Join our zoo community

RIP Malcolm Whitehead

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Peter Dickinson, 14 Aug 2011.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Very sad to have to report the death of Malcolm Whitehead. A sad loss to zoo education and zoos in general. My sincere condolences to friends, colleagues and family.

RIP Malcolm Whitehead

Zoo News Digest: RIP Malcolm Whitehead

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Peter for letting me know about Malcolm.

I had a talk with him two years ago. He listened to me and acted promptly, helping me with a problem that had lasted several months. I thought he was a kind person and am pleased that I knew him.

3. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Very, very sad. A great loss to the zoo world and also far too early in his life.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I cannot say any more than what anybody else has said about Malcom.

RIP Malcom Whitehead

5. hantslad

hantslad Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Malcolm Whitehead A great loss to Zoo education.

6. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

RIP to the first man I met who told more jokes in a tour than I did (and better) and agreed with me that people learn more when they are smiling. Loved his often offbeat sense of humour and clever insights into the human condition. I promise to keep telling jokes on tours. RIP Malcolm.

7. pearl

pearl New Member

heartbroken

Heartbroken to learn that Malcolm passed away months ago. Love him and his acute sense of humor. I want to know more about his death. So who can help to contact Peter Dickinson who post his news.

8. Dassie rat

Malcolm's books were given to the ZSL library and I have spent a few hours trying to sort them out. He had a very interesting collection and it seems that his musical tastes were similar to mine. It's a pity that I only had a few chats with him. It's also quite sad to find books like the second volume of the Handbook of Mammals of the World, which Malcolm had paid for, but which he never had the chance to see.

Malcolm's death is a very sad loss to the world of zoology.

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Has his musical collection passed to the ZSL library as well? I'm not sure what they would make of Captain Beefheart, John Zorn and various Bangra beats! Some fo my fondest memories of Malcolm are of discussing music with him - even if he did rather disdain my taste... He was, as has been said above, an excellent bloke - despite the obvious problems - and will be sorely missed.

10. Dassie rat

Hallo Sooty Mangabey

Malcolm had a large book collection, which has been given to the ZSL library. While the vast majority of his books are about animals, there are a few music books, including one on King Crimson. I can't remember the others at the moment, as I've been asked to sort through the zoology books. I don't know what happened to his music collection.

11. pearl

pearl New Member

Hello Dassie Rat

Dassie, in your post you said that " Malcolm had a large book collection, which has been given to the ZSL library." Do you know who sent his books to ZSL?

12. Dassie rat

Hello Pearl

I don't know if Malcolm wrote a will or if he made a request for his books to go to the ZSL Library. This may have been decided by members of his family. I think this was the case with Frank Wheeler's books a few years ago. Three weeks ago, several boxes of Malcolm's books came to the ZSL library, but there are still many more to come. The vast majority of the books are in very good condition and cover various aspects of zoology.