Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Reviving ZSL London/Whipsnade

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by StoppableSan, 27 Apr 2019.

1. monster

monster Well-Known Member

they are not allowed as it is listed

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Listed, schmisted. If it poses a public hazard, the Zoo should have every right to rectify the situation be it through renovation or lobbing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch at the behemoth instead of utilizing this "band-aid" solution of closing it down.

Goura likes this.
  3. monster

its not a public hazard if its closed. nobody has access once the fish are removed and it will be left to crumble of its own accord like so many beauyiful old buildings around the country. Just like the old elephant house at Whipsnade. yet another example of ZSLs short sighted grandiose projects coming at the expense of infrastructure maintenance.

Last edited: 9 May 2019
  4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

While I understand and share the frustration that some express towards the presence of listed buildings at the zoo, with all the attendant challenges they provide, the attitude that such buildings should simply be destroyed because they present a challenge strikes me as analogous to those developers who wish to get rid of, for example, bat colonies because such creatures prevent them from doing what they want to do. The zoos of Paris, Vienna, Berlin and Toledo – all of which have slightly different circumstances of course – provide examples of how it is possible to work with, rather than against, the heritage which one has inherited and for which one is responsible.

Yes, it would be expensive to do something with the Mappin Terraces. Meanwhile, the extension to Tate Modern, recently opened, cost £260 million. Money is out there!

5. monster

If these buildings were destroyed itwouldnt exactly be free to build something else in their place. Unless you go for some Jerry built bit of rubbidh like Wild Whipsnades enclosures for boar

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What puzzles me a little is that while the Mappin Terraces were I believe funded by the firm of Mappin and Webb (jewellers?), there doesn't seem to be any philanthropic millionaire around to sort it out a hundred years later....

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh there are-just look at Notre Dame!

Funny how it took years and years of bureaucratic wrangler amongst the French and suddenly, because of horrific negligence, there’s blank cheques being waved all over the place!

StoppableSan, FBBird and monster like this.
  8. monster

Makes you wonder about the quality of ZSLs fund raising department....

StoppableSan and FBBird like this.
  9. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They don't have a lot of space so they should use it more creatively and differentiate themselves from park zoos. I used to love their excellent small mammal collection and the aquarium. I wonder if they have considered a hummingbird walkthrough exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They had one for many years, the old Tropical House. In these times, it would not be easy to obtain the hummers

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Listing does not prohibit demolition.

It is a material consideration for any application to demolish (or indeed alter in any way) the building.

Has the ZSL explored the possibility with the Planning Authority?

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. SHAVINGTONZOO

The humming birds were ... spectacular !

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So were the manakins :rolleyes:

14. monster

I didnt know that. Is it easyto get permission or a rare event? Maybe zsl hasexplored this but been turned down?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well if they can prove that the infrastructure is slowly rotting with no chance for salvation, they should just get rid of it before someone gets hurt. Tho I do think for the Mappins, they should honor it by doing a diorama habitat where it originally stood.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Someone's got to say this why don't they just KNOCK IT DOWN (the zoo that is) and start again simples.

17. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Not the most helpful of suggestions on this thread...

Shorts, Indlovu, Brum and 2 others like this.
  18. SHAVINGTONZOO

It varies. Depends on the significance of the listed building, its condition, its prospects etc.

You'd never, for example, get permission to demolish Westminster Abbey (Grade I Listed, in reasonable condition, financially sound etc). On the other hand, if it was St Margaret's Church, Sometown (Grade II Listed, semi-derelict, in a depopulated area with no congregation and no source of income) ...

[Personal view: we have too many Listed Buildings, many of very ordinary merit.]

Shorts likes this.
  19. SHAVINGTONZOO

Er, because that would be - effectively - impossible for several reasons, not least the lengthy closure needed? Three to four years ?

Shorts likes this.
  20. Venatores

Venatores Member

I have to say that after a recent (relatively speaking 2017) visit to the zoo I was shocked at the change(s) that have taken place since volunteering there during my school holidays back in the day. Then the reptile house was full, every enclosure had a specimen and the range of specimens was phenomenal from geckos to the american alligators. Now it really is a shadow of its former self. The same goes with the aquarium when you use to walk through the different hall: cold water, marine, tropical, tropical marine and if memory serves even sea turtles. There also used to be a 'hidden' terrapin exhibit that was built into the wall of the reptile house.
    The moonlight world was similar and had a vast array of nocturnal species as well as up top in the Charles Clore. I appreciate that attitudes, practices and animal husbandry has changed, for the better on the whole and what was exhibited back then may not be suitable today but there seems to be a lack of 'interest' or even will to make ZSL a world leading zoo. After all, it was the opening of this zoological establishment that gave rise to the word zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.