Join our zoo community

Rhinos in South Korean zoos

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by Kifaru Bwana, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@dt644, do you have any information on the Overland Zootopia white rhino herd. I really would appreciate this as I believe it is the only facility in South Korea breeding the species and continuously for so many years with regular births. If so, please put it in the Everland Zoo thread.

2. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Everland's white rhinos have yet to reproduce. Like cheetahs, these rhinos were newly introduced in Everland when the Lost Valley was opened.

There are seven rhinos in Korea now, four white rhinos in Everland and three white rhinos in Seoul Zoo. And one of female white rhino named 'Cho-mi' at the Seoul Zoo was born at the Seoul Zoo in 1996. Cho-mi is the only rhino born in Korea.

The names of the Everland rhinos are Zelani(♂), Babu(♂), Isha(♀) and Shafi(♀). Isha and Shafi are known to be from South Africa Republic, while Zelani and Babu are known to be from Singapore.

JurassicMax likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks, how old are the females Everland imported from South Africa?
    Singapore males are aged Jelani (14 - b. 2007), Baboo (13 - b. 2008).

4. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but as far as I know Everland has never revealed the age of its rhinos. In the past, Everland rhinos appeared on TV shows a few times, and as far as I remember that their ages were not revealed even then.

5. Kifaru Bwana

EVERLAND / YONG-IN
    @dt644, thank you for your comments on the Everland Lost Valley / Everland Zoo rhinos.
    Singapore sent their 2 captive-born males there in 2012. The munhwa.com feature signals the number of rhinos increased from 2 to 4 after opening of Lost Valley.

Note: I checked the CITES databases, but it has only reported 1 rhino permit in 2009 direct from South Africa. The other 3 have all been Singapore to South Korea exports (exactly, from Singapore Zoo).

SEOUL
    You also briefly mentioned Seoul Zoo / Grand Park having only 3 white rhino. That should be the bull Mandela (exported in 2011 from Singapore Zoo) and cow Cho Mi (born 1996) and one other unknown white rhino. The Seoul Zoo bull Codari (b. 1982) died in August 2012 leaving 3 cows (Cosuni (b.1982), Sumi (b. 1983) and Cho Mi) and young Singapore Zoo male.

I noted a recent veterinary report citing a 36-year old female white rhino was diagnosed with ovarian adenocarcinoma and died 40 days from diagnosis and start treatment. Unfortunately, it is just the excerpt report and not the full one (the paper is dated January 2021).
    SOURCE: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

This makes me think that the last early 1980's white rhino has died too leaving just the younger pair. TBH, I do not think that female Cho Mi (24) will ever give birth now and that reproductive issues exist with her.

6. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

You've well checked. To write a brief description of the rhinos at the Seoul Zoo, the Seoul Zoo brought in a female black rhino, a pair of Indian rhinos, a male and two females of white rhino at the beginning, but other rhinoceros did not live long.

That three white rhinos were Ko-dol(Codori), Ko-soon(Cosuni) and Su-mi, respectively. Cho-mi is the daughter of Ko-dol and Su-mi, and Ko-soon was died of ovarian cancer last year.

The Seoul Zoo has been focusing on breeding Mandela and Cho-mi since two years ago. But according to media reports, the Seoul Zoo has confirmed that Mandela and Cho-mi have not shown affection.

That news report said Mandela and Cho-mi attempted to mating in August 2019, but have not shown any special behavior since then, and Mandela and Sumi have been in a considerably rough relationship.

So the Seoul Zoo learned the following facts about white rhinos from EAZA's data.

• White rhino is difficult to breeding when male is alone and there's multiple females.
    • If white rhino mixed with other rhinos in early childhood, it becomes difficult to regard other rhinos as sexual objects as siblings.
    • Older female white rhinos do not allow male relationships because they want to protect females younger than themselves.
    Mandela came to the Seoul Zoo in 2011 when he was seven years old and has lived with much older females so far, meeting all of the above conditions. Therefore, the Seoul Zoo tries to separate Su-mi, the mother of Cho-mi, so that Mandela and Cho-mi can reproduce, but I think the relatively large age of Cho-mi is a significant obstacle.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

@dt644, you are right in assuming that female Cho-Mi may now be to old for breeding at 24+ (within EEP/EAZA they put the critical window beyond 15-20, in which time frame they should have bred as primiparous). Did Seoul Grand Park Zoo ever evaluate their rhinos reproductively?

Further, the male at 7 on import was definitely too young to become an dominant male over the then 0.3, all considerably more aged than Mandela on exhibit.

I hold out hope for (an) import(s) from EEP/EAZA.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2021
  8. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the late reply.

The history of rhinos in Korea was relatively short, less well-known, and the number of rhinos was also very small.

In the 1960s, one black rhino(maybe female) was introduced to Korea by a mobile zoo in Busan. She was the first captive rhino of Korea, but there are few records of that black rhino. After of that black rhino's introduced and missing, there were no rhino in Korea for a while, but rhinos were introduced again to Korea by the establishment of Seoul Zoo in the early 1980s.

Of course, I can say that there are quite a few things I know about rhinos in Korea. Rhinos are also my favorite animals. If you want, I will write about all the histories of rhinos in Korea.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Well, it's been a long time since I wrote here. I couldn't come here because I was looking for old torture about animals on the Internet and writing elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm going to write what I've decided to write before. First of all, this is about 'Rhinos that were at the Korean Zoo' that Kifaru Bwana requested.

There were three rhino species in South Korean zoo, black, white and india. And a total of four zoos in South Korea that could be said to have had rhinos. unnamed Busan's mobile zoo, Changgyeongwon, Seoul Zoo, and Everland. And I will first write about the first rhino of korea, the rhino of Busan's mobile zoo and Changgyeongwon.

Among the old books about zoo I have, a book 'Changgyeongwon-yahwa,' written by Dr. Kim Jung-man(김정만), who worked as a veterinarian at Changgyeongwon and later became the second director of the Seoul Zoo, is briefly mentions the story of the first rhinoceros to be introduced to Korea.

According to Changgyeongwon-yahwa, a person named Moon Joo-chul(문주철), who was in a mobile zoo business in Busan on September 16, 1962, imported giraffes, rhinos, and other animals from japan that were not even in Changgyeongwon.

However, giraffes died in a cargo ship while being imported so they had to display only the rest of the animals. They were had high expectations for rhino, because that rhino was the most expensive and largest animal, but Busan citizens were no attention to rhino, and said, "Why receiving money for showing such a just big western pig?"

Rather, people showed greater interest in kangaroos worth only one-twenty of the price of rhinos, so Changgyeongwon-yahwa said their rhino exhibition was ended up serving a few people who recognizing and admiring rhinos.

This is the only mention of the rhinoceros in Busan in the Changgyeongwon-yahwa, but 4 years later, this rhino was reappears in the newspaper.

캡처_2021_05_25_23_43_32_198.png

Rhino's photo in Kyunghyang Shinmun's newspaper article on November 3, 1966.
    The following is what it says:

창경원에 새손님=New guest at Changgyeongwon
    코뿔소, 겨울동안投宿=Rhino, stay in the winter.

부산동물원서보내온 코뿔소=Rhino Sent from Busan Zoo

This Kyunghyang Shinmun's newspaper article published on November 3, 1966, and said, "A female rhino from Philippine sent from the zoo in Busan to Changgyeongwon because to stay for the winter arrived at Changgyeongwon on the November 2."

This article said the rhino was from the Philippines. So which is different from the record of Changgyeongwon-yahwa. But I think that this rhino was more likely to have been imported from Japan as mentioned in Changgyeongwon-yahwa. Because 'Keihin Choju Trading' of Japan was the company that supplied the most animals to Changgyeongwon in the 1960~1970. And also, confirmed Another article said that some of the animals imported by Moon Ju-cheol were imported from the Keihin Choju Trading.

캡처_2021_05_25_23_43_09_379.png

Rhino's photo in Chosun Ilbo's newspaper article on November 4, 1966.
    The following is what it says:

昌慶苑動物家族=Changgyeongwon Animal Family
    健康진단=Health check

◇귀찮은 표정만 짓는 코뿔소.=◇Rhino only makes tiresome facial expression.​

There is another article about the rhinoceros arriving at Changgyeongwon. the November 4, 1966 Chosun Ilbo's newspaper explains that that rhino was imported from Japan in August 1966. Therefore, I think there is a possibility the rhino imported in 1962 and the rhino entrusted to Changgyeongwon may be different.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the information itself is not intact like the country where the rhinos were sent was written differently from article to article. So I assume that the rhino imported in 1962 was entrusted to Changgyeongwon.

Since then, the rhinoceros has not been mentioned at all, ending with an article that says it will be under intensive care at Changgyeongwon because of its poor condition. After Chosun Ilbo's newspaper article published in November 9, 1966 reported with rhino's a photo and that "rhino, ostriches, and gorals are in poor condition, Changgyeongwon plans to focus on treating about their health," this rhinoceros was no longer mentioned anywhere.

Director Oh Chang-young(오창영), who worked as a veterinarian at Changgyeongwon like Dr. Kim Jung-man and took office as the first Director of the Seoul Zoo, has written several books about animals and Korean zoos. However, there is no mention in his book that there was a rhino in Changgyeongwon.

One of his book, '80-year history of Korean Zoo', which covers the history of the Korean zoo, also not mentioned that rhino. In additionm another book of him, 'Oh Chang-young Essay 1: The Four Seasons of Animals', contains a diary of his time at Changgyeongwon, in his diary of May 24, 1970, he said "I would like to raise a rhinoceros" as like he had never managed rhino.

It seems clear that there was a rhinoceros in Changgyeongwon because the photos exist, and since both Oh and Kim have worked in Changgyeongwon since the 1950s, there is no way they don't know about that rhino.

Given these circumstances, I think that rhino would have died in Changgyeongwon. It is understand that if the rhino died of something bad, Oh and Kim would not said about this rhino after that.

Therefore, the following is a combination of all the records that could be found out about the first rhinoceros in Korea. And this Rhino's photos that I found are only two that uploaded above.

• Female black rhino. Imported from Japan or the Philippines.
    • Imported to Korea on September 16, 1962.
    • (Imported another rhino again in August 1966? If really imported once more in this time, the information "female black rhino" does not apply to the rhino imported in 1962.)
    • Entrusted to Changgyeongwon for preparation to stay for the winter on November 2, 1966.
    • Died in Changgyeongwon?
    It was only two people, Oh Chang-young and Kim Jung-man, who recorded the history of Korean zoos in the 20th century, and even that, Oh left almost all the records. I think it's hard to know any more about this rhinoceros because both are not alive now.

The writing is getting longer, so I'll hang up here. The following will be about rhinoceros at the Seoul Zoo.

Last edited: 25 May 2021
    vogelcommando, Ursus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks for the interesting history of South Korea,s black rhino!

11. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I make a mistake. The second photo was published in Chosun Ilbo's newspaper article on November 9, 1966. not November 4.

12. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

All right, I'm back. Continue to write about rhinos at the Seoul Zoo.

In 1983, Changgyeongwon, where the last location of first rhino of South Korea, was moved to Seoul Grand Park Zoo, for the restore Changgyeongwon to its original appearance, the palace 'Changgyeonggung'.

At that time, one of the construction motto of Seoul Grand Park was "to Larger than Pyongyang Zoo in North Korea," so many species of animals that had not been in South Korea and have not now were imported to be displayed at Seoul Grand Park.

Five, or six rhinos were imported South Korea at the time, a pair or one female black rhino and a male Indian rhino, and one male and two females of white rhino.

About '80-year history of Korean Zoo', the importer of black and Indian rhinos was 'Int'l Animal Exchange Inc.' and originally contracted to import one male and two female of black rhino, and a pair of Indian rhinoceros, but one female black rhino and female Indian rhino didn't imported because the I.A.E. corp couldn't secure them.

The CITES Trade database shows that black rhinos have been imported South Korea twice. Therefore, it seems right that I.A.E. Inc has imported a pair of black rhinos, but the animals list at the Seoul Zoo not exist male black rhino but only female black rhino. So I think the male black rhino died in transit or shortly after arrival.

캡처_2020_07_09_19_10_23_285.png

A photo of a black rhino at the Seoul Zoo attached to an article reported in the Chosun Ilbo on May 4, 1984. This is the only picture of the Seoul Zoo's black rhino I have found.​

However, not long after the before and after the opening of Seoul Grand Park in 1984, many animals were died. Rhinos were also damaged, The female black rhino died before opening. And Seoul Grand Park requested compensation for the dead black rhino from the trading company I.A.E. Inc. So the picture of that black rhino is very rare.

캡처_2021_06_12_01_38_59_572.png

Photo of the Seoul Zoo Indian Rhino attached to an article in the Dong-A Ilbo on May 17, 1984. This article says, "This rhinoceros has lost his mate," So it could thought to an Indian rhinoceros female was also dead, but As I mentioned, I.A.E. Inc. was imported fewer rhinos than contracted with Seoul Grand Park.

And also, I look more articles at that time, could find articles that mention death of black rhino. Therefore, I think the dead rhino in this article is black rhino, not Indian rhino.

And the male Indian rhino, first Indian rhino of South Korea was remained alive after of opening, but since 1990, six years after the opening of Seoul Grand Park, he disappeared in the Seoul Zoo's animal list. So the photos of Indian rhino at Seoul Zoo are also rare.

SeoulZooRhino.jpg

Seoul Zoo's Indian rhino photo taken by Willard C. Losinger in 1987.
    it is the clearest photo of the Indian rhino at the Seoul Zoo I found.

The source of the photo is here, and all copyrights are to Willard C. Losinger.​

In the end, only three white rhinos were left at the Seoul Zoo. Their names are known today are male 'Kodol'(코돌), and female 'Kosun'(코순) and 'Sumi'(수미). And on February 10, 1996, Sumi gave birth to a daughter, 'Chomi'(초미). Chomi is the only rhinoceros born as the first and last in Korea.

Video of the entertainment program 'ZooZoo Dongsan' aired on KBS on April 6, 2006. This video shows all four white rhinos were lived at the Seoul Zoo, and the names of them are mentioned differently from what is now known, Kodol appears under a different name, 'Taesan'(태산), and Sumi also appears under a different name, 'Bomi'(보미).

According to a zookeeper at the Seoul Zoo, Seoul Zoo tried to keep Kodol and other rhinos together in about 2008, but Kodol was bullied by others, so Kodol get angry and hitting objects by horns, and his horn was broken. So his first horn shattered three pieces until he died.

SSI_20131219012232.jpg

photo of Kodol when he's alive.
    And the his horns that Seoul Zoo kept separately after he dead.

The source of the image is this article of the Seoul Shimbun.

On 5 August 2012, Kodol escaped from the indoor enclosure and entered the zookeeper's space, where he was injured when he bumped into a small space. Zookeepers fired water cannons to send kodol back to the enclosure and let the fan wind to lower the his heat, but eventually Cordol died of a heart attack.

The dead Kodol's body was buried in an outside cage, and his horns were kept separately. Although this accident was unknown public at the time. But year later, on November 24, 2013, another accident was occur in Seoul Zoo. A zookeeper was dead by male Amur tiger 'Rostov', and this accident also made Kodol's accident known to the public.

However, due to the Rostov's accident, Seoul Grand Park lost much confidence, and suspicions arose that the horns of the Kodol, which was stored separately, were stolen and sold at a high price. Therefore, the Korean National Forensic Service investigated the authenticity of the horns of the Kodol, and it was confirmed that the horns of the Kodol were genuine, but it was an example of how much Seoul Grand Park lost their credibility.

And as mentioned in the posts above, the kosun died of ovarian cancer last year, So now there are three rhinos, Mandela, Sumi, and Chomi left at the Seoul Zoo. Seoul Zoo trying to breed Mandela and Chomi, but I think it is too hard.

For a long time since its opening in 1984, the Seoul Zoo has been the only zoo in Korea to have rhinos, but in 2013, Everland imported and displayed white rhinos in their new safari attraction "Lost Valley," so now two Korean zoos have rhinos.

But I'll skip Everland's white rhinos because there's little known about them and I think I've already explained it enough. If have any questions, ask me. But I will not be able to answer in June 14 to July 1 in Korean time, because I have to go to get military training.

vogelcommando and Ursus like this.
  13. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I made a mistake again. The name of the KBS program is 'Zoozoo Club'. 'Zoozoo Dongsan' is a poor private zoo in North Gyeongsang Province, South Korea.