Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio Rio de Janeiro Zoo (Bioparque do Rio)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 3 Dec 2020.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

I also never saw any pictures of the gazelles in there, but their facebook background picture has a gazelle in between the other animals. That's why I imagined they keep/kept these animals...
    I didn't know Rio and São Paulo held any gazelle... Where (wich exhibit) were they located in each institution?

2. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the dorcas gazelles in Rio de Janeiro, but the thomson's in São Paulo lived in the African plains enclosure. Also, that exhibit, before it was designated to house African mammals and ostriches, held some antelope, like the gazelles themselves, lowland nyalas, nilgais, blackbucks and impalas.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Brasília and Goiânia also kept blue wildebeest and the Rio de Janeiro zoo kept black ones.

4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I have discovered where the Javan rusa deer will live. The location of their exhibit will be in the Asian sector of the zoo, along with animals such as Koala, the Asian elephant, as well as some peafowl (I believe phesants and crowned pigeons will also live in this section).

5. David Matos Mendes

I imagined this when I saw in their instagram that there will be a sector called "asiáticos". I even thought the tigers would be there too, but they're probably gonna be in the "reis da selva" area...
    Also, knowing the former baboon island (that one with the round mock rocks) became an aviary, there's a chance that the asian birds are gonna be held there, once it's quite near to the elephant exhibit...

6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The lions, tigers and jaguars will live in the Reis da Selva area. I agree with your statement about the pheasants.

7. David Matos Mendes

This area has all to bring class "A" big cat exhibits. Very anxious to see it. By the way, do you know if the bear area is coming in this first phase of the renovation too? Cause now I've been in doubt about what's left to be done in there, and thinking that everything might be almost done already, with no need for another phase....

8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I think so. They'll probably move their bears to new exhibits, so there's no need to keep these two enclosures.

9. David Matos Mendes

Yeah. I was in doubt because I haven't seen any news about bear enclosures in their social media. Actually, we haven't been having news about any enclosures of the carnivore area... Anyway, I think they must be almost done, and the crew is just waiting for not showing the entire zoo before the opening...
    And, after all, for what we can see in that drone overview video, both of the bear enclosures have been demolished...

Last edited: 8 Feb 2021
  10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

A farm nicknamed "Gilrassic Park", located in Santa Inês, in Maranhão also has/had blue wildebeest. The owner had some problems with his employees in the past, once they claimed to have poor work conditions, even saying he treated his animals better than the staff. There are some videos on Youtube about the farm (which I believe is open to the general public), like this one:

11. David Matos Mendes

Had never heard about this place... It seems they keep a considerably big collection! Do you know if they have any conservation purposes?

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't know, but it's likely that they do.

13. David Matos Mendes

Just a doubt that occurred me here: Will the pumas be in this area too? I had forgotten about them.

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't think so, once they're not considered big cats.

15. David Matos Mendes

Gonna share here some sneak peaks of the zoo's new areas.The following pictures show some parts of the main sectors of the completely refurbished institution, and were posted in their official website, to anounce their membership program: Sócio do BioParque do Rio: Conheça o programa - Blog do BioParque do Rio

Obs: Not all the zoos exhibits are featured in this post, only the ones shown in the institution's last publications

The mentioned spaces are:

"African savanna"- Where the river safari and the hippo pool (with underwater viewing) will be located. Typical savanna animals will be part of this sector (giraffes, zebras and unknown species of antelope).

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_savana_africana.jpg

"Kings of the jungle" - dedicated for the zoo's big cats (jaguars, bengal tigers and african lions).

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_reis_da_selva.jpg

"Reptile village" - Will hold all the reptiles of the zoo.

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_vila_dos_repteis.jpg

"Burle Marx gardens" - Gardens based on the projects of brazilian landscaper Roberto Burle Marx.

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_jardim_de_burle_marx.jpg

"Tropical immersion" - Big immersive vivariums for 40 species of native birds.

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_imersao_tropical.jpg

"Little farm"- Petting zoo with various farm animals.

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_fazendinha.jpg

"Primate islands" - Pathway through some water areas with islands for the zoo's small primates.

thumb_ecommerce_bioparque_ilha_dos_primatas.jpg

Kifaru Bwana and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks David for sharing.

Any idea of the proposed stock list for each area per chance?

17. David Matos Mendes

Oh, sorry, I couldn't understand what you mean.

18. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

He is asking about the animals planned for each area.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. David Matos Mendes

Well, if it's the animal collection for each sector what you mean, here it is:

The most recent updates from the zoo says:
    African savanna: A mixed exhibit for zebras, giraffes and (possibly) impalas, and a separated exhibit for common hippos.

Kings of the jungle: Three exhibits, to house the three big cat species the zoo keeps (Jaguars, lions and bengal tigers).

Reptile village: The big majority of the zoo's reptiles will be held in this area, and although I don't know their exact collection, I'm sure there will be anacondas, broad-snouted caimans and giant amazon river turtles.

Burle Marx gardens: The only animal species held in these gardens will be the flamingos (the chilean ones, if I'm not wrong).

Tropical immersion: Besides the 40 species of brazilian birds, this area will also have exhibits for agoutis, prehensile tailed porcupines and lion tamarins (the golden one is the only confirmed, but I bet the zoo will also keep the black ones and the golden-headed ones, like most of the country's major zoos).

Little farm: Various farm animals (miniature cows, chickens and horses confirmed).

Primate islands: Brazilian primates of various species will be held in the island areas (golden-breasted capuchins and spider monkeys confirmed) and chimpanzees and orangutans (not confirmed) on the larger exhibits.

Cerrado: Fauna from the brazilian biome of cerrado, like maned wolves, giant anteaters, rheas and tapirs (possibly more species, but these are the confirmed ones).

Carnivores: Bears, possibly hoary and crab-eating foxes, between other still not confirmed species.

Asiatics: Asian elephant, javan rusa deers, peacocks and possibly various pheasants species.

Polanizers: Educational area about the importance of polanization, featuring species of insects and small amphibians and reptiles.

arafan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Great job! I'd like to help by adding the lemurs, meerkats and African birds that will be kept at the Aventura Selvagem area. Everytime I visit the park, I see people doing some more improvements to the area. One of the things that surprised me the most were the huts located in the islands inside that big exhibit.