Join our zoo community

RIP Peter Dickinson

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TeaLovingDave, 22 Nov 2022.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

News has come in on social media that Peter Dickinson - a vastly experienced retired zoo professional who was the owner and editor of ZooNews Digest, where he posted zoo news, job listings and a wide range of personal blogs covering various zoological subjects, and at one point a decade ago was a fairly regular contributor to this forum under the eponymous username @Peter Dickinson - has passed away in Thailand.

I didn't know him very well at all, unlike some members of this forum (both past and present), but he was always someone "on my radar". With his passing we have lost a priceless source of historical information, zoological expertise and general knowledge.

2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some very sad news. His posts on Facebook were incredibly valuable, often sharing job adverts, zoo news, and scientific papers. RIP Peter.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I am saddened by this news. Peter was passionate, knowledgeable and, like so many of us, opinionated. His contributions to the worldwide zoo community will be missed

baboon and Ituri like this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had noticed the lack of facebook news but thought it was fb acting up again (it was that, too). A major loss to the zoo community! And to his family, too, of course.

TNT and Ituri like this.
  5. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Wow, this is absolutely devastating! What a great loss! I am sorry to hear about this. He will be greatly missed...

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I only corresponded with Peter on a couple of occasions, but his ZooNews Digest site is one that I have followed for many years via Facebook. Occasionally, he would mention that his claim to fame was having "penguins in the desert".

Here is a link from last December about "The Penguin Programme in Ski Dubai" that details the arrival of penguins in the United Arab Emirates:

The Penguin Programme in Ski Dubai

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  7. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

His posts on LinkedIn were similarly valuable, posting these same things there as well.

TNT and snowleopard like this.