Join our zoo community

Australian Reptile Park Rough Scaled Python

Discussion in 'Australia' started by boof, 13 May 2008.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was just having a look at ISIS about Rough Scaled Pythons and noticed that Adeliade, Melbourne and Perth noe list these animals in their collections. I know that the reptile park at Gosford also have them. Does anyone know where the zoos got theirs from? Are they going to breed them? I remember watching a doco a few years ago about the Gosford reptile park collecting some from the Kimberlys, are these the parents of the ones now at the zoos or have the zoos collected their own?

2. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

The Australian Reptile Park did obtain a small group from the wild in the Kimberley Region, WA. Since then they have since put a few on display and some off-display for breeding they have produced several clutches which have since been put on the australian reptile trade selling at around AU $7000+ and offered to other zoo's around Australia i am currently unsure if they have been offered overseas yet i believe they probably have... Just like most of our natives... In the last couple of years they have taken off in the Australian market becoming a prized pieve to experience herp keepers and being reproduced rapidly every season... No more licences have been issued since 1998 issued by CALM for wild capture of a small group.

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks thorney devil, and welcome to zoo beat.