aviary "Lorikeets". It holds rainbow lorikeets (Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus) and turacos. Labels indivate exclusively red-crested turaco (Tauraco porphyreolophus), but inside there was red-crested, white-cheeked and violet turacos (Musophaga violacea). Maybe they should change the name of the exhibit from "Lorikeets" to "Turacos"...
    And next, in the opposite border of "The Lake", there is "The Island". It's just nothing more than a collared peccary enclosure (Tayassu tajacu). Here is where in 2009, brocket deers was hold together with capybaras, the exhibit being called "Mazama Island", and I was absolutely unable to see any brocket deer. Today, so, capybaras disappeared from Faunia and mazamas was traslocated to Temperate Forest, and the island filled with peccaries. My friend's girlfriend was hungry and seeing pigs makes her more hungry, hehehe. But I believe that a peccary ham is not very meaty, their legs are much smaller than one of a domestic pig :p

The last of the thematic zones of Faunia was "Venom". For me is the most interesting of all, as it holds many more species, in better conditions for photograph, and in much more museum-style. In fact, despite the rattlesnake head shaped entry, it's partly museistic, with lots of vitrines exposing things, from snake shed skins, skeletons and fangs, to dried scorpions, coral skeletons, poisonous plants preserved, mushroom figures, etc... and at the end, the biggest and most fabulous collection of pinned tropical butterflies and beetles (and some boxes of Iberian butterflies as well), that I got tons of new species for my photo archive. Of course, "Venom" is also fulfilled with living creatures (many of them non venomous at all.... any tropical reef fish go here, for example). The first thing that one can find at the entry us a tank with a small lionfish (Pterois volitans). At one side, an aquarium said the be "being reformated" (these kind of things are always empty, not?) holds two stonefishes (Synanceja verrucosa) and a laced moray (Gymnothorax favagineus). The opposite aquarium is labelled as if a longhorn boxfish (Lactoria cornuta) was it's only inhabitant, but inside there is no Lactoria, instead, a yellow boxfish (Ostracion cubicus), some golden-tailed demoiselles (Chrysiptera parasema) or a similar species (mistaken with "Dory" by my friend's girlfriend), and other fish that I don't remember now, maybe a Ctenochaetus. After this aquarium room, a series of terrariums holds interesting species, such as puff adder (Bitis arietans), giant monkey frog (Phyllomedusa bicolor), a parially albino kingsnake (Lampropeltis sp), a group of two-spotted assasin bugs (Platymeris biguttatus), a highlight for me: American black widow (Latrodectus mactans) (I love to see captive spiders that are not tarantulas and are brightly coloured), sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes), golden starburst tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus)... a terrarium indicated golden-eyed stick insects (Peruphasma schultei) but none seen. Turning the corner there is an aquarium with Moon jellies (Aurelia aurita). At the other side starts a series of aquariums, including Spinecheek anemonefish (Premnas biaculeatus), with Diadema urchins, copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus), clown anemonefish (Amphiprion ocellaris), etc. Ther are also some plastic oversized Portuguese man-of-war (Physalia phyalis) accurate models in a fake tank. In the opposite side there are dart frogs: yellow (Phyllobates terribilis), blue (Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'), and dyeing (Dendrobates tinctorius), while in fronts are more terrariums, not remember the content of all but the last one holds a rarely seen species, Ceylon pitviper (Trimeresurus trigonocephalus), species that I lack photos of, but so hidden between foliage that was impossible to take a photo of it. Well, there is a dark room then with terrariums in darkness.. one with copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix), other with a numerous group of Kaiser's spotted newts (Neurergus kaiseri) and the third with Central American bushmaster (Lachesis stenophrys), species kept only at 4 european zoos. We continue with some vitrines of horribly made handfraft of pitohui and platypus, equipment for snake catching, etc, while at the other side there are two terrariums, one with nose-horned viper (Vipera ammodytes) and the other with Baron's green racer (Philodryas baroni). After passing a series of supergiant accurate figures of venomous animals (poison dart frog, wasp, black widow...), we almost miss a small corner room where is hold other of the wished highlights: a pair of pygmy slow lorises (Nycticebus pygmaeus), both inside their den, but waked up. Well, now it appear a giant reef tank with tropical fishes, including orange-spotted spinefoots (Siganus guttatus), barhead spinefoot (Siganus virgatus), foxfaces (Siganus vulpinus), an orange-lined filefish (Balistapus undulatus) (not listed in ZTL), guineafowl puffer (Arothron meleagris) (not listed in ZTL), Pacific sailfin (Zebrasoma veliferum) (not in ZTL), yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), twotone tang (Zebrasoma scopas), japanese surgeonfish (Acanthurus japonicus), a yellow damselfish pending to ID, one single individual of unidentified squirrelfish that always swim very quickly following the same path periodically forever, a juvenile parrotfish Cetoscarus bicolor, Amphiprion ephippium, Abudefduf saxatilis, various Dascyllus and probably more that I forgot. Out of the aquarium there is a series of terrariums for giant hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis), unidentified Scolopendra sp (not seen), a flat rock scorpion (Hadogenes troglodytes), a Brazilian bird-eating tarantula (Lasiodora parahybana), and Mexican red-kneed tarantula (Brachypelma smithi). In the opposite side of this bir room there is a giant luminous world map for step in it, surrounded by terrariums: black mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis), Gaboon viper (Bitis gabonica), king cobra (Ophiopagus hannah), and in the opposite wall, beaded lizard (Heloderma horridum) and gila monster (Heloderma suspectum), followed with an unidentified millipede terrary where I can't find any millipede. So now is where whe find the pinned insect giant collections, there is also gallery for an ant colony but is empty.

So we finished our Faunia visit. I got photos of most of the wished speces and was a fantastic day with my beloved friend and his kind girlfriend, surrounded of some fantastic creatures. Resuming it I would say that the park have next pros and cons:

PROS
    It's relatively small and easy to walk. There is a recommended one-way pathway and it's difficult to miss some important exhibit.
    It holds a lot of rarely seen species, and it lacks the boring mediatic big animals of the standard zoo, such as lions, giraffes, zebras, etc.
    It's increcibly interactive and many of the animals are either free running/flying or in enormous walkthrough enclosures, you can touch and feed many rare species.

CONS
    It's the most increcibly expensive zoo that I've meet ever, considering the size of the zoo and numer of species kept it should cost no more than 15 euro, but buying the ticket in the own zoo can cost you 35 euro. Fortunately there are ways for get cheaper tickets (online, discounts, combining with Zoo, etc).
    The labelling of each animal is one of the worst that I've seen in any zoo/aquarium.
    It's more crowded than the Madrid zoo, overall in closed buildings. Incivism here looks like also more frequent: for example, people disattached the "Don't" word in the "Don't hit the glasses" signs, and not only the childs, but the parents was hiting them.

PHOTOS FOR IDENTIFICATION AND ILLUSTRATION OF THE THREAD WILL FOLLOW LATER. I have not much time to upload them...

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I already cannot edit this post. In "Silent Shadows", please substitute water monitor (Varanus salvator) by crocodile monitor (Varanus salvadorii). My fail.

3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited in December and really enjoyed my visit. I really liked the nocturnal house, and was amazed when I saw the heavy rain in the jungle section, it felt like I was in the amazon! I agree it is expensive (make sure you book online, you save a small fortune), but the seal and manatee experience was great value at 90 euros for two people. You get to go in the water with the manatees and feed them their dinner. I even got to feed potato to the baby manatee! :)

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you for the comprehensive review of a zoo that many of us are unfamiliar with. It sounds like they have some interesting themed exhibits like their venom exhibit and nocturnal house.

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I've forgot to include some species, such as coatis at Silent Shadows and axolotl at Underground Mysteries. For zootierliste usage: this is the ZTL Faunia list, divided in groups (seen, not seen but signed, and not seend nor signed) plus the species that I saw but are not in Zootierliste:

SEEN:
    Aardvark (Orycteropus afer)
    Adelie penguin* (Pygoscelis adeliae*)
    African gray-headed gull (Chroicocephalus cirrocephalus poiocephalus)
    Aldabra giant tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea (Syn.: Geochelone gigantea) (Syn.: Dipsochelys dussumieri))
    Amethystine python (Scrub python) (Simalia amethistina (Syn.: Morelia amethistina) (Syn.: Liasis amethistinus))
    Andean cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruvianus peruvianus)
    Andean goose (Chloephaga melanoptera)
    Antillean manatee (West Indian Manatee) (Trichechus manatus manatus)
    Arapaima (Arapaima gigas)
    Asian small-clawed otter (Oriental small-clawed otter) (Aonyx cinerea (Syn.: Amblyonyx cinereus))
    Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)
    Barhead spinefoot (Siganus virgatus)
    Barking deer (Kakar) (Indian muntjac) (No Subspecific status)* (Muntiacus muntjak*)
    Barnacle goose (Branta leucopsis)
    Baron's green racer (Philodryas baroni)
    Bearded emperor tamarin (Saguinus imperator subgrisescens)
    Binturong (Bear-cat) (No Subspecific status) (Arctictis binturong)
    Black mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis)
    Black swan (Cygnus atratus)
    Black-capped capuchin (Guianan brown capuchin) (no subspecies-status) (Sapajus apella (Syn.: Cebus apella))
    Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus (Syn.: Cygnus melanocoryphus))
    Black-tailed prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus)
    Black-throated magpie-jay (Calocitta colliei)
    Blue poison dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus" (Syn.: Dendrobates azureus))
    Blue-and-yellow macaw (Ara ararauna)
    Blue-fronted amazon (Amazona aestiva aestiva)
    Brazilian porcupine (Coendou prehensilis)
    Bronze Turkey (Broad Breasted Bronze) (Meleagris gallopavo f. domestica)
    Brown brocket deer (Gray brocket deer)* (Mazama gouazoubira*)
    Burmese rock python (Python bivittatus (Syn.: Python molurus bivittatus))
    Callimico (Goeldi's monkey) (Goeldi's marmoset) (Callimico goeldii)
    Cardinal tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi (Syn.: Cheirodon axelrodi) (Syn.: Hyphessobrycon cardinalis))
    Caribbean flamingo (Red flamingo) (Phoenicopterus ruber ruber)
    Central American bushmaster* (Lachesis stenophrys*)
    Ceylon pitviper (Sri Lankan pitviper) (Trimeresurus trigonocephalus (Syn.: Craspedocephalus trigonocephalus))
    Chestnut mandibled toucan (Swainson's toucan)* (Ramphastos swainsonii (Syn.: Ramphastus tocard) (Syn.: Ramphastos ambiguus swainsonii)*)
    Chinstrap penguin (Ringed penguin) (Bearded penguin)* (Pygoscelis antarcticus*)
    Collared peccary (no subspecies-status) (Pecari tajacu (Syn.: Tayassu tajacu))
    Common emu (Great emu) (Dromaius novaehollandiae)
    Common genet* (Genetta genetta genetta*)
    Common squirrel monkey (South American squirrel monkey) (Saimiri sciureus)
    Common stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)
    Copperhead (No Subspecific status) (Agkistrodon contortrix)
    Crested screamer (Southern screamer) (Chauna torquata (Syn.: Chauna cristata))
    Crocodile monitor (Varanus salvadorii)
    Demoiselle crane (Anthropoides virgo (Syn.: Grus virgo))
    Desmarest's hutia (Cuban hutia) (Capromys pilorides)
    Domestic fowl (No Breed-status) (Gallus gallus f. domestica)
    Dwarf mongoose (No Subspecific status) (Helogale parvula)
    Dyeing dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius)
    Eastern gaboon viper (East African Gaboon viper) (Bitis gabonica (Syn.: Bitis gabonica gabonica))
    Eastern quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus (Syn.: Dasyurus quoll))
    Egyptian fruit bat (West African rousette) (No Subspecific status) (Rousettus aegyptiacus)
    Egyptian goose (Alopochen aegyptiaca (Syn.: Alopochen aegyptiacus))
    Electric eel (Electrophorus electricus)
    Emperor goose (Anser canagicus (Syn.: Chen canagica))
    Eurasian crane (Grus grus grus)
    Eurasian great cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo sinensis)
    Eyelash viper (Eyelash mountain viper) (Bothriechis schlegelii (Syn.: Bothrops schlegelii))
    Falabella horse (Falabella pony) (Equus ferus f. caballus (Syn.: Equus przewalskii f. caballus))
    Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda (Syn.: Fennecus zerda))
    Fiji banded iguana (Brachylophus fasciatus)
    Fire Goby (Fire dartfish) (Red Fire goby) (Nemateleotris magnifica)
    Foxface (Common foxface) (Siganus vulpinus (Syn.: Lo vulpinus))
    Freshwater angelfish (Breeding-form) (Pterophyllum scalare)
    Frill-necked lizard (Frilled lizard) (Frilled dragon) (Chlamydosaurus kingii)
    Geoffroy's marmoset (Geoffroy's tufted-ear marmoset) (Callithrix geoffroyi (Syn.: Callithrix leucocephala))
    Giant leaf frog (Giant waxy monkey frog) (Phyllomedusa bicolor)
    Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum)
    Golden lion tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia)
    Golden poison frog (Phyllobates terribilis)
    Great white pelican (Eastern white pelican) (Pelecanus onocrotalus (Syn.: Pelecanus roseus))
    Greater rhea (Common rhea) (Rhea americana)
    Greenish acuchy (Myoprocta pratti (Syn.: Myoprocta acouchy pratti))
    Grey-crowned crane (Royal crane) (No Subspecific status) (Balearica regulorum)
    Guinea pig (No Breeds-status) (Cavia aperea f. porcellus)
    Helmeted guineafowl (No Subspecific status) (Numida meleagris)
    Hispaniolan rhinoceros iguana (Cyclura cornuta cornuta)
    Hoffmann's two-toed sloth* (Choloepus hoffmanni*)
    Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)
    Humboldt's night monkey (Northern owl monkey)* (Aotus trivirgatus*)
    Kaiser's Spotted newt (Luristan newt) (Neurergus kaiseri)
    King cobra (Hamadryad) (Ophiophagus hannah)
    King penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus)
    Kirk's dik-dik (no subspecies-status) (Madoqua kirkii (Syn.: Madoqua kirki))
    Komodo dragon (Komodo monitor) (Varanus komodoensis)
    Laced moray (Gymnothorax favagineus (Syn.: Gymnothorax permistus) (Syn.: Muraena tesselata))
    Longsnout seahorse (Hippocampus reidi)
    Magellan goose (No Subspecific status) (Chloephaga picta)
    Meerkat (Suricata suricatta)
    Mexican beaded lizard (no subspecific status) (Heloderma horridum)
    ??? Moholi bushbaby (Southern lesser bushbaby)* (Galago moholi (Syn.: Galago senegalensis moholi)*)
    Mute swan (Cygnus olor)
    Nancy Ma's Night Monkey (Ma's Night Monkey)* (Aotus nancymaae (Syn.: Aotus nancymai)*)
    Nepalese red panda (Ailurus fulgens fulgens)
    Nile crocodile (no subspecific status) (Crocodylus niloticus)
    Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus (Syn.: Tilapia nilotica))
    North African mastigure (North African spiny-tailed lizard) (Uromastyx acanthinura)
    Northern mallard duck (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos)
    Northern Raccoon (Common Raccoon) (Procyon lotor)
    Nose-horned viper (no subspecific status) (Vipera ammodytes)
    Ocellate river stingray (Potamotrygon motoro (Syn.: Potamotrygon laticeps))
    Ocelot (No Subspecific status) (Leopardus pardalis (Syn.: Felis pardalis))
    Orange-spotted Spinefoot (Siganus guttatus)
    Oriental fire-bellied newt (Chinese fire-bellied newt) (Hypselotriton orientalis (Syn.: Cynops orientalis))
    Oriental fire-bellied toad (Eastern fire-bellied toad) (Bombina orientalis)
    Pacu (Colossoma macropomum (Syn.: Colossoma nigripinne) (Syn.: Myletes macropomus))
    Patagonian cavy (Mara) (Dolichotis patagonum)
    Peters elephantnose fish (Gnathonemus petersii)
    Pink-backed pelican (Pelecanus rufescens)
    Puff adder (Bitis arietans (Syn.: Bitis lachesis))
    Purple glossy-starling (Lamprotornis purpureus)
    Pygmy marmoset (no subspecies-status) (Cebuella pygmaea (Syn.: Callithrix pygmaea))
    Pygmy slow loris (Nycticebus pygmaeus)
    Red kangaroo (Osphranter rufus (Syn.: Macropus rufus))
    Red lionfish (Pterois volitans)
    Red Piranha (Red-bellied piranha) (Pygocentrus nattereri (Syn.: Serrasalmus nattereri))
    Red-breasted goose (Branta ruficollis)
    Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina)
    Red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans)
    Red-necked wallaby (No Subspecific status) (Notamacropus rufogriseus (Syn.: Macropus rufogriseus) (Syn.: Protemnodon rufogrisea))
    Redtail catfish (Phractocephalus hemioliopterus)
    Reeves' muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi)
    Reticulated python (Regal python) (No Subspecific status) (Malayopython reticulatus (Syn.: Broghammerus reticulatus) (Syn.: Python reticulatus))
    Ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta)
    Ruddy shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea)
    Sacred ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus)
    Scarlet ibis (Eudocimus ruber)
    Scarlet macaw (Red-and-yellow macaw) (Ara macao)
    Seba's short-tailed bat (Carollia perspicillata)
    ??Senegal bushbaby (Northern lesser bushbaby) (No Subspecific status) (Galago senegalensis)
    South American coati (Brown-nosed coati) (Ring-tailed coati) (No Subspecific status) (Nasua nasua (Syn.: Nasua rufa))
    Southern springhare (Pedetes capensis (Syn.: Pedetes capensis capensis))
    Southern three-banded armadillo (Tolypeutes matacus)
    Spectacled caiman (No Subspecific status) (Caiman crocodilus (Syn.: Caiman sclerops))
    Spotted Garden Eel (Heteroconger hassi (Syn.: Taenioconger hassi))
    Steller sea lion* (Eumetopias jubatus*)
    Striped skunk (Mephitis mephitis)
    Subantarctic gentoo penguin (Pygoscelis papua papua)
    Thailand giant catfish (Pangasius sanitwongsei)
    Tiger oscar (Astronotus ocellatus)
    Toco toucan (No Subspecific status) (Ramphastos toco)
    Vietnamese potbelly (Sus scrofa f. domestica)
    Violet turaco (Violet plantain-eater) (Musophaga violacea (Syn.: Musophaga violacea violacea))
    West African pygmy goat (African dwarf goat) (Cameroon dwarf goat) (Capra aegagrus f. hircus)
    Western cattle egret (Buff-backed heron) (Bubulcus ibis ibis (Syn.: Ardeola ibis ibis))
    Western rockhopper penguin (South American rockhopper penguin) (Eudyptes chrysocome chrysocome (Syn.: Eudyptes chrysocome))
    White tufted-ear marmoset (Common marmoset) (Callithrix jacchus)
    White-cheeked turaco (Nominate subspecies) (Tauraco leucotis leucotis (Syn.: Menelikornis leucotis leucotis))
    White-faced saki (Pithecia pithecia (Syn.: Pithecia pithecia pithecia))
    White-fronted lemur (Eulemur albifrons (Syn.: Eulemur fulvus albifrons))
    Yellow-legged gull* (Larus michahellis (Syn.: Larus cachinnans michahellis)*)
    Yellow-naped parrot (Nominate subspecies) (Amazona auropalliata auropalliata)
    Zebra Tilapia (Heterotilapia buttikoferi (Syn.: Tilapia buttikoferi))

SIGNED; NOT SEEN:
    African spurred tortoise (Centrochelys sulcata (Syn.: Geochelone sulcata) (Syn.: Testudo sulcata))
    Big hairy armadillo (Chaetophractus villosus)
    Naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber)
    Potto (Bosman's Potto)* (Perodicticus potto (Syn.: Pseudopotto martini)*)
    Red ruffed lemur (Varecia rubra (Syn.: Varecia variegata rubra))
    Southern lapwing (Chilean lapwing) (Vanellus chilensis (Syn.: Belonopterus chilensis))
    Southern tamandua (No Subspecific status) (Tamandua tetradactyla)

NOT SEEN, NOT SIGNED (for many species, probably absent, or behind the scenes):
    Ashy-headed goose (Chloephaga poliocephala)
    Australian water dragon (Eastern water dragon) (No Subspecific status) (Intellagama lesueurii (Syn.: Physignathus lesueurii) (Syn.: Istiurus lesueurii))
    Bahama pintail (No Subspecific status) (Anas bahamensis)
    Banded pipefish (Ringed pipefish) (Dunckerocampus dactyliophorus (Syn.: Doryrhamphus dactyliophorus))
    Barred sorubim (Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum)
    Black and white ruffed lemur (Varecia variegata variegata)
    Blotched foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
    Blue-red colombian tetra (Colombian tetra) (Hyphessobrycon columbianus (misid.: Hyphessobrycon ecuadoriensis) (Syn.: Moenkhausia columbiana))
    Bluespotted ribbontail ray (Ribbontailed stingray) (Taeniura lymma)
    Boa constrictor (No species or subspecies status) (Boa constrictor (sensu lato))
    Brownspotted spinefoot (Siganus stellatus)
    Canary bird (Serinus canaria f. domestica)
    Cane-brake rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus atricaudatus)
    Chestnut teal (Anas castanea)
    Common pheasant (Ring-necked pheasant) (No Subspecific status) (Phasianus colchicus)
    Demason's cichlid (Pseudotropheus demasoni)
    Emperor cichlid (Aulonocara nyassae)
    Florida softshelled turtle (Apalone ferox (Syn.: Trionyx ferox))
    Forest cobra (Naja melanoleuca)
    Four-toed hedgehog (African pygmy hedgehog) (Atelerix albiventris)
    Giant wood-rail (Aramides ypecaha)
    Goldfish (Carassius auratus f. domestica (Syn.: Carassius gibelio forma auratus))
    Gray mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus)
    Green anole (Anolis carolinensis (Syn.: Anolis braccatus))
    Green basilisk (Basiliscus plumifrons)
    Harris' hawk (Bay-winged hawk) (no subspecific status) (Parabuteo unicinctus)
    Java sparrow (Padda oryzivora (Syn.: Lonchura oryzivora))
    Lesser flamingo (Phoeniconaias minor (Syn.: Phoenicopterus minor))
    Linnaeus' two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus)
    Long-nosed horned frog (Megophrys nasuta)
    Long-tailed chinchilla (Chilean chinchilla) (Chinchilla lanigera (Syn.: Chinchilla velligera))
    Magellanic penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus)
    Marine toad (Cane toad) (Rhinella marina (Syn.: Bufo marinus))
    Mata-Mata (Chelus fimbriatus)
    Merino (Ovis orientalis f. aries)
    Mexican lance-headed rattlesnake (Crotalus polystictus)
    Monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia (Syn.: Naja naja kaouthia))
    Ornate bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis)
    Parker’s snake-necked turtle (Chelodina parkeri (Syn.: Macrochelodina parkeri))
    Payara* (Hydrolycus scomberoides*)
    Prickly leatherjacket (Chaetodermis penicilligerus (Syn.: Monacanthus spinosissimus))
    Ruddy-headed goose (Chloephaga rubidiceps)
    Savanna monitor (Varanus exanthematicus)
    Silkie Bantam (No Breed-status) (Gallus gallus f. domestica)
    Silver pheasant (No Subspecific status) (Lophura nycthemera)
    Silvertip tetra (Hasemania nana (Syn.: Tetragonopterus nanus) (Syn.: Hasemania marginata))
    Six-banded armadillo (Euphractus sexcinctus)
    Small desert jerboa (Jumping mouse) (Jaculus jaculus (Syn.: Dipus aegyptius))
    Sun conure (Aratinga solstitialis)
    Tiger sorubim (Pseudoplatystoma tigrinum)
    Violet goby* (Gobioides broussonnetii*)
    Western eurasian griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus fulvus)
    Western Siberian Eagle-owl (Bubo bubo sibiricus)
    White-throated monitor (Cape monitor) (No Subspecific status) (Varanus albigularis)
    Yellow-knobbed curassow* (Crax daubentoni*)
    Zebra finch (Domestic form) (Taeniopygia guttata f. domestica (Syn.: Poephila guttata f. domestica))

SEEN, BUT NOT LISTED IN ZOOTIERLISTE:
    Bicolour parrotfish (Cetoscarus bicolor)
    Blue tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
    Boarfish (Capros aper)
    Bucktooth tetra (Exodon paradoxus)
    Chinese giant salamander (Andrias davidianus)
    Clown anemonefish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
    Common two-banded seabream (Diplodus vulgaris)
    Copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)
    Cow bream (Sarpa salpa)
    Cuckoo wrasse (Labrus mixtus)
    Firehead tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)
    Goldtail demoiselle (Chrysiptera parasema)
    Green anaconda (Eunectes murinus)
    Guineafowl puffer (Arothron meleagris)
    Japanese surgeonfish (Acanthurus japonicus)
    King of the mullets (Apogon imberbis)
    Marbled headstander (Abramites hypselonotus)
    Mediterranean damselfish (Chromis chromis)
    New Caledonian giant gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus)
    Orange-lined triggerfish (Balistapus undulatus)
    Pacific sailfin tang (Zebrasoma veliferum)
    Rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus)
    Red-crested turaco (Tauraco erythrolophus)
    Saddle anemonefish (Amphiprion ephippium)
    Spinecheek anemonefish (Premnas biaculeatus)
    Spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus)
    Sulphur damsel (Pomacentrus sulphureus)
    Twotone tang (Zebrasoma scopas)
    White seabream (Diplodus sargus)
    Yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
    Zebra seabream (Diplodus cervinus)

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

All the relevant photos are uploaded to the Faunia gallery:
    Faunia Madrid - Photo Galleries | ZooChat

They're in inverse cronological order to the pathway related in the first post.
    Please those with knowlegde considere to give some help with the identification of bushbabies, night monkey, tarantula and fishes.

7. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Kakpo, just read your amazing detailed review from 2017 visit. Thank you, l did find a cheaper ticket online.

I visited today 23 oct 2022 and as my Zoo interest is more focussed on Gorillas, primates, enrichment and architecture l will focus more on this.

Firstly, the owner of the zoo has stopped funding maintance, as the entire zoo is looking very tired and broken.
    A pet hate of mine is to see pond liners. Its almost s required here...

Attached Files:

8. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Must say they did do very well with horticulture in indoor reptile exhibits and the Jungle exhibit. Dissapointing that you can only access squirrel monkey exhibit for extra fee.
    Watching the Saki moving freely between public and exhibit spaces a hoot as it suprised many.

Attached Files:

9. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I vividly remember the squirrel monkey exhibit being free with your entrance in my visit... What a shame.
    It's truly sad to see Faunia is being abandoned like this.

10. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Hello friends
    I am planning a trip to Spain in June 2023, and have a question about Faunia. How much time would I need to comfortably see anything? I plan to visit on Sunday (not ideal, I know, but that's the only day I will have available) and am planning to take an evening train to Valencia the same day. It looks like Faunia opens at 11 am, and I am thinking of taking a 5:30 pm train, which would mean that I will need to leave the zoo no later than 4:30 pm. So will 5 or 5 1/2 hours be enough to see everything?

11. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's comfortably enough time. Nocturnal species need more time, because they not always show up, but anything else will not take you more than 2.5 hours. Don't miss the rare penguins and venomous snake collection. Sadly the biggest rarity of the the zoo, the last Mazama in Europe, died few weeks ago.

Enjoy your visit!

12. SivatheriumGuy

I think you'll be able to see everything in that time, although I'd personally sit through the pinniped show just for the Steller sea lions and Cape fur seals since you can't normally see those if not in the show.
    I didn't realize the mazama passed away, those are genuinely sad news. :(

13. zoo_enthusiast

Thank you! I am looking forward to my visit!
    I am sorry to hear about the Mazama, fortunately I have at least seen the related species in Mexico (in 2 different zoos this month, actually).

I do have a question about the nocturnal house. Would it make sense to go there first thing in the morning? In the US nocturnal houses lights are often still on early in the morning, and this helps with viewing and photography. However, since Faunia opens so late (11 am it seems like), I am not sure if the same would apply? Unfortunately, it looks like nocturnal house has also lost many of its former rarities (quolls, pottos, hutias). At this point I don't think they have anything that I hadn't seen before in the US...

14. zoo_enthusiast

Thanks! I definitely would like to catch the pinniped show and also birds of prey show. How long do they take?

15. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there 15 minutes after opening and the lights or off. Yes, there are no Potto or Quoll anymore, but you can see European mink, Common genet, Nancy Ma's night monkey and Hoffman's sloth. I hope you are lucky :)

zoo_enthusiast likes this.
  16. SivatheriumGuy

I visited the park back in 2014 but I'd say 30ish mins each, I'm not sure.
    The birdshow was incredibly disappointing, but I think they have revamped it.
    I had no idea the hutias were no longer at the park either, such a shame. :(
    But yeah as Twilighter said you have some exciting species ahead! I hope you enjoy your visit.

zoo_enthusiast likes this.
  17. zoo_enthusiast

I didn’t see hutia listed in report that I pulled from ZIMS… I’ll double check again later today, but I assume they are gone

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  18. zoo_enthusiast

Just confirmed, according to ZIMS Faunia no longer has hutias

SivatheriumGuy likes this.