Join our zoo community

Roger Williams Park Zoo construction

Discussion in 'United States' started by uszoo, 16 Apr 2012.

1. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- A few weeks ago this zoo canceled there long planned polar bear exhibit. What amazed me was that they had already begun construction on several new exhibits. Across from the african elephants they were building a mid sized red river hog exhibit. On the hillside next to the snow leopards they were were building a takin exhibit and next to the rainforest they were nearly done with an andean condor exhibit. The keeper who was giving a presentation said the were planning a tiger exhibit and in the meantime building many small projects. This is occuring at the same time as they are building a new england themed exhibit

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The aviary is not for condors, but for King Vultures.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed this post:
    What is it that amazed you then?
    It sounds like they canceled one very expensive exhibit and went ahead with 3 rather inexpensive ones.

4. deanmo19

deanmo19 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that next year they should remove the Patagonian mara exhibit in order to make way for the expanded humboldt penguin exhibit, expand the bison exhibit and move the pronghorns there, move the muntjacs to the red-crowned crane exhibit, replace the pronghorn exhibit with a new moose exhibit, move the crowned cranes to the giraffe exhibit, replace the muntjac exhibit with a new red fox exhibit, and expand their exhibit to include baboons or Patas monkeys.

5. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's almost the exact same thing I hope! However, I doubt that some of this will happen soon. Do you mean expand the crowned crane exhibit to house monkeys? I thought over that and think that it'd be a better choice to put perhaps a duiker species in there.