Join our zoo community

ABQ BioPark Zoo ABQ BioPark Zoo (aka Rio Grande Zoo / Albuquerque Zoo)

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 20 Jun 2009.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Someone purposely killing an innocent zoo animal... any animal really, is a sick individual. Hope they find them and throw the book at them. Kid, adult I dont care. They killed an endangered species so hopefully the penalties will be even stiffer.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will affect Australia's decision to send any more Tasmanian devils to America/overseas? These are meant to be ambassador animals in order to educate the public about their plight in the wild and instead they are just as in danger being in captivity. It might be a once-off event, but it is still risky and worrying sending an endangered animal overseas that could then be killed in a zoo.....

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

San Diego has such a stalwart international reputation that I do not think it would affect them. However, I could see Australian authorities being concerned about Albuquerque...

4. Jabiru96

As expected it has reached the media here and there has been a huge public backlash over the event. People across social media are calling for the remaining individuals to be returned to Australia.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly, most people have one-track minds. Misdemeanors and misbehavior of the type experienced at Albuquerque could and will happen elsewhere (anywhere and includes Australia too), often to the same degree of extreme ignorance or malicious damage …

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Even if the offender/s are caught however much they are punished they cannot make up for the life of the tasmanian devil. An endangered species is priceless, some people are just so stupid... :mad:

7. TZFan

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure its quite "desperate", in fact the programme is already very successful, with over 650 Tasmanian Devils in ZAA zoos in Australia. Overseas holders are just taking surplus animals I think, and the chances of these (or their offspring) ever being allowed back into Australia is extremely low.

11. Jabiru96

I agree that it has to have more holders but not sure if overseas is exactly the best idea either. Australia doesn't accept back any native animals that are sent overseas (e.g. all koalas sent to Europe/Asia/USA are destined to never return), so if the wild population crashed the only solution would to be used captive devils from both the mainland and Tasmania. Essentially all overseas native animals are ambassadors that will never be released or contribute to any breeding program that is planned for release. So pretty much the only real reason that the authorities send natives overseas is the educate the foreign public. I guess that is why so few native species are in fact sent overseas: they are of more importance back here and it attracts tourists coming to see unique and endangered species.

12. WLV30SAS

WLV30SAS Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Otters; Twin Chimps

The City has passed a bond to build a 2 million dollar North American Otter Exhibit at the Albuquerque Aquarium ( In connection to the Zoo by being the Bio-Park).

Twin Chimps born at the Zoo on November 4. Posted by the BioPark Society's Facebook Page.

13. TZFan

Wow twin chimps that is cool. They are destined to be the zoos new superstars.

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. WLV30SAS

WLV30SAS Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New Jaguar Arives at zoo

From the Zoos Facebook :
    New Jaguar Arrives at Zoo

Meet Maya, the ABQ BioPark's newest addition, who arrived on October 27 from the San Antonio Zoo. Once her quarantine is over in a few weeks, she will be on exhibit in the enclosure next to lManchas, age 16, the Zoo's male jaguar who arrived from the León Zoo in Mexico on April 26, 2001.

16. TZFan

17. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

I just got back from a short visit.
    And I'm excited to see the white-necked ravens back out on exhibit! They were previously housed with the other African avian scavengers (vultures, goose, stork guineafowl and now some common ravens). They are now on exhibit where the zoo previously had a great hornbill.

19. Milwaukee Man

20. Milwaukee Man