Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio Rio de Janeiro Zoo (Bioparque do Rio)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 3 Dec 2020.

1. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

i think it is behind the flamingo exhibit, and both things you said.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  2. BetoYoung

hey guys i have some good news, recently it was born a calf of water buffalo and yesterday was the birthday of the hippo bocão, it already streamed on tv.

3. BetoYoung

hey guys i have some good news, andré told me that the zoo is planning to open the first expansion area in March 18th and looks like this area will hold the new enclosure to the maned wolves, red faced spider monkeys, the cassowary and some snakes.

4. BetoYoung

hey guys, today was inaugurated the new expansion area of the zoo, the maned wolves got a new enclosure as well as the cassowary, pelicans and the tortoises, the flamingos moved on to the former pelican exhibit, but i don't where is the new red faced spider monkey exhibit.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What tortoise species are they having on exhibit?

BetoYoung likes this.
  6. BetoYoung

it's the red footed tortoise

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

That is very interesting. Do you happen to have pictures of it to share with us? I would like to see the new exhibits and structures.

BetoYoung and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. BetoYoung

you can see the pictures in biopark blog on facebook and then you can share your opinion about the new exihibits and structures.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2022
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. David Matos Mendes

Well, I can't find them at all. I don't mean the regular structure of the zoo, as I've been there personally, but only the new areas. Are you sure there are pictures of them available on facebook?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. BetoYoung

yes, search riozoo blog on google and you will see the facebook page called biopark blog and when you click the page, you will be able to see the pictures.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2022
    David Matos Mendes likes this.
  11. David Matos Mendes

Oh yes, you mean the unoffical blog of the zoo, made by the zoo fan André Sebastião, right? I checked it out, and I can't say I enjoyed the new are very much. I mean, the pelican and the maned wolf exhibits are not bad, althoug the wolves do need more foliage and hiding spaces, but the cassowary and python enclosures are incredibly small for the species they hold. I really hope these are temporary holding areas...

12. BetoYoung

unfortunately i can't say the exhibits are temporary, i do agree they are a little bit small of course, but i bet the holding areas are permanently.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. David Matos Mendes

Hmm I highly doubt. Nothing seems permanent in Bioparque do Rio. We thought the orangutan exhibit was definitive, it wasn't at all. We thought the "kings of the jungle" enclosures would be definitive, they weren't at all (we went from an exhibit with spectacled bear, who were moved for a quite bad one, now we have otters in their place. Otters that came from another enclosure at the zoo... The tiger exhibit was already occupied by brown bear and jaguar, and the lion exhibit has already held jaguar at some point). Lear's macaw? Not even six months on exhibition. King vultures took their place. Pelicans that substituted the otters? Changed to another enclosure. Flamingos who were beautifully kept in the big lake of the Burle Marx gardens? Sent to the former pelican enclosure. And these changes are just a few, not to mention the numerous moves on the small carnivore area.
    Bioparque do Rio is without a doubt a very big improvement compared to the former Rio zoo, when talking about structure, at least, even if not perfect in many aspects, but they do have a lot to evolve. Zoos don't usually do constant changes like this. It seems to me that their exhibits are still lacking foliage and more specific structures for the species they hold so they can remain neutral to receive whatever species they decide to put on display. From bears to otters, from tigers, to brown bears, passing through jaguars... I understand they still have a lot of animals being held in the backstage, waiting for new on show homes, but I definitely don't think these frequent rotations are the solution. It definitely doesn't help on the animals' adaptation. Actually, pretty much the opposite.
    Having said that, I honestly don't think any of these animals on the newly renovated area will be permanently kept there. Maybe the maned wolves and the pelicans, but I'm not sure. Let's keep following their steps, and hoping they get some improvements.

BetoYoung and StoppableSan like this.
  14. BetoYoung

yes, you are right.

15. BetoYoung

it's been a long time since i stopped posting news about the zoo, and today i came here to say the my friend andré told me that a biologist of the zoo told him that they are with a project that plans to bring the chimpanzees back to the zoo.

FelipeDBKO and Matheus Carbonero like this.
  16. BetoYoung

hey guys, it's been a while since we stopped posting news about the biopark. So, i came here to say that the capuchins are exposed again in the former orangutan/crab-eating macaque enclosure and the new enclosure got a new landscape painting, the photos are available in the unofficial bio park blog on facebook. The capuchin species are yellow breasted capuchin and brown capuchin.