Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio RioZoo

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by carlos77, 5 Sep 2010.

1. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

RioZoo
    This a very large collection which is the oldest zoo in Brazil. It is located in the center of the city, not in the southern part of Rio de janiero where the lovely botanical gardens are. The zoo has very outdated instalations, most of the animals are still in wire mesh cages or fences. However, the collection itself is important.
    RioZoo is notable for primates: 3 species of spider monkeys,5 species of capuchin monkeys, squirrel monkeys,2 species of titi monkeys, 2 species of saki monkey, howler monkeys, night monkeys. This is the small primate collection: goeldi´s monkey, pied tamarin,emperor marmoset, black tamarin, tassle eared marmoset, silvery marmoset, golden headed lion marmoset, common marmoset, golden marmoset, black pincel marmoset. There are also 3 species of baboon, 3 species of macaque, and vervets monkeys. A row of moated enclousures hold 2 groups of chimpanzees, orangutans and a family of mandrill.
    There are moated areas for andean bear and brown bear, river otter and a nice island for crab eating foxes. Also a large area for maned wolf. A long carnivore area ( cages) has lions, bengal tiger, leopard, black panther, jaguar, puma, european lynx, 1 european wolf, jaguarundi, ocelot, bushdog, a very active tayra, along with coatis and amazon raccoon. Other brazilian mammals include great anteater, tamandua, capibara, tapirs in long spacious pens. The other mammals are 2 giraffes, a dromedary, nile hippos in a very spacious pool, llamas, auodads on a cliffside and an asian elephant in a very small pen. A nocturnal house is closed for renovation.
    Riozoo excels in birds. Again in very old cages. A large flight cage holds egyptian ibis, peacocks, roseate spoonbill, scarlet ibis, great heron and white faced ducks. Birds of prey includes harpy eagles, andean condors, king vultures, seriemas and others. Various species of owl. Vultures, egrets and boat billed herons are free and nest in colonies in the zoo. There are also ostrich, nañdu, emu and a cassowary. Many species of toucans and cracids. Here are the parrots, blue and scarlet macaws in a large cage at the entrance, white belly parrot, black headed parrot, ring necked parrekeet, short tailed parrot, blue headed parrot, black headed conure, red shouldered macaw, white headed conure, illger´s macaw, mealy parrot, red fronted macaw, hynacinth macaws, miltary macaw, red masked parrot,saly headed parrot,yellow fronted parrot,red caped parrot,crimson conure and golden conures, which are very loved in Brazil.
    There is a notable new enclousure, a very tall caged cliff with a pair of lear´s macaw, that the sign says that are the only pair on exhibit in any zoo.
    There is a small reptile house with reticulated pythons, ball pythons, anaconda, rainbow boa, boa constrictor, S.A. rattlesnake, 2 species of fer- de -lance, gabon viper, puffing snake, tropical rat snake,cururu toad, green boa and a florida softshell turtle. Outside there are islands with large green iguanas, 2 species of S.A. tortoises, pools with 4 species of caiman, and a large pool for black amazon turtles, mud turtles and yellow necked sliders.
    There is also a small farm with domestic animals.
    This is the main zoo. Outside there is a new section called Pasarela do Fauna. It begins with a very large mixed species pen which includes red deer, many nañdu (rheas), crested screamers, S.A. geese and ducks, and more turtles. After this a small fresh water aquarium with mostly amazon fishes in good tanks, such as pacu, oscar, pirana, ciclid and diverse catfish. A loggerhead turtle lives in a spacious but very empty tank.
    When i can i will post some pictures.

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

That is an excellent collection of new world primates!

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for this inventory!

It be nice to know more detail on exhibits for the primates and the local fauna.

Any idea of a plan or Masterplan here?

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Wow, well done Carlos for such a comprehensive list. I also visited this zoo recently and didn't manage to see all of it, but will be posting a brief review shortly. One thing that impressed me was the variety of 'exotic' animals (e.g. Jungle cat, Blue-throated macaws and Greater Vasa Parrots) but endemic fauna were definitely a highlight.

@KB: here are some photos of the model of the zoo at the entrance to give an idea of the placement of enclosures:

5. carlos77

All of RioZoo is outdoors except for the aquarium, reptile and nocturnal houses. The primates (except the great apes and mandrill) were all housed in wire mesh cages with many branches and climbing material. The brazilian mammals ( tapir, great anteater, capibara, tamandua,maned wolf and collared peccary) had long pens which were spacious. This zoo in general has very outdated conditions even by latin american standards. I hope that now that Rio will recieve the olympics the zoo will be finally upgraded, since the collection is in itself very good.

6. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

The 2009 repport of the Enviromental Committee of Rio de Janeiro Municipality says that the zoo even don´t meet the minimum requirements of Ibama in most of his enclosures, also visitor facilities don´t meet the demand of the zoo.

In response to the repport RioZoo recently announced a ambitious rennovation plan, trying to get a adjacent area from the province of Rio to almost double the size of the zoo, now of 11,5 ha. The main problem is that the province still didn´t agree in give this area for the zoo, that is owned by the Municipality of Rio and is a election year, so this will be delayed.

The rennovation of some enclosures was started early as planned due that a Jaguar killed a Leopard at 9 august, the failure of one of the doors is considered by the investigation.

The Zoo wants to have is rennovation concluded for the World Cup in 2014.

7. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Good to hear they are working on renovating the exhibits!

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Do they have any Giant otters?

9. Kifaru Bwana

Is the Zoo do Rio Masterplan available?
    What is the role of the Brazilian Zoo Asssociation (SBZ ... I think)?
    Any native species recovery or conservation breeding programmes now operational for the whole country?

10. eduardo_Brazil

Im aware only of the Brazilian River Otter: Lontra longicaudis.

11. eduardo_Brazil

No there is no masterplan! They want Oscar Niemeyer Office to make it...so was announced, but I dont sure how this is going and I think is not a good choice since RioZoo dont needs modern architeture but good and naturalistic enclosures.

They start to renovate without a plan.

There is no Zoo in Brasil with a Masterplan!

SZB - Sociedade dos Zoologicos do Brasil is mostly a figurative institution, they dont play a big role in Brazil and there are no standards fixed by them, so all Brazilian zoos and aquariums are accredited by SZB.

There is only one national breeding programm and is not run by SZB, is run by UNESP (University of Sao Paulo) Jaboticabal Campus for the Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus) and involves zoos and private breeding centers.

There is one national studbook for all Ateles species present in captivity in Brazil, but is not a effective program, there are no breeding recommendations or transferers, etc. Its only to collect data.

There are also the international programs that you all aware: Saguinus bicolor, the 3 Leontopithecus species present in captivity, Spix, Lears and the populations of Maned wolf´s, Bush Dogs and Giant River Otter´s are included in the ISB.

There are several tentatives to start breeding programs but it really dont works, for species like Chiropotes satanas, Brachyteles.

12. Kifaru Bwana

So, SZB is a talk shop! :rolleyes: Sad to hear that.

Obviously, there IS a lot that requires doing. Out of interest: if IBAMA considers RioZoo not meeting minimum standards, why is not something government-wise done about it? Is it not in the interest of Brazil to portray its endangered flora and fauna to the general public and overseas visitors. It could be a major draw-card from a country otherwise infamously known ... (crime, deforestation) :mad: and for its samba soccer game and not much else.

Is the CBSG Brazil group moving any ground?

13. eduardo_Brazil

The main problem is that around 80 % for Brazilian Zoos don´t meet the Minimum requirments...and if Ibama take any action in providing support for 1 of them, the others also will have this support. The main problem of Brazilian Zoos is that 90% of them are owned by Municipalities and Provinces, so this makes the investments very difficult...there is no money for rennovations, the tickets are very cheap since is a public institution (RioZoo for example around 2,7 Euros)! All zoos are over capacity with animals delivered by Ibama, Enviromental Police and Private Persons!

Well a condition that is still present in all Brazilian Zoos is that they serve basically for entertainment, Ex situ conservation ou even educational purposes are still not considered. I hope this will change in near future and for sure it will be easier for this zoos to get support!

You forgot to say that Brazil is also well know for is "biopiracy" and wildlife trade!

CBSG Brasil ( or shall I say Patricia Medici) makes a good job with Lowland Tapirs and recently some analisis with some primate species started.

14. Kifaru Bwana

I suppose first of all we - as in Brasileiros - must consider and recognise that zoos are public facilities with no commercial goals, rather educational and cultural and ... that conservation orientation is a MUST. It then all comes down to a recognition that presentation of a wild animal collection requires a more robust budget for each facility, adequate investment by Councils and Provinces and Central Government (Sr. Lula where are you now?) and consequently a small, yet significant raise in entry fees to enable zoos and similar DO conservation facilities (the Primate Center do Rio) to improve ...

Re: biopiracy and wildlife trade ... Agreed, but I am not in the business to put down a country. Respect for each others culture, positives and failures is everything .... :)
    (

15. eduardo_Brazil

Im meaning by public zoos, zoos owned by municipalities or provinces. We have only 4 big private owned zoos and the difference is big from them to the state owned. Better enclosures, good husbandry protocols, modern veterinary facilities.

The main problem of state owned Zoos in Brasil is the delay in giving funds for the Zoos or even provide funds for them, since there are other priorites for the governors (Health, Education, Wolrd Cup, etc), and the seccond big problem is that the income of the entrance fees first goes to the government and after it goes back to the zoos in smaller parcels or even in products needed for the zoos. One example in May the Zoo do RS, celebrated its 40 years and registered a income in entrance fees in this day of around 300.000 USD...well it would be great for the zoo, since is a lot of money in Brazilain Standards, but at monday the income was forwarded to the Province of RS, that give every month money back to the zoo, but it never reach such a big amount in 1 month and no renovations happend...the money only covers the basic: food for the animals ( a simple one) and salaries of the workers. So is quitte difficult manage state owned zoos in Brasil and due this all of them are outdated.

RioZoo is a paradise if you compare the zoo with other zoos: Goiania (closed for 1 year now due high mortality rates last year), Niteroi (where the feral domestic cats sleep in the the cages with the zoo animals)...

And Im not making a bad image of Brasil, Im olny said what the press shows about Brasil in Europe...recently I was in Netherlands, Belgium and France and all friends I visited there when I asked why you dont came over to Brasil, the answer was the same for all of them: Its to risky...we know that in Rio they kill 20 people each day, what for sure its not true, but is the image that is shown in overseas about Brasil! Other question they made me: is it true that the Amazon Forest is almost deforrested? No its not true never it was so controlled than yet. So Lula is making a good job, but for the Zoos I agree with him in not providing funds for them, since the owners (states, municipalities) have a lot of money, its only a question of how to expend it.

For instance the best Zoos in Brasil: Curitiba, Zooparque Itatiba, Parque das Aves and Gramado Zoo..only Curitiba is state owned the others are all private owned zoos. Itatiba is the first one that started with themed exhibits having the biggest African Savana in South America with a amazing group of 5 white rhinos, among elephants, hippos, antelopes, Cheetahs, etc. And you know why this zoo is so developed? Simple: is owned by Europeans, the same owners of Schmiding Zoo in Austria.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Ed,

My gist was that as environment-nature is a cultural-natural heritage it should be economically valued. Consequently, as zoos SHOULD be considered part of that heritage they need to be properly financed as it is not a purely commercial interest. It SHOULD be a commercial interest to invest in animal-sound and public-appealing animal exhibits and ANIMAL WELFARE should be an issue the government MUST be interested in. Seems it is not and that says something about where we stand in terms of appreciating our cultural-natural heritage. If we do not, we have consequently lesser standards ... of eat or be eaten (the right of the fittest is not always the best ... certainly not in terms of human nature.

The fact that commercial zoos are doing better as you indicate is more to do with the people behind them then anything else.

The economics issue goes basically down to this: a rainforest standing is worth 1,000,000 times a cut forest. I admit Lula is doing a better job now of the Amazon rainforest than any Brasilian president before hime (do not mention GLOBO), ... It is a good start, but seeing what has been damaged in the past and how human encroachment is still happening in Inner Amazonia or Minais Gerais and Parana it remains a very hotly contested item internationally.

As for crime, I suppose that is true for the cities and true or not ... most tourists are a walking goldmine (to someone with less than a dollar in pocket). Also, may I remind you that in the Inner Amazonia anyone advocating environmental issues and going against the powerful barons is fair game (as one Chico Mendes sadly had to experience). Other than that I agree that the soup is in the eating.

Anyhow, I will come out if you invited me ... :D

K.B.

17. carlos77

I am amazed at all the feedback from my first post on zoochat. I am mexican not brazilian, but i do consider myself to be a latin american and brazil is very important for its biodiversity. Many foriegners like me will only see Riozoo when in brazil, so the zoo should recieve much more support from a "progressive" government like that of Lula. I should also mention that the contrast to the botanical garden in Rio de janiero is amazing. These gardens are for me the most beautiful location in the city. Many animals live there freely, egrets, herons, turtles, parrots, cracids and capuchin monkeys. The gardens are very well kept and clean and also have many visitors. Why do the botanical garden recieve support and the zoo stays in neglect, is beyond me. I hope that Lula and Dilma will understand what riozoo should be and that renovation of this important collection will finally become a reality.

18. eduardo_Brazil

KB,

Animal Welfare is still a challenge in Brazil, the mentality of the people (not only Zoo involved people) have to change a lot. But slowly its becames better. A example: recently we build the holding area for our Spider Monkeys and the workers where so surprised that it was wich such a standard, that it is better than the workers house, or when we asked this need to be better made, they said its for animals!!! So you understand what Im saying? Animals still dont have the necessary value they should have, because they are only animals!

Yes, for sure the quality of a zoo depends one the persons that are behind the zoo... there are several things than can be made without a lot of money for make zoos better, its depends only one interest and capacity of the zoo workers.

Im quite sure that funding for this zoos dont would be a problem if they are focused in cientifical research, enviromental education, breeding programs, etc. But zoos only with entertainment purposes dont have a good access to funds and I agree that the Central Brazilain Government dont give funds for them, the first responsability is the owner, and in this case City of Rio, that have a lot of money...its only a question is how to expend it!

The "powerfull barons" of course are still a big problem in Brazil, but like I said its changing, like you know we have a government that cames from the Masses and this Barons are loosing its power. But in Amazon the its not only the Barons the problem, the Caboclos are also a big problem, not with deforestation but with hunting!

Of course a standing forest have more value than only the land: there are several ways of explore the forest without cutting the trees, and some projects are working very well. The Eco Tourism industry could be better explored in Amazon, since is very defficient right now.

The Amazon Region Habitants are already paying for every thing they made against the forest, this year will be a historical dry season in Amazon, for sure you will ear about that in short time in the midia!

There are several persons killed by the powerfill barons, Chico Mendes only got more midia, since he was the first one, or if not killed they got to the prision (Marc van Roosmalen).

Carlos77,

The reason why Jardim Botanico is in a better situation is that its a cientific institution, with several research projects that get funds and its not owned by the city of Rio, but by the Brazilian Government and is run by very capable persons that understand that the way of keep such collections changed.

You can be sure that RioZoo will change for the Olimpic Games, for World Cup I dont believe it anymore, its to short time, but in 2016 RioZoo dont will be the same.

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member