Join our zoo community

Russian dwarf hamster worry

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Standpitpony, 17 Dec 2011.

1. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

I own a male russian dwarf hamster who is aproximately one years old.Very recently I have noticed a change inhis behaviour which includes him spinning,tumbling and him becoming constantly hyper.

Is this some form of a disease,illness or internal injury?I have not found any change in his eating habits but he seems thinner.Any suggestions?

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I also had 2 of these little blighters when I was young, 1 of which had increasingly erratic behaviour similar to what you describe in yours. Stupid as it sounds now I thought he was suffering from some sort of hamster dementia as he would bounce around the cage for a bit then suddenly completely loose focus and wander around aimlessly for a bit.
    He lived for about 18 months after "losing the plot" so to speak, which was quite an achievment for 1 of these little blighters. And he always seemed healthy enough in himself. I know it's not much help but if I were you then I wouldn't be too concerned, they're resilient little buggers to say the least! :)

3. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Thanks!I've been searching the internet madlytrying to track down a animal behaviourist!You've saved me around two hours of work.:)

Any more suggestions?

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not really, we just let ours go on as normal, I never dreamed of putting my fingers in the cage when he was having an "episode". I quite liked not bleeding from the hand and they're quite aggressive at the best of times anyway. (Well at least for hamsters).