Join our zoo community

Royal Parks Wildfowl Collection,Regent's Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Eric, 28 Jan 2018.

1. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today and must say I was very disappointed with the whole thing hardly any non-native birds around.

All that were around were - Chiloe wigeon, Rosy billed pochard, Bufflehead & Canvasback.

No geese to mention except - Ross's, Pink footed, Egyptian, Barnacle, Greylag, Canada & Mute swan

Waterfowl seen - Smew, Pochard, Red crested pochard, Coot, Moorhen, Grey heron, Mandarin duck, Plumed whistling duck, Shoveler, Great crested grebe, Falcated teal, Mallard, White faced whistling duck & Tufted duck.

Other species seen around the park were - Ring necked Parakeet, Carrion crow, Magpie, Robin, Pied wagtail, Dunnock, Wren, Grey heron, Blackbird, Starling, Redwing, Grey wagtail, Song thrush, Black headed gull & 5 large gulls flying around.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume the four species you mention first were in an enclosed area, but also from the others you list further down, weren't the Smew, RCP, Whistling Ducks, Falcated Teal etc enclosed too? Also Ross' and Barnacle Geese I imagine were in an enclosure?

Whereabouts did you find the enclosed birds?

4. AdrianW1963

If you enter the park from Marylebone st as you enter the lake is just in front of you turn left then walk till you get to a bridge the enclosed part is on the left of the bridge.
    Yes most of waterfowl were in the enclosed area except for Moorhen, Coot, Mute swan, Canada/Egyptian/Greylag geese, Red crested pochard (this could have been an excaped bird as thier were many in the enclosed area.

Must admit it's the first park I've been to and the Grey Heron just ignore you, we walked right past one and could have easily touched it.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's where I normally see the ornamental/more delicate species but on my last walk past there I didn't see any at all(it was raining though..) And yes, the Herons are extremely tame nowadays. I saw several standing around an old lady 'feeding the birds'.

6. AdrianW1963

Will be returning in the summer as we have said we will get the train and then walk again through the park
    Will be loading a map with the area marked out so everyone can see the area but don't forget to walk round the rest of the lake you never know what you will see.

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How underwhelming as a world wildfowl collection. Just a small horseshoe lake with no public access.Public lakes nearby just host to native wild birds.So,still great if you like natural wildlife

8. AdrianW1963

REGENTS PARK

09 – 03 – 2019 (09.20am)

Decided to have a little longer around the park this morning aiming to get to the zoo around 11.00am.

On entering the park noticed 3 Carrion Crow’s with what is now becoming common white marking on their wings and body we have quite a few of these birds around the Black Country.

The usual friendly birds were around the likes of Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Greylag Goose, Feral Pigeon, Grey heron, Magpie and Black Headed Gulls were in good numbers all over the park.

On the water were Coot, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Shelduck, Great Crested Grebe, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Lesser Black Backed Gull Little Grebe (with nesting material in beak) & Gadwall.

Walking around the park I also picked up Ring Necked Parakeet, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, House Sparrow, Green Woodpecker, Herring Gull, Kestrel, Great tit, Chaffinch, Kestrel (Hunting in the land just behind the ornamental bird pool), Redwing (just a single bird), Starling, Bullfinch, Goldfinch & Long Tailed tit.

Now onto the Ornamental pool did manage to see Bufflehead, Chiloe Wigeon, Common Wigeon, Common Goldeneye, Eider Duck, European Scaup, Falcated Teal (now becoming quite a regular British Bird), Gadwall, Greater White Cheeked Pintail, Hooded Merganser, Mandarin duck, Northern Shelduck, Northern Shoveler, Pink Footed Goose, Ross’s Goose, Red Crested Pochard, Red Breasted Goose, Lesser White Fronted Goose & Smew

Great hour and a bit around the park next time I may just come to stay around the park as I’m sure there are many more bird species hanging around.

Would recommend the Ornamental pool to everyone but be prepared to hang around to see many of the species or even take a pair of Binoculars (I will next time) so as you can see more clearly in to the under growth and checkout the trees from a distance.

Kifaru Bwana and Ned like this.
  9. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No pelican anymore?

10. AdrianW1963

Didn't see one thinking about it haven't seen one for a couple of years now.

11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There have never been pelicans on the lake in Regent's Park; to the best of my knowledge there are stlll pelicans on the lake in St. James' park.

pipaluk likes this.
  12. AdrianW1963

That's why I have never seen none only been going for a couple of years

13. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There were still at least three pelicans in St. James' Park as of two weeks ago. Last October (2018) I also saw the one free-flying specimen overhead in St. James' Park; I've read that this one does go to Regent's Park and the Zoo from time to time.

14. AdrianW1963

Are there any other non British waterfowl at St James park

15. Crowthorne

There are probably the usual suspects (pelicans aside), but I've not really taken much notice to be honest. There are some information boards by the lake, I can get some photos when the weather is nicer. There are definitely Egyptian Geese.

AdrianW1963 likes this.
  16. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Last time I visited St James' Park (my god, was it two years ago already?) I saw: Ross' geese, red-breasted geese, red-crested pochard, ruddy shelduck, and black swan, but many other non-natives were signposted.

Crowthorne likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure I would call Egyptian Geese non-British.

18. Crowthorne

They're non-native

birdsandbats and Falconhoof like this.
  19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know.

20. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Prague zoo sends 3 Great White Pelicans to St. James' park, all of them´ve hatched this February.

Crowthorne likes this.