Join our zoo community

Rolling Hills Zoo Rolling Hills Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by kbaker116, 20 Jul 2009.

1. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

I was just interested if anyone has been to the Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure in Salina, Kansas. If they could tell some highlights or give a review that would be great.

2. jhubbard

jhubbard New Member

I use to work there.

3. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited this place in May as part of a tour of Mid-west zoos. What struck me as a visitor from the UK was that Rolling Hills had an almost 'British zoo' feel to it (a bit like Marwell, for those who know that zoo), with fenced enclosures and functional exhibits - rather than multi-million$$$ immersion exhibits.
    The animal collection is dominated by larger mammals, including an Indian Rhino, White Rhinos, giraffes (mixed with Grant's Gazelles), Pronghorn and quite a few big cats. There is also a small Reptile House and a Natural History Museum on the site. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the general area.

4. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there a couple of times in the past few years. Nothing stands out in terms of exhibit design and theming. Just open fields with fence around them mostly. Best season to visit would be either spring or fall. But if you are from a long distance away, be sure there is something else to visit beside the zoo. Half a day's time is plenty.

5. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree half a day is adequate - our group combined it with a visit to the Sunset Zoo (Manhattan) on the same day. Of the 2 zoos, we preferred Rolling Hills. We were lucky to go there on a pleasant Spring day: on a wet day or a very hot Summer day it wouldn't be quite so appealing.

6. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I was there on a cold, wet day in early April and, you're right, that took a lot of the joy out of it. It is as described above -- lots of large animals and lots of cages. It seemed to me that they almost put more emphasis on their Natural History Museum, filled with many taxidermied animals in realistic poses.

If you're driving east on I-70 (from Colorado), you'll see a billboard for Rolling Hills about every 20 miles.

7. sitatunga

sitatunga Active Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado. United States
    I've been here too. Not bad with some interseting animals. But the museum is even better coolest animals and no glass. even saighas wish they were alive though.

8. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

Well I glad to hear your thoughts. I know the man who started the zoo, Charlie Walker. The zoo actually started off as a Belgium Draft Horse farm, he offered tours for vistors. Then he added a few Llamas and a bear and a lioness. It basically grew from their. I'm glad though he donated his collection to the city and didn't become a collector. He partly owns it but doesn't direct it. He is a very successful man. My family is trying to plan a trip because he promised us a behind the scenes tour. But if we go there I'm sure we would have to go to the Kansas City Zoo and see their large Africa exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Try also to get to the Sedgwick County Zoo, which is even closer to Rolling Hills in Wichita. While KC likely has the best African exhibit (and a very good Australian exhibit), Sedgwick has great exhibits of 5 continents, plus an exciting Jungle building, nice reptile house, very good penguin habitat, and probably the best farm exhibit in America.

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Please check your facts:

1. This facility has been AZA accredited for many years
    2. Rolling Hills doesnt even have clouded leopards
    3. I doubt they possibly have the largest collection of snow leopards with 1.1
    4. And I believe you have Rolling Hills mixed up with Tanganyika Wildlife Park

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[QUOTE
    4. And I believe you have Rolling Hills mixed up with Tanganyika Wildlife Park[/QUOTE]

Which will never be AZA accredited....

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Soooo sorry. Yes, I was thinking of Tanganyika. Please discount all previous posts.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

From the website homepage:

Silver Spring, Maryland (September 27, 2010) – The Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) today announced that Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure was granted accreditation by AZA’s independent Accreditation Commission.

15. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Even as a native Kansas, I have made this mistake countless times, don't beat yourself up.

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I provided an extensive review of this establishment on my 50 day, 50 zoo/aquarium summer road trip, and I recently uploaded numerous photos of both the zoo and museum into the ZooChat gallery.

17. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. capuchin2008

capuchin2008 New Member