Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo rhino death

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by jay, 3 Jul 2007.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

2. Rayles

Rayles Member

Hey,

Were they ever able to breed with Mandhla?

I used to watch the Zoo (when it was on PayTV in Australia) and I know they had three females...two imported and the mother in calf when she was imported.
    Also, do they still have the other male, Kruger?

When I visited the zoo in April, the rhinos were off display!

Thanks,
    Rayles

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Kruger is now at Hamilton zoo where hopefully he will become a breeding bull there. Auckland now has three male rhinos, a father and two sons, from Hamilton. As for Mandhla having had a calf I'm not quite sure. Two of Aucklands females were poisoned a couple of years ago and another was sent to Hamilton. I;m not sure if one of the females that died was Mandhlas calf or the one that was born at Auckland but conceived elsewhere.

4. Clothcat

Clothcat Active Member

From what I remember from various news articles, Mzithi and Mbili were mother and daughter and came as a package from Kenya along with Kruger (also no relation to either of the girls). They were not related to any of the Australasian rhinos hence it was a huge loss as they lost a new blood line when they died. Mzithi was also pregnant when she arrived and it's her baby Kito who has gone to Hamilton. She's about 5 or 6 I think and is quite a character judging from The Zoo series. Kruger has also been moved to Hamilton in the hope he will breed. Fortunately Kito is a valuable breeding female as she is new blood.

Clothcat

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

It is school holidays in NZ now , so I asked Abi if the rhino had bred .
    Unfortunately it hadnt sired any baby rhinos .
    I hope that the new group of rhinos will do better

6. jackyboy

jackyboy Member

the new group are a batchelor heard so i dont think there will be any babie rhinos at auckland

slo dose anyone have more info on th death of the 2 rhinos

7. Clothcat

Clothcat Active Member

SOS Rhino

If you mean Mzithi and Mbili's deaths there's an article about it if you follow the link above.

Mandhla was old and blind!

Clothcat

8. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Yes Kito, the daughter Mzithi was pregnant with when she came to Auckland, is now at Hamilton Zoo.

She is was eight in June and is now trying to be bred with Kruger the eighteen year old bull also from Auckland Zoo.

In 1999 Auckland Zoo received three rhinos from Kruger National Park: Kruger, Mzithi and daughter Mbili.

In 1999 Hamilton Zoo received three rhinos from Kruger National Park: Zambezi, Caballe and Mwisha.

Since coming to New Zealand Mzithi gave birth to daughter Kito and Zambezi and Caballe had three calves: Inkosi, Mtoto and Imani.

This site has some great info: Hamilton City Council & Hamilton, New Zealand - Hamilton City Council