Join our zoo community

Rare Species Conservation Centre RSCC closing

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nicholas, 21 Aug 2015.

1. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went to RSCC yesterday. As Crowthorne said, the staff were friendly and helpful and there were various talks throughout the afternoon, including a keeper throwing treats to the maned wolves.
    The small area near the entrance contained most of the unusual species and seemed a bit cramped, but the newer areas had a lot of unused space and I wonder what this could have been used for if the centre had stayed open.
    Quite a few animals were off show, such as the tarsiers and spotted cuscus and several enclosures were empty, despite having notices, so I wondered if how many other enclosures were also devoid of animals, despite lush vegetation. Some of the signposts were confusing. I followed the New Guinea signs, but I didn't find a specific outside area, although there were a few new Guinea mammals inside the small area near the entrance.
    Some of the animals were very active, including the fossa, echidna, red ruffed lemur, Dorcopsis wallaby, ring-tailed vontsira and narrow-striped boky. The Indochinese smooth-coated and giant otters spent some time in the water; it was a change to see otters that weren't Asiatic short-clawed otters. It was also nice to see the Andean cock-of-the-rock, which was the only non-mammal species on show. The clouded leopard and Malayan tiger were fairly inactive.
    The animal I liked seeing most was the white-striped dorcopsis. It was the first time that I'd seen a dorcopsis wallaby since I visited Taronga Zoo. Quite a few other people liked seeing the wallaby.
    The most entertaining conversation was between a child and adult. The child said a fossa could fly. "Are you sure it can fly?" "Yes." "Has it got wings?" "Yes".
    The best information notice concerned the Owston's palm civet, although I didn't see the animal itself. One visitor noticed the information about coffee being made from civet droppings and said that the civet made coffee. Another was amused that the coffee tasted of chocolate.
    Some of the deceased zoo animals appeared as stuffed animals and skeletons near the entrance. These included tarsiers and a sand cat. My friend was surprised that an antelope skull was propped up against an enclosure and wasn't firmly attached.
    I think it is very sad that RSCC is closing tomorrow, but I wonder about the lack of signage outside the zoo. To reach the zoo by foot involves walking along Dover Road, which later turns into a path that opens up onto a busy roundabout, from where the RSCC is obvious. I couldn't see any signposts pointing from the town centre, even near a notice saying, "Don't feed the walrus".
    There will still be some animals kept at RSCC for some time, but it seems that other zoos will be taking various species. I wish the staff well in future employment.

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Did you actually see the Dorcopsis?
    Or a Dusky Pademelon in the enclosure signed for Dorcopsis?

3. Dassie rat

Hello Laughing Dove

It was a dorcopsis wallaby. It had a grey body and I saw the white stripe. It was quite active, hopping around the enclosure. I saw the dusky pademelon at Plzen Zoo and this is a very different animal, having a brown, rather dumpier body and a broader face.

4. spike241

spike241 Well-Known Member

I've only ever seen the dusky pademelon on show so I'll have to check tomorrow.
    It's very active and usually hops up to the glass when people walk past

5. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder why the zoo didn't try to sell as a going concern? i wonder what plans they have for the site? more houses?

@ DR
    The Owston's palm civet and it's coffee connection was how the owner made his money I was told by his girlfriend, a few years ago now when I had my one and only visit, you could buy it in the shop rather expensive though.

6. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Owston's palm civet was actually in the entrance building, in the left-hand of the two end-wall enclosures labelled for Rusty Spotted Cat (the enclosures scattered with toys and blankets). A keeper briefly fished him out of his box right after the Palawan Binturong talk, but he went right back inside and did not want to be seen! Otherwise you could only catch a glimpse by looking through the door of the nest-box and even then he was very difficult to see.

7. Dassie rat

Thanks Crowthorne

I went past the 'rusty-spotted cat' enclosures a few times, but only saw the cuddly binturongs and other toys. I saw a keeper take a party into the house by the Owston's palm civet sign and I wonder if that enclosure had rusty-spotted cats instead.

8. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I went yesterday as well (was good to meet so many fellow Zoochatters!). I was especially pleased to see the slow lorises in the port-holes. Shows how useful lurking on Zoochat can be, if it wasn't for someone's post further back, I'd have just walked past!

9. spike241

The enclosure next to the civet sign used to house rusty spotted cats, I assumed they'd all been moved on but maybe just the ones inside. Next to that is the port hole area with the Slow Loris

10. Dassie rat

Thanks Spike 241

I didn't see anything through the portholes. There were problems in some areas as some animals were reflected in the opposite enclosures.

11. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that this is 'Kopi', the young Sumatran banded civet born earlier this year. He's only been on display for a few days and was quite timid when I visited.

I'm pretty sure the labelled dorcopsis is still a dusky pademelon - that white stripe seems to have caused a lot of confusion! There are plenty of photos in the gallery if anyone is hoping to challenge the ID.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be accurate, the species of civet which is used in the manufacture of coffee is the common palm civet; Owston's Palm Civet - along with Sumatran Banded Civet, which is what I suspect the animal within the enclosure is - is primarily vermivorous and does not eat coffee beans :)

13. Dassie rat

I still reckon the wallaby was a dorcopsis. I have looked through Volume 5 of the 'Lynx Handbook of mammals of the World'. Plate 36 shows dorcopsis wallabies and Plate 37 shows pademelons. I think the animal is a white-striped forest wallaby (Dorcopsis hageni), which is very variable in coloration and not D. muelleri.

14. spike241

You're definitely right about the civet. He has been brought out a few times previously (I've posted some photos in the gallery) so he's not completely new to being on show.

I also think you're right about the pademelon. There's a photo on their website and other photos I've found look like the one on show.
    Dusky Pademelon | Rare Species Conservation Centre

15. Dassie rat

I agree that the wallaby I saw yesterday is the same one identified as a dusky pademelon on the RSCC website; unfortunately this is a mistake. I have been to various zoos where animals have been misidentified. At least one zoo shows pictures of three-toed sloths on maps, guide books etc, even though the zoo has two-toed sloths. I suppose most zoo visitors have not heard of pademelons or Dorcopsis wallabies and wouldn't know if the animals were mislabelled. Years ago, I saw lots of visitors saying how cute the elephant shrews were; the enclosure contained a lot of house mice.

16. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there about three weeks ago and was said by a keeper that is really Dusky Pademelon. About two months ago I visited Prague Zoo where Dorcopsis hageni have been kept and they look like quite different to the specimen being kept in RSCC. I am too pretty sure with Dusky Pademelon.

17. Dassie rat

Hello Jakub

I went to Plzen Zoo and the dusky pademelon looked very different to the wallaby I saw yesterday. I also saw a Dorcopsis wallaby at Taronga and this looked more similar to the wallaby I saw yesterday.

I think we agree that the wallaby is not Dorcopsis muelleri.

18. Jakub

Hello Dassie rat,

I am a regular visitor in Plzen Zoo and the animals being kept there seem to me almost the same as the animal in RSCC. There is a bit confusion to tell apart Dorcopsis genus. In Prague Zoo firstly the animals that came from Indonesia were identified as Dorcopsis muelleri later they got a new stock and after a chat with mammals curator Pavel Brandl the animals were re-identified as Dorcopsis hageni.

19. Dassie rat

Hello Jakub

Thanks for the information. I wonder what I saw in Plzen Zoo, as it looked browner than the wallaby I saw yesterday. The illustrations in Handbook of Mammals also show a dusky pademelon that doesn't look like the animal I saw yesterday. It's a pity that some of the animals were mislabelled, as it doesn't cost much to print and laminate A4 posters to say the name of the animal or to say that the enclosure was empty. I wonder how long people looked for Cuban flamingoes.

20. Jakub

I have to agree with your last point. It was a fantastic place and never forget to see some off show areas with its rarities but the labelling was really wrong. There was a sign referring to Owston's Palm Civet but this species has not been kept for a long time..but I feel sadness in my heart though it was my first and only visit the staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the owner was a good chap and I was pleased to have a short talk with him. Really a big loss for all zoochatters.