Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio Rio de Janeiro Zoo (Bioparque do Rio)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 3 Dec 2020.

1. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

the channel is aviation tv

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Yeah, the live is going on, but I couldn't spot the specific plane at all.

3. BetoYoung

me too.

4. David Matos Mendes

The video of the arrival of the giraffes might debut at Aviation Tv at 19:30. If everything goes right, they should be in the Bioparque until tomorrow.

5. BetoYoung

yeah, that might be true.

6. BetoYoung

but firstly they will have to pass by a quarantine time, so they can be exposed to us.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  7. David Matos Mendes

Animals the size of giraffes usually don't go to backstage areas in brazilian zoos. Most of the institutions haven't got big enough structures to receive such animals in the extra sectors. IMO, the quarantine is much probably gonna take place in the giraffe handling area and in that small front paddock in front of it, with views to the hippo exhibit, wich means visitors will be able to see them. That's my bet.

8. BetoYoung

if you say so, i will bet this as well.

9. BetoYoung

guys, unfortunately it happened another change at the zoo, the maned wolves will be moved to the former tiger enclosure, recently andré told me this, and i don't know when william(the tiger) will return to his enclosure.

10. David Matos Mendes

Well, it will be a great enclosure for the maned wolves, but too bad the tiger is not returning soon to the visitor area...

11. BetoYoung

i think so.

12. BetoYoung

guys, unfortunately i have some bad news, i just watched the tv, and i saw the 18 giraffes came to brazil from south africa, and the bioparque bought all of them, but the bad news are that 3 of them died during a escape moment, and now there are 15 giraffes, but still some of them will go to bioparque and the others will remain in the portobello resort & safari park so they can be given to other brazilian zoos that already have giraffes like brasilia zoo, beto carrero zoo, curitiba zoo, itatiba zoo, pomerode zoo and sao paulo zoo.

Kifaru Bwana and FelipeDBKO like this.
  13. BetoYoung

the giraffes are between 2 and 3 years old

14. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

It's sad that those animals have been living in what seems to be an inappropriate place for over 2 months and that they've let them escape. :(

Do you know which species/subspecies they belong to? Judging from the video here I'd guess they're all South African giraffes, as it's the same species all the zoos you mentioned hold (also, Zooparque Itatiba has a pair and a calf of Rothschild's in addition to their South African giraffe).

15. David Matos Mendes

That is really very sad to know... I hope they find good destinations for the remaining individuals, so that they can be part of conservation programs.
    @FelipeDBKO , they are South-african giraffes indeed. And they come from breeding farms of South Africa, afaik. By the way, the remaining giraffe of this species/subspecies in Zooparque Itatiba is much probably going to be brought back to Belo Horizonte, hopefully still this year.

About the place they are being held, it does not seem very adequate indeed, but I tend to think that is only the holding area. The report mentions a solarium, wich I imagine is their "outdoor" exhibit.

@BetoYoung , about the Bioparque sending their giraffes to other zoos, I bet this will be very benefitial for them, as there are surely quite a lot of zoos in the country that are very interested in giraffes, and there are not many available besides these ones that belong to the BioParque. I honestly hope they don't sell them though, but change for other interesting animals they are able to breed inside a good conservation program. I hope the zoos that receive the giraffes are able to insert them in good programs as well.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  16. BetoYoung

i think they were south african giraffes.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  17. BetoYoung

that's a great idea

18. BetoYoung

good afternoon guys, i came here to say that the justice determined that in 48 hours and in 30 days, the giraffes should be removed from the place that they are currently in it, and being moved to a big enclosure to hold all 15 giraffes, then i believe that 3 or 4 of them will be transferred to bioparque do rio and the others will remain in the portobello resort and the rest will go to other zoos in brazil.

19. BetoYoung

i also saw a denouncement on instagram in the ampara silvestre's account that some people discovered in the files about the 18 giraffes who came to brazil, that there were other animals not only the giraffes, they discovered that there were 15 zebras and 24 impalas in the files that should be able to go to brazil, i think 5 zebras and 6 impalas will go to the bioparque as well.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Seriously, in itself not a big deal ... it is just a big import. I guess some Brasileira zoos with African wildlife will be happy.

I do hope Bioparque will be for the main about S.American fauna.

BetoYoung and David Matos Mendes like this.