Join our zoo community

Sacramento Zoo Sacramento Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 14 Nov 2012.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They'll probably campaign for the animals to go to sanctuaries, which still wouldn't be the best idea since, to my knowledge, there aren't any sanctuaries in the U.S. that can properly house a good chunk of the species in the Sacramento Zoo's collection.

Loxodonta Cobra and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by the idea -- and no way against it -- but I was kind of hoping the zoo would refocus itself away from megafauna into medium and small animals. There's a real opportunity to be had there.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. DevinL

DevinL Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The concept images for a relocated Sacramento Zoo look very exciting, but I wish they had explored renovations at the existing site more compellingly.

The Biodiversity Center was planned to be the first major project of the 2017 Master Plan. Small animal exhibits can be great, but they can look underwhelming in concept images. Images of animals are a major selling feature of zoo exhibits. Only one of the three concept images for the Biodiversity Center has an image of animals (Biodiversity Center | Sacramento Zoo - Sacramento, CA). I can make out an image of some fish in the last image and there might be a black snake resting on some branches too. The description of the exhibit mentions a variety of small animals, but no specific kinds. If you presented the concept images to most people without context they might have a hard time recognizing them as zoo exhibits. Many small animals displayed in zoos are strikingly beautiful. An image of a California mountain kingsnake, for example, could get people excited for the Biodiversity Center and give them an impression of the types of animals to expect there.

Space is certainly limited at the existing San Francisco Zoo site, but they could make creative use of vertical space. Forest, mountain, and ocean exhibits could house climbing and swimming animals. Instead of the horizontally focused proposed African Savanna (in the 2017 Master Plan) they could have a multi-level rainforest exhibit for orangutans and Malayan tapirs.

The biggest constraint of the existing Sacramento Zoo site is the lack of dedicated parking. It puts severe limits on the growth of the Zoo. An underground parking structure would be very expensive. If such a structure was built the surrounding neighborhoods might complain about increased traffic.

It might be best for the Sacramento Zoo to move, but before doing that they should more creatively present and explore uses of the existing zoo site.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today, and several things of note.

Okapi exhibit was farther along than I expected, considering it was relatively recently they announced it.

Snow Leopard cub Coconut was out and active most of the afternoon.
    Despite her recent escape, Taylor Swift the Bongo was on exhibit.

Crested Guineafowl still listed on the site, but nowhere to be seen.
    Male Knobbed Hornbill moved to the former King Vulture exhibit, but what happened to the female?
    Red-billed Hornbill was placing mud around the hole to a nest box, by all appearances the female is already inside.

For the first time in quite awhile the reptile house had some notable discrepancies in animals on display versus the site. Green Basilisk was present, but not on the site. No sign of Hamilton's Pond Turtle, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Madagascar Tree Boa, or Madagascar Rain Frog, though all are listed on the site. Could not find the Green Tree Python anywhere in its terrarium, either was out all afternoon or also gone.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great Argus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Hipporex

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. Hipporex

My friend who volunteers at the zoo (that's right, I got a person on the inside) said the two African hedgehogs will now longer be used in shows as they both appear to have cancer and the zoo wants to let them live out there final days in comfort.

Great Argus likes this.
  11. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Rori, the Wolf’s guenon has passed away due to some sort of lung issue.

12. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Hipporex

I have reason to believe the zoo got rid of its male Knobbed Hornbill. I haven't been to the zoo recently but it was removed from the website and the zoo's website is usually kept up to date in terms of what they do and don't have in stock. However I will be going soon so I'll be able to confirm or deny this claim. I wonder what'll go in the now empty aviary? Hopefully a small bird (I'm not a fan of large birds in sub-par cages). Maybe they could move the new Hawk-headed parrot there? It'd be an upgrade from the semi-sad aviary it's in now by the giraffes.

14. Great Argus

It's probable. That aviary has never been very good for holding anything in my opinion. Too dark and confined, especially for the species they've had in there. (Bateleur, King Vulture, Knobbed Hornbill)

Hipporex and StoppableSan like this.
  15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Those aviaries were all removed to make way for the new okapi exhibit. My understanding is that all of the hornbills other than the ground hornbills were sent to other zoos.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Hipporex

We're referring to an aviary next to the jaguars. The aviary we're talking about is still standing.

17. Great Argus

Was on their website just now and Bobcat is no longer listed in ambassador animals. Anyone know anything regarding this? Couldn't find anything in their zoo news. He was older if I recall correctly.

18. Hipporex

I'll ask my friend next time I see her.

Also, Sasha and Tikal, the jaguars, will be temporarily off exhibit so the keepers can improve their habitat: Jaguars Temporarily Off Exhibit for Habitat Enhancements - Sacramento Zoo
    It seems like the zoo's newer Director Jason Jacobs is going full steam-ahead on changing up the zoo

Great Argus likes this.
  19. Great Argus

I saw that. It appears the coati will be off-exhibit during renovations as well.

Also, according to the news email I got this afternoon the zoo is starting some behind-the-scenes tours, including options for at least african hoofstock, birds, ground hornbills, and the reptile house.

Hipporex likes this.
  20. Hipporex

Now that would be interesting.

StoppableSan likes this.