Join our zoo community

Gatorama Gatorama visit - April 25th 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by SwampDonkey, 26 Apr 2021.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

I was able to stop here on the way back from a few nights in Lake Okeechobee. The facility is a classic "roadside" attraction. One enters through the gift shop and arrives directly at the large alligator and crocodile pond. This pond holds a number of large American Alligators and a few large American Crocodiles.

After the large pond one walks through the L shaped main walkway. The walkway had enclosures on either side. Some of the enclosures are quite nice, such as the Cuban Crocodile, Florida Panther, and the large ponds. Some of them could really use some updating as they are just smallish tile enclosures with a small space to get out of the water.

They had a alligator feeding show where they feed the large alligators chicken and have them "jump" for it while they tell the history of the facility and about the animals. They still farm the alligators "off property", but I am pretty sure they do that behind the public area. Supposedly none of the animals in the public area are part of the farm, but I have my doubts as they had a LOT of alligators around.

Overall I enjoyed the place, I would stop by again if I were in the area. I am not sure that I would go out of the way to stop here, however. Entrance for adults is $20 and kids are $10. We were here about an hour and 15 minutes, we watched most of the show, but not all of it.

Species:
    American Alligator
    American Crocodile
    Orinoco Crocodile
    Salt Water Crocodile
    Cuban Crocodile
    Nile Crocodile
    (Spectacled Caiman and Black Caiman were signed, but I did not see any of these in the enclosure that had them, supposedly)

Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Yellow Bellied Slider
    Sulcata

Florida Panther
    Kinkaju
    Domestic Rabbit
    Domestic goat

Red Macaw

More pictures in the gallery, but here are a few:
    Decent enclosures and large pond:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sad enclosures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TinoPup and snowleopard like this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the review and photos. This place does indeed appear to be a classic roadside zoological attraction, with most of the water either a dirty shade of black or, in some cases, no water at all!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

Yeah, I am pretty confident they pump it straight in from the pond out front for the most part. It is a natural pond, supposedly. If you are in the Okeechobee and Clewiston area, it is not a bad stop for a zoo fan.

4. SwampDonkey

I forgot, they also had a decent Bobcat enclosure, but I did not see any of them nor did I take a picture of it.