Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Rigo the gorilla.....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 11 Dec 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think these new guidelines are really nothing more then "guidelines" with exeptions possible when good reasons exist, and the "big guys" in gorilla breeding in Europe like Apenheul and Jersey (owning so many gorillas brings a lot of influence!) will almost certainly do whatever they want. I agree that the new guidelines will mainly apply to new-founded groups.

However leaving Jumanto with Rigo for now seems a good idea.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I agree on that- except I don't think Jersey are in the 'big guy' league anymore regarding Gorilla breeding- that all changed after Jambo died...:(
    I think their current situation with the unmated females (Kishka, Sakina and Bambuti) all soliciting Yk and getting absolutely no response over a long time, is very bad. I can understand their reluctance to part with YK, and also the problem of what to do with him, but I think they should do something about it.

I've seen recent EEP recommendations for transfers- you can see that some of them just won't happen as the zoos won't let them, they are just suggestions really. Sometimes they suggest transfer of females to groups where the male is already failing to breed even with 'prime' females e.g. at Blackpool & Jersey. This seems pointless as it doesn't get to the root of the problem, which is that the male needs to changed..

I hope Jumatano stays put where she is for now.

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

well rigo has so far never been a natural breeder himself, so i'm not supprised his AI convieved son ya kwanza has only done marginally better. YK still has one living offspring though yes?

i really hope rigo does breed though!

4. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

One thing Jersey can do with YK is put him on a diet....what a boofer.

Poor Rigo. He's never had a chance really and I think Yuska is still trying to intimidate him.

I think we forget how complex these guys are. I strongly believe that, like us, they are strongly attracted or repelled by members of the opposite sex. I've worked in places where I've been the only one of my sex with a dozen of the opposite sex.....you wouldn't get me together with them for nix.

And there's no gorilla equivalent to Bourbon or beer for those "I did what last night?" moments.

5. patrick

very true.

though i gotta admit. if aliens put be in a zoo with a really unattractive female...

...eventually...

....after a really long time......

....since theres nothing else...

...would.

(i'm talking like at least 2 weeks here!!)

6. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

Yes, but you're a male!

7. Pertinax

The ability or lack of to mate normally etc depends on the animal's background, rather than it being inherited. Rigo has had so little chance with females I'm still not sure if he's a natural breeder or not. Just because he didn't like, or bullied Yuska in their 'pair' situation in the long distant past, doesn't mean he wouldn't have mated normally with other 'new' females(possibly even with Yuska too) in a calm group situation- however we'll never know as he was removed for all those years and its only now he is being put to this test.

The son Ya Kwanza is very odd- his handrearing from birth seems to have affect his social abilities badly. He probably didn't meet the other Melbourne gorillas until it was already too late. He breeds with just one female at Jersey, a very unusual situation!

Mapema- Ya Kwanza's son (and Rigo's grandson) just moved from a batchelor group to Duisburg Zoo last month. But HE was mother-reared and should (I do say should) be totally normal as far as breeding is concerned. That's why I said he's the bet to continue the Rigo line.

8. Pertinax

9. patrick

grant i very much agree that rigo never got a proper go. the situation at jersy seems stupid. they really need to look at bring in another male. waiting 14 years seems just stupid and if the eneded up gorilla-less they would only have their own reluctance to blame....

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe Port Lympne would let them have one of the spare males?

11. Pertinax

I think the Jersey situation is atrocious personally- but I can see they have a big problem about what to do with Ya Kwanza if they want to replace him. As we've said before, its virtually impossible to add a mature silverback to a batchelor group- unless like Motaba he has already lived with his new 'friends'. So (like his dad Rigo) YK might end up alone...

One thing they could do is split the group, keeping YK and the female he breeds with as a pair- bringing in a new male for the others.. At present though, there don't seem to be any plans in any direction...:(

Mark- there wouldn't be a problem finding a new male- from Howletts or elsewhere- the problem is where to place YK(Mzuri). I suppose he could go to the Port Lympne batchelor groups but I'll bet it would be impossible to integrate him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.