Join our zoo community

Sacramento Zoo Sacramento Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 14 Nov 2012.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo just announced on their Instagram the okapi exhibit opens February 15th.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2019
    StoppableSan and Great Argus like this.
  3. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was thinking, with regards to the Zoo's possible relocation, why not have two locations like Poznan, Bristol and Emmen? (The old Dierenpark Emmen with the Playa Pïnguinos exhibit.) The Kings Stadium location could feature charismatic megafauna (giraffes, hippos, gorillas, tigers, *maybe elephants* etc.) while the Land Park location could feature smaller, yet still charismatic animals (otters, red pandas, bats, clouded leopards, tapir, orangutan, gharial, etc.) That way, those who reside in the neighborhood will still have their zoo and also have the larger location for their favorite animals. (With regards to Bristol, they still have charismatic animals like lions, gorillas, seals, etc. That'd be the selling point for the Land Park Sacramento Zoo).

Hipporex likes this.
  4. Hipporex

I've honestly thought of the exact same thing. It could be like how there is the San Diego Zoo and then, on a much larger scale, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, however it unfortunately seems like this won't be happening as whenever he talks of the move the zoo's director says that the city will decide with what they want to do with the land.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

What kind of African hoofstock will come to Sacramento Zoo?

6. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Short term, okapi.

Long term, the zoo is considering moving to a new location, assuming that gets approved. The concept art I have seen included okapi in an African forest, an African savanna with giraffes, rhinos, and antelope. In fact, the plan includes TWO African savannas, one drive through. Whether these savannas will be connected, or whether they will each have their own unique collections of species is something I don't know. Personally speaking, I'd prefer if both savanna areas had their own mixes of animals.

The master plan also has a large hippopotamus habitat as a major part of it, which would be a returning artiodactyl to the zoo. The zoo had hippos when I was last there in 2001, but along with tigers and some other large animals, those are a species the zoo no longer has.

That said, what new hoofstock will be in the African savannas or possibly the new African forest area will depend on availability, TAG recommendations, and so on. Also, master plans are general templates and not final. Even if they move to a new location, they can always change aspects of the master plan.

7. Great Argus

Okapi should stay for the long term I expect, which will be nice after the short term holdings of Yellow-backed Duikers and Sitatunga.

Anniella likes this.
  8. Hipporex

Wait did the sitatunga ever actually make it to the zoo? I know the sign said they'd eventually come but I don't recall ever actually seeing them.

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interestingly this scenario was imagined very vaguely in the 1988 master plan.

Other than the jaguar and (then small cat) exhibits and the big lake with flamingos and waterfowl, almost none of that plan was realized.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see the okapi going away, whether they move to a new site or not.

I suppose, if they go with a new site, that there could be yellow-backed duiker and sitatunga in one of the new African-themed areas.

I can see the merits of both staying in their current location and moving to a larger campus...but I would lean toward the likelihood that they move, because of the parking and lack of room to expand at their current location, and because they're the zoo that's in the capital of the biggest state, population-wise, in the country. And I think that fairly recent master plan at their current location with the biodiversity center, wild dogs, tapirs, etc., was fairly decent overall, but I thought having a mixed species savanna in an area within the current zoo was borderline stretching things a little bit, so if they want mixed species savannas with African megafauna, gorillas, and hippos in addition to their current animal habitats, then it would be better if they moved.

I just hope that, if they move, they still keep some elements of the current zoo or the master plan for the current site, so a new reptile house and some of the smaller and medium-sized species that currently call the zoo home.

Great Argus and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Great Argus

Yes indeed, one male actually was on exhibit at one point for I don't know how long. I saw and photographed him once.

Hipporex likes this.
  12. Hipporex

Huh interesting.

13. Great Argus

He was only on exhibit for a very short period of time I believe. Why so short I don't ever recall hearing.

14. Hipporex

I visited the zoo today and here are a couple things:
    • The okapi exhibit is open and really nice. (Mo the okapi | ZooChat) Speaking of which, I found out that Mo is 6 years old and was born at the Disney's Animal Kingdom, moved to the Denver Zoo, and now lives here. Forest was born at the Denver Zoo less than two years ago but now lives here.
    • The mongoose lemurs now live in the former bat exhibit (Mongoose lemur exhibit | ZooChat)
    • Those three old, small exhibits that use to contains the mongoose lemurs: two are empty but one contains greater roadrunners.
    • The hawk-headed parrot's exhibit is now covered by some sort of panneling. I assume it's for the wind? It makes viewing the bird harder but if it makes it better for the bird then who cares. (Bert the hawk-headed parrot's exhibit | ZooChat)
    • This is what the new playground looks like. (New playground | ZooChat)
    • The zoo has yet to move forward on turning the tiger exhibit into part of the lion exhibit.
    • The jaguar exhibit construction continues and due to it that little corner area where the coati is is now closed off.
    • The yellow-billed magpie is off exhibit.
    • There was only one tawny frogmouth (I could of sworn there were two)
    • The climbing wall has been moved over to by to the carousel (it was originally on the Reptile House Lawn).
    • Speaking of the Reptile House Lawn, it is now fenced off and no one is allowed to walk on it.
    • As @Great Argus said a little bit ago, "For the first time in quite awhile the reptile house had some notable discrepancies in animals on display..." The Madagascar rain frog is no where to be seen, but it is now also off the website. The exhibit you first see when you enter is empty. The Chinese crocodile lizard's exhibit is being renovated as is just a foam facade right now. The exhibit that contained the blue tree monitor now contains a Guatemalan spiny-tailed iguana and smokey jungle frog. Another exhibit that is blacked out said that it was the new blue tree monitor exhibit. A few other exhibit were blacked out. Amazon milk frog now live with the aquatic caecilian. There are two exhibits labeled prehensile-tailed skink but only one had a lizard in it. There were two exhibits labeled gopher snake and both were no shows. No sign of Hamilton's pond turtle, green tree python Brazilian rainbow boa, or Madagascar tree boa even though all are listed on the site. Also I found out that those big pictures of replies and amphibians on the wall cover up unused exhibits (I pulled them up and took a peek). I estimate in total the reptile house has 10 to 15 additional exhibits it isn't currently using (some are those really tiny exhibits, other are the normal sized ones).

Anteaterman and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Did the bats get phased out or are they in a new enclosure?

16. Hipporex

Most of the colony was phased out with the exception of four that now live behind the scenes and are being trained as animal ambassadors.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The exhibit was sub-optimal for the bats. They would just hang out in the back where you could barely see them. The keeper demonstration was great because they weighed them and lured them on to the scale with a banana so you could see them close up.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the clarification @Hipporex and @DavidBrown. I saw photos of the enclosure back when it held bats, and it certainly did a poor job of showcasing them. Somewhat of a shame to lose them, though.

Hipporex and StoppableSan like this.
  19. Great Argus

Good to hear it's nice. Couldn't quite tell from your photo, does the viewing platform elevate you much?

This isn't really new, they were there at least from last October.

According to @Anteaterman, these birds are probably youngsters.

By appearances, I think you're right. It has been colder than usual this year, so that added protection isn't too surprising.

Could very well have passed away, the birds they had were old.

There were at one point, you're not wrong in that. ;)

Now this is interesting. When I visited in October, the Guatemalan spiny-tail iguana was in the first exhibit. I forget what was in the old Blue Tree Monitor enclosure, but the monitor was in a small one, not off display. The milk frogs were living with the caecilian at that point too. Green Tree Python, rainbow boa, and Madagascar Tree Boa are all long gone I think. I'm not surprised to hear that many exhibits are empty, they seem to be shifting around and phasing out a lot of their reptiles/amphibians. Rhinoceros Iguana, Taylor's Cantil, Fiji Banded Iguana still present?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Hipporex

No not really
    I know, but since no one has yet to post a picture of it, I thought I'd bring it up
    Indeed. A sign was placed up stating so.
    Nice to hear I'm not going crazy.
    I made a species made a species list here: Sacramento Zoo - Home-Made Map of Sacramento Zoo's Reptile House The Rhinoceros Iguana and Fiji Banded Iguana were thankfully still present but the Taylor's Cantil was nowhere to be seen. Also if the zoo still has Pacific gopher snakes, both were off exhibit. Hamilton's pond turtles appear to be gone too.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2019
    Kifaru Bwana and Great Argus like this.