Join our zoo community

The Reptile Guy The Reptile Guy review

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 14 Apr 2015.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Reptile Guy is a facility located in Abbotsford, British Columbia, with approximately 60 on-show species within a 1,200 sq. ft. warehouse-style building. There is an off-show quarantine area that takes up part of that space and so the area accessible to the public is probably closer to 700 sq. ft. There are long-range plans that are in place which will see the establishment move to the nearby city of Mission, approximately 20 minutes away, and there will then be a doubling in size of the reptile zoo.

The Reptile Guy: Rescue & Education Center is a facility that takes in unwanted and abandoned cold-blooded pets. There are several signs dotted around the establishment that describe how a particular animal was struggling to survive, only to be resuscitated at the center. It is commendable that the facility exists to support the caring of discarded reptiles and amphibians and most of the money raised towards the maintenance of the animals is via birthday parties and presentations in schools and local shopping malls.

Upon entering the tiny one-room structure an individual is struck at just how unkempt everything is. On my visit the bathroom had paper towel overflowing from the garbage can; terrariums are haphazardly placed along the walls; small open-topped turtle pools that are obviously inadequate for their inhabitants are found near the entrance. There are buckets, boxes and mops piled in corners and a general air of shabbiness is to be found in all directions. However, a move to a much-larger facility and plans to erect new exhibits there are in place and the current site is clearly a temporary holding space that is in limbo as the cash-starved organization will likely move within another year or so to a 2,000 sq. ft. building.

The good news for the families that book birthday parties or drop by the center for a visit is that there are a lot of opportunities to be educated and also hold many of the animals. On my hour-long visit I was the only member of the public present and I essentially had a guided tour of the very tiny facility, with any number of Corn Snakes or Bearded Dragons at my disposal to handle if I so wished. As it was I spent a lengthy period of time with a 6-foot Boa Constrictor draped around my neck; I was given a handful of 5 Ball Pythons in my lap (of various colour morphs); and I also petted or held the following species: Rough-Neck Monitor Lizard, Columbian Tegu, Crested Gecko and Sulcata Tortoise. There were tarantulas, scorpions and many other critters that I could have handled but time was of the essence as I only had an hour on my hands.

The Reptile Guy Rescues Reptiles, Lizards and Surrendered Reptiles

Species list on April 9th, 2015. (60 species)

Mountain Horned Dragon
    Bearded Dragon
    Asian Water Dragon
    Argus Monitor
    Rough-Neck Monitor Lizard
    Savannah Monitor
    Green Basilisk
    Green Iguana
    Red Tegu
    Columbian Tegu
    Common Chuckwalla
    Panther Chameleon
    Crested Gecko
    Leopard Gecko
    Gargoyle Gecko
    Bibron’s Gecko
    White-Lined Gecko
    Tokay Gecko
    Lechianus Gecko
    Northern Blue-Tongue Skink
    Golden Skink
    Red-Eye Crocodile Skink

Fly River Turtle
    Northern Snake-Neck Turtle
    Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Common Snapping Turtle
    Reeves Turtle
    Red-Eared Slider
    Yellow-Bellied Slider
    Map Turtle
    Musk Turtle
    Eastern Spiny Soft-Shelled Turtle
    East African Side-Necked Turtle
    African Helmeted Turtle
    Three-Toed Box Turtle
    Russian Tortoise
    Sulcata Tortoise
    Red-Foot Tortoise

California Kingsnake
    Sinaloan Milksnake
    Corn Snake
    Kenyan Sand Boa
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Amazon Tree Boa
    Woma Python
    Ball Python
    Coastal Carpet Python
    Boa Constrictor

African Bull Frog
    Red-Legged Running Frog
    White-Lipped Tree Frog
    White’s Tree Frog
    Blue Poison Dart Frog
    Cane Toad

Desert Hairy Scorpion
    Banded Flat Rock Scorpion
    Emperor Scorpion
    Tiger Rump Tarantula
    Rose Hair Tarantula

Blue-and-Gold Macaw

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you know if this collection has any contacts with other zoos because in the Netherlands I know several of such Herp-rehabs do place healty-cared animals in zoos ( and even on some kind of breeding-loans to privat breeders ) ?

3. snowleopard

I only know of a connection to Greater Vancouver Zoo, which is perhaps 20 minutes from the Reptile Zoo. There are several animals, including a large American alligator, loaned to the zoo for the near future.

4. snowleopard

5. snowleopard

6. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

It looks like the facility has permanently shut down.

7. snowleopard

Are you sure? The owner (Mike Hopcraft) rebranded his facility as Wild Education and he still books private tours for birthday parties and other events. The original Abbotsford location switched to the nearby city of Mission years ago.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  8. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

I did not know that, though I was mainly just talking about this individual facility.