Join our zoo community

Zoo Rostock Rostock news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Nisha, 10 Apr 2014.

1. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

I didn't know Dinda was expecting. How exciting! When is she due?

And yes, it definitely is surprising, especially considering both Hsiao-Ning and Dinda were rejected by their mothers. Miri is now not with Sabas, Hsiao-Ning, Niah and Dinda is she?

2. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member

Monkey World born, hand-raised Bornean orangutan Dinda's baby (female) was born 5th Feb and she is proving an attentive mother.

Miri also due soon according to the article above.

katti4493 likes this.
  4. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

Here is the most complete article I can find about Dinda's baby's birth. There is also an option to vote on the baby's name. The article is in German, but I've provided a (rough) translation below:

http://www.zoo-rostock.de/de/unser_...g_utan_nachwuchs_ist_da_und_sucht_einen_namen

“Orangutans: Now Dinda is also the mother of a little girl, Sabas is a father for the second time.

Early on Monday at 8.15am came the perfect joy. Orangutan lady Dinda (11) brought her first pup into the world and took care of her baby from the first second, like her older sister Hsiao-Ning (14). A big gasp of relief came at 5.45pm, as the Zookeeper in the Darwineum clearly saw the baby sucking from the mother’s breast for the first time.

‘Mother and child are in good health. The birth proceeded without problems. The baby welcomed the world with loud calls,’ said the curator Antje Zimmermman, pleased and relieved, ‘meanwhile, we can observe whether the little girl is drinking regularly and well. Therefore, we can see how things pan out, and that the mother and baby relationship develops optimally. The baby weighs about 1000g, it is a very strong baby.’ The father is the male Rostock Orangutan birth Sabas (14). ‘When Dinda comes to the enclosure and shows her baby to the visitors, we can leave the young mother alone,’ said Antje Zimmerman.

The sister’s happiness is now complete

With our orangutans, Dinda is now the happy mum of a little girl. Our Zookeepers have chosen five names for the baby that was born on February 5th to be considered and now it’s your turn: what should the third Orangutan girl in the Darwineum be called?

Overview of the names:

Minah (meaning “Honest”)

LinTang (meaning “Star”)

Santi (meaning “For the Collective Good”)

Luh (meaning “Little Girl”)

Tanah (which is the name of a Malaysian town)”

Friends of the zoo can help choose the Name

Surya, Niah and what shall the third Orangutan girl be called? The Zookeepers at the Darwineum have had many ideas. The decision should, as with the first two young animals, lie with friends of the zoo. They can vote for five Indonesian names from the place of origin of the red “Forest people” on our website and via Facebook.

Choose from: Minah (“Honest”), LinTang (“Star”), Santi (“for the good”), Luh (“little girl”) or Tanah (the name of a city). Subsequently, the announcement of the selected name for the young female resident of the Darwineum will take place.

The Parents: New Mother Dinda and Father Sabas

Dinda came on 10th December 2015 from England to Rostock Zoo, at the request of the co-ordinator of the European Endangered Species Programme (EEP) for Orangutans. She was born on 6th July 2006 at the Primate Rescue Centre Monkey World in Wareham, Dorset. Her father is Tuan and her mother is RoRo. Dinda, like her full sister Hsiao-Ning, was hand-raised. Both initially grew up in the Orangutan Kindergarten at Monkey World. While Dinda is very reluctant and shy, her sister has developed into a self-confident orangutan lady. The two now share the father of their children: Sabas is also the father of Hsiao-Ning’s daughter Niah, who was born on 24th July 2017 at Rostock Zoo. So Dinda could enjoy the past half year at her sister’s “mother’s class”. For Sabas, he is the father of a second young animal. The small harmonious group of the young boss Sabas with his females Dinda and Hsiao-Ning, as well as the “family pet” Niah and Dinda’s baby, has grown to five family members.

In the neighbouring enclosure live Sabas’ parents Sunda (41) and Ejde (37) as well as their child Surya (4) and Miri (13), who is expecting Ejde’s baby early in the year. The Zoo visitors can then experience up close a total of four young animals being reared in the “Tropical Hall”.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

On monday orangutan-female Miri gave birth to a healthy baby in view of the visitors. Sex of the young still unknown.

katti4493 likes this.
  6. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

Just in case anyone is unaware, the female Bornean Orangutan (born 5th Feb 2018 to Sabas and Dinda), now has a name. Five names were put to the public vote, and in end, the name "LinTang" won 70% of the vote, and was therefore chosen.

For an article in German, please see here: Zoo Rostock: Orang-Utan-Baby hat einen Namen

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member

And Miri's baby daughter is called Mayang unless my 'just scraped through O level last century' German is letting me down

katti4493 likes this.
  8. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Apparently yesterday the new "Polarium" polar bear exhibit opened at Zoo Rostock.

I'm not familiar with the zoo as it way too far away in Germany for me to be able to visit, but I've read on a few zoo-related Facebook pages that some people - i.e. the usual suspects at PETA - aren't too pleased with the new exhibit.

Polarium: Peta kritisiert "Eisbärengefängnis" im Zoo Rostock | Nordkurier.de
    ProZoo

These animal rights people just don't seem to be able to stand it when investments are made to improve the welfare and living conditions of captive animals. No, it seems they prefer to see animals "rather dead then fed" and well-taken care off in human care - because well, human care just has to be cruel.

Why can't these extremists ever complain about actual animal cruelty and go do something about actual problems in interaction with animals under human care or about issues facing wildlife, instead of picking at easy public targets like zoos in the media? Do these fanatical idiots really think they can actually do anything for animals by always getting on everyone's nerves?

From what I can see in a few clips that were linked in the Facebook posts I saw the new exhibit actually looks pretty good and adequate.

Moderne Heimat für Eisbären

Definitely looks like an improvement from the old exhibit, featured here in the gallery:
    Polar Bear Exhibit | ZooChat

PS: I hope I haven't been too crude and harsh about the animal rights people this time. I just have strong feelings and no patience or tolerance whatsoever for these people.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Sep 2018
    pipaluk likes this.
  9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

@KevinB There might be a pretty simple reason for the recent reaction of the German branch of PETA, and the cited Nordkurier article even alludes to it: with its various recent crude campaigns and mounting reports about its (more or less) hidden fanatic agenda and financial opacity, PETA Germany (and I guess PETA in general) is slowly but surely losing its support among political stakeholders, the media, national animal rights organisations and foremost, the general public. Some German politicians have even begun to challenge PETA's benefit to the public, which would have drastic effects on its tax payment rates. By picking up the notes on polar bears left behind by their former anti-zoo employee (who now soldiers on as a one-man army called EndZoo), they try to cash on the popularity of polar bears among German zoo visitors. Granted, some of the critical points raised by PETA in the article might be worth considering, but PETA has lost so much credibility that I doubt many will pay attention to them.
    As for Zoo Rostock, having a new attraction that might bring in in more visitors could be rather crucial at the moment. The Darwineum hasn't delivered the planned raise in revenues, and the recently increased ticket prices aren't very helpful in attracting more locals. Not to mention that Vogelpark Marlow is doing a good job as a worthy local competitor...

Last edited: 22 Sep 2018
    zoomaniac, Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Zoo Rostock: Gorilla bringt totes Baby zur Welt – und sorgt sich liebevoll darum

Zoo Rostock: Gorilla gives birth to a dead baby - and looks after it lovingly

I noticed the Great Ape Project have a dig over this story, saying "It is not unusual, the Rostock Zoo Director Udo Nagel claims that gorillas lose their first offspring. The fact that this is only found under the captive conditions of zoos, but not in the open air, he forgets to mention. "

Are there records to say that wild gorilla births are generally successful for first time mothers?

11. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member

In such cases a lack of evidence doesn't mean that it is true, given the difficulty of observing wild Gorilla compared to captive ones. That said the scientific literature does mention stillbirths and infant mortality of up to 42 percent for the first year is known from the wild and that is the results of googling 2 minutes.... In general it is pretty common for many primate species to keep the dead baby for several days both in the wild and in captivity....

Kifaru Bwana and littleRedPanda like this.
  12. littleRedPanda

That's what I was thinking last night @lintworm but my googling couldn't find anything to back it up ;)

13. littleRedPanda

I posted a few links to argue against their claims on the Great Ape Project facebook and a photo from WAMS to compare with their "zoos are prisons" images …. and got banned/deleted. These people really make me sick now as they have no interest in species preservation from what I can see.

14. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member

Are there any annual reports or something like that available about the zoo? I'm especially interested in financial details