Join our zoo community

Rotterdam Zoo Rotterdam zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Writhedhornbill, 9 May 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am happy that Blijdorp is investing in vultures which are becoming more uncommon in their natural habitat in Africa. A huge illegal wildlife trade exists from Africa to Europe in vultures and even capturing some of the adult breeding population has huge repercussions for socially nesting vultures (+ they reach maturity at a somewhat advanced age making any offtake of adults a considerable inroad into the survivability of vultures at large).

It seems strange though that of to date none have been listed on ISIS. I know Avifauna keep a group - which strangely enough is highly skewed towards male vultures, e.g. G. rueppelli with 19.1. I wonder what the sex make up of the Blijdorp vultures is? :confused:

2. Kifaru Bwana

Guys,

Can we please get back on topic here! For goodness sake San Diego is way off Rotterdam. If you have any valid questions why not start a new thread?

On Rotterdam: does anyone yet know the sex ratio of both the G. rueppelli and the N. monachus at Blijdorp? Is their intention to breed from these and the marabu storks (in the new to be built aviary)?

What will happen with the crowned crane pair? An exhibit of their own or on the savannah (sub-optimal me thinks)?

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jelles right guys lets stay on track here, cheers

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Sorry Mark,

I only had one quick question!

How many Wreathed hornbill does Rotterdam house?
    I believe they bred them recently...

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

No problems Jono, cheers

6. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

@Jelle: I know blijdorp wants to breed with the marabu-storks in the future (i believe they are still quite young) A possible + for that is that hey will be able to fly again in the future as their ability to fly is only taken temporarily (I don't know the terms of the modifications to the wings in english, hence the weird description :) sorry). So in the future they will have full sets of wings again which will give them better balance during mating.
    I'm not sure what the planns with the vultures and cranes are. (blijdorp already has quite some separate enclosures for other species of cranes so i sort of expect them to do the same for the crowned ones...)

@ Hornbill: Blijdorp has 2 pairs of wreathed hornbills. (1 up high in taman indah and the other one is now in rumah asia i think, but blijdorp rotates the pairs (of wreathed and indians) every now and then so i'm not 100% sure.). The thought the pair in taman indah is nesting, just like the pair of blyths.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Yup, the flying bit will certainly help the birds in mating better. As colonial breeders they do have the right make-up at 3.3?

Treb, do you know by any chance if these marabu storks are fresh imports or progeny of other captive-bred pairings?

Why is Cathy King (the bird researcher) no longer on the Blijdorp staff?

8. Trebaruna

I believe the sexes were quite equal, so 3,3 could be right. Maybe 4,4 but i'll have to count next time i'm there ;)
    A couple of years ago (i would guess 2 years) blijdorp got a group of marabu-storks that was confiscated by customs. I once heared that they probably originated from tanzania (but maybe that was just a rumour) Blijdorp had a pair by that time already and i think the are now in the enclosure altogether. So i would say that 1,1 is the "old" (don't know their age) pair and the rest is new import. (reading this back, it's a lot of maybees, guesses and uncertainties ;):))

Unfortunately i know very little about the staff in the zoo so i can't tell you about Cathy King, sorry.

9. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

hey jelle Cathy is at fuenguirola now as far as i know

10. Kifaru Bwana

I have just checked the EAZA Yearbook and they came through Sharjah in 2005. Sharjah also confiscated a large group of von der Decken's hornbills at the time. These also were redistributed over EAZA zoos. I suppose some of the current breeding stock are derived from these confiscees.

11. Trebaruna

Blijdorp has 6 marabu storks left. Probably the 6 new ones. 2 animals were destined to be send to an english zoo, but 1 flew away. I believe it died, but i'm not sure how the story ended. So only 1 animal went to england.

12. black-star

black-star Well-Known Member

Blijdorp have 3.3

1 old en 5 new (if I remember it well).

13. Trebaruna

A bactrian camel was born in blijdorp. THe little guy was a surprise because blijdorp only keeps females for quite some time now. The females blijdorp has were meant to go to a zoo in the uk, but due to bluetongue they stranded somewhere (not sure exactly were). At that temporary site the had to be a male that mated this female right before taking of to blijdorp. the little male is called Sjoerd.

The banteng couple (Madura x Margreet) has offspring. A male, like last year. He is called Richard (last years male was called onslow... there seems to be a keeper that is fan of "keeping up appearances"...)

14. Trebaruna

Rhino female Namaste now looks like this, she can''t get much bigger;
    [​IMG]
    so it probably won't be long now...
    About the construction inside taman indah; i have pics but you can''t realy get a good idea when you seen them. It's still not 100% clear to me if it's going to be one bigger enclosure or 2 smaller ones...

[​IMG]
    the box for male elefant Sibu is in place. He'll move soon.

15. black-star

black-star Well-Known Member

Today moved elephant Sibu from Rotterdam Zoo to Dierenrijk near Eindhoven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.