Join our zoo community

Sacramento Zoo Sacramento Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 14 Nov 2012.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After visiting today, I believe there is only one white pelican on exhibit. Aggressive too. Definitely king of the pond, no other birds within 8 feet of the pelican that I ever saw. Was haranguing guests through the fence in the morning as well.

Reptile notes: I think the Green Tree Python is gone. Spent a couple minutes carefully searching the enclosure twice, all I saw was a fat White's Tree Frog. Didn't find the python last time either. Have you had any luck recently @Hipporex ?
    Also Blue Poison Dart Frogs are also apparently gone. Still signed, but saw a keeper feed the frogs, and nearly 10 Orange & Blacks appeared quickly, but not a single Blue. Didn't see any last time either.

Saw him finally, a curled up ball in his tunnel. :p

Other notes:

There was an egg in the water in the flamingo nesting area, being semi-guarded by a pair. Looked like a legitimate egg to me, but I doubt it'll get anywhere.

A White-faced Whistling Duck pair is nesting over by the little maintenance pen near where the King Vulture cage used to be. The bird on the nest hissed at me at one point.

Roadrunners are off exhibit entirely.

Chinese Stripe-necked Turtles are off exhibit.

Did not see the Wolf's Guenon baby.

Red-billed Hornbills are breeding I believe. Ground Hornbills were showing signs of interest as well.

Fairytale Town has a male Eclectus Parrot on display right next to the perimeter fence near the parking lot. Could this be Sac Zoo's Robbie? (Robbie was in the 1:30 animal show, so if it is, they move him back and forth which seems unlikely. However, the cage is a black wire rotunda typical of Sac's small birds and the dishes are also identical. Can't imagine why Fairytale Town would have an Eclectus, or why Sac would put one of their education animals on display over there. The cage was certainly not there any previous time I've been to Sac Zoo. Not sure what to think there.)

Pictures will probably be uploaded tomorrow, tired tonight! :p

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't seen that species in the last two (maybe three?) visits either.
    I haven't seen them in a while either, which is why I didn't include them on my home-made reptile house map.
    I got the exact opposite impression, it looked very fake to me, but them again what do I know?
    I saw this too and I hypothesized the exact same thing. I suggested it to the person I was with but she said she thought it was unlikely as the two facilities have no affiliation with each other other than being really close. Not only that but when I saw the parrot, there was two: a green one and a red one, and doesn't the zoo only have one? Honestly I don't know.

It's also good to hear you finally saw the coati. I have yet to see him in the walkway.

Also I look forward to your pictures as they're always of good quality.

Great Argus and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Great Argus

Huh, I only saw a green male, didn't see a female. And yes, the zoo only has a male. I might ask the zoo next time I'm there.

Saw a ball of brown fur, but counts in the long run! :p

Thanks! Will be working on uploading pics this afternoon!

Hipporex likes this.
  4. Great Argus

Some updates:

Burrowing Owl/Yellow-billed Magpie duo cage is now torn down. Apparently they will no longer exhibit either.

No flamingo chicks this year.

Unknown if roadrunners are back on exhibit.

The sloth is not a myth! He came out in full view for a special behind the scenes tour, remarkable how such a large animal remains invisible in that relatively small exhibit. Only my second time seeing him in at least 20 visits, despite scouring the exhibit every time.

Fun fact: Cameron the Bateleur is 30 years old, will be 31 in November.

Reptile House

- Crocodile Lizard exhibit is still under construction.

- Very first exhibit with rainforest background is still under construction.

- Sidewinder still off exhibit, but exhibit is thus far untouched.

- Blue Poison Dart Frog and Green Tree Python both signed, but unseen last 3 visits in a row so guessing gone.

- Blue Tree Monitor is pretty certainly gone.

Overall their species count is dwindling, wondering if they're phasing out some smaller species as they look towards a move.

Kifaru Bwana and Hipporex like this.
  5. Hipporex

Yellow-billed magpie exhibit makes sense but I wonder what happened to the burrowing owls.
    Indeed that is one good hider. I've only ever seen him twice ever.

6. Great Argus

Moved to another zoo probably. Burrowing Owls are in high demand in zoos. Surprised they would ship out their pair though, they were reliable breeders who routinely raised several chicks.

Been marveling over that myself. There's visits I can scour the exhibits 2-3 times and never see so much as a claw... Today was the first time I've ever seen their sloth awake, let alone active.

7. Great Argus

Forgot to mention that it seems a T-rex statue is in the works to replace the old owl/magpie exhibits. There was a small sign stating something to that effect. Personally I don't like the idea, few people go back there as it is nor would such an addition fit the area at all. A colony of weavers or bee-eaters would be my preference.

8. Hipporex

Even as a dinosaur fan, I agree I'd much rather see live animals at a zoo. Be that as it may, if they are going to do this, I hope the T. rex statue is scientifically accurate, like this, ...
    [​IMG]
    ... and not like this
    [​IMG]
    (Saurian video game T. rex Tyrannosaurus Redesign 2018)
    (Utah's Hogle Zoo inaccurate T. rex Dinosaurs at Hogle Zoo)

Great Argus and Hammy like this.
  9. Great Argus

I can't imagine theirs will be particularly big, given the space they have chosen to work with.

Hipporex likes this.
  10. Hipporex

The red panda cub is a boy and has been named Gizmo (after the character from the Gremlins movie). At his week 6 weigh-in he weighed a healthy 661 grams (1.46 pounds).

The wolf guenon baby is a boy. The zoo is holding a naming poll on their Instagram to determine his name. Options are Ollie, Billie, or Louie.

Also, as I've already mentioned elsewhere on Zoochat, I got accepted into the zoo's teen volunteer program which I indicated I had interviewed for a while back.

Great Argus and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Great Argus

Fingers crossed this panda cub makes it.

So you now work at both Six Flags and Sac Zoo?

12. Hipporex

Agreed.
    Yes. Once school starts, I'll be doing two weekends at each place each month. If it weren't already obvious my long term goal is to become a zookeeper so I'm currently trying to get as much experience and make as many connections as I possibly can.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2019
    Great Argus likes this.
  13. Hipporex

The guenon was named Ollie.

14. Hipporex

Caribbean flamingos chick just announced. Beyond the fact it was hatched in July no information has been given.

15. Great Argus

Interesting, they must have pulled the egg for artificial incubation early on. I can 100% confirm that as on July 28th there were no eggs on the mudstacks. The only one I saw at the end of June was the one floating in the water with no clue whether real or dummy.

16. Hipporex

Sacramento Zoo is not just getting a Tyrannosaurus but several other Mesozoic reptiles as well. From September 22 to January 5 Sacramento Zoo will be hosting "Discover the Dinosaurs." 6 genera are to be included: Ankylosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Pteranodon (not actually a dinosaur), Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Tyrannosaurus. I've already noticed several inaccurate facts on the webpage and based on the promo art I doubt we'll be seeing accurate reconstructions.
    Source: Discover the Dinosaurs | Sacramento Zoo - Sacramento, CA

In case you were wondering though, if they were accurate, this is what they should look like...
    Ankylosaurus magniventris
    [​IMG]

(Source: Ankylosaurus)

Parasaurolophus walkeri
    [​IMG]

(Source: https://prehistorickingdom.com/blog/2018/05/31/devlog-5-may-2018/)

Pteranodon longiceps
    [​IMG]
    (Source: gabrielugueto | paleoart)

Stegosaurus stenops
    [​IMG]
    (Souce: [OC] A Stegosaurus for your Wednesday. : Dinosaurs)

Triceratops horridus
    [​IMG]

(Souce: Triceratops horridus)

Tyrannosaurus rex
    [​IMG]
    (Source: Tyrannosaurus Redesign 2018 — Saurian)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2019
  17. Great Argus

I don't know where they're going to put these... o_O

18. Hipporex

Val, a 24-year-old reticulated giraffe, was found deceased in her stall this morning. Thus the zoo is closed for today.

19. Great Argus

Sad... probably closed so they're able to move her without the public seeing?

20. Great Argus