Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Sad news from London Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Londonboy, 26 Mar 2010.

1. zebedee101

zebedee101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was an article about his demise in the ZSL members newsletter a couple of weeks after the death, so I dont think its quite a conspiracy. Given that newspaper columns and airtime are also given over to anti-zoo protestors when something as tragic as this happens I can understand why they wouldn't publicise it, as it was in the newspapers it was probably as a result of a press release. There is also only a very small number of the population that would be interested in the cause of death. Given ZSL is a business I can understand why they wouldn't advertise the death on internet pages designed principally as a marketing tool! Has anybody tried contacting ZSL for further info?

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I think it's worth noting that ZSL's website has hardly any news on it at all apart from some cheesy press releases. Very little is announced on there and on the whole I would argue that they have a rather weak web presence in general. It's quite a contrast to some other websites and blogs. for example Edinburgh.

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ZSL is not a business. It is a charity, one of whose objects is education. It is deplorable that it cannot announce bad news in an honest and sensible manner. As several people have pointed out in other threads, Colchester Zoo - which is a business, sets a first class example in such matters.

Alan

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe after losing two males in such a short time they may think it could look bad for them?

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, but this is not a secret - it has been in the newspapers. Some people might think they were trying to hide the bad news, which looks even worse. Perhaps they are waiting until they are absolutely sure of the cause of death, or until another male arrives, but I am very disappointed; ZSL should set the standard for other zoos.

Alan

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I agree with you Alan ZSL should be set the standard for other UK zoos as they are the National zoo of the UK

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Different zoos do use their websites in different ways obviously. Colchester for example put all their news, good and bad, through it.

London's website is mainly (as mentioned above) an 'upbeat' marketing tool for what there is to see at the Zoo. So, as Yeboah is no longer there, even this important loss doesn't get a mention. As Mark suggested, two males dying within just over a year is probably a cause for embarassment too - I am certainly not suggesting his death was anything but an untimely/unlucky event, but the visiting public might not see it that way- which I think is maybe the underlying reason for its omission.

So I think we may have to look elsewhere to find the PM results too.

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  8. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

There's been no more on news whether Mjukuu is pregnant or not either, surely they would have said by now if she was?

9. Pertinax

That doesn't surprise me and they are quite likely to keep it quiet if she is- a lot of places don't advertise pregnancies in case they fail.

10. Gavin123

Gavin123 Well-Known Member

Indeed, alot of places dont announce anything until the animals are a couple of months old. so it comes an no great surprise really.

11. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

Yeboah passed away 2 days before the new opening of the Clore. London Zoo spent alot of money on advertising in the news papers and the Underground. Releasing negative press releases just before a big new launch which was designed to attract large visitor numbers is not a great business model so I can see why ZSL swept the news under the carpet.

12. procyonlotor

procyonlotor Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been kept hush as a means of keeping visitors, and yes, it's wrong, however it's not a secret. If anyone asks, they are told the truth and a couple of the newspapers did report it.

Post mortem results are still not conclusive but there are fears it could be sex linked. This also relates to why Jookie's pregnancy is being kept so hush (yes, she is still pregnant). There are fears that if/when she gives birth that all may not go according to plan.

I do think we should follow Colchester's example and be up front about things, like with the whole okapi business, but the powers that be are worried that without decent footfall, we won't have the money to continue with the works in the aquarium, or finally sort out the big cats. Selfish, yes, but given what happened in the 1990's you can semi-understand what they're thinking.

13. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

The last tapir and okapi births were not given any mention on the Website either, so I don't necessarily think its a case of ZSL always sweeping bad news under the carpet and always talking up the good (although in the above two cases there was of course an element of risk that the young animals would not survive).

14. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Actually that's a good point don't know why I didn't think that - rather stupid of me!

This sad story seems to be getting sadder then? I feel very sorry for the keepers. I am actually, finally going to London zoo this week. It's been too long.

15. Wigwam

Wigwam Member

Never had a newsletter containing any info about Yeboah. As for asking ZSL, I did get in touch with them a couple of times (in person & via e-mail) when Bobby passed away, & heard nothing back.

16. Shirokuma

They aren't great at replying to anything in my experience.

17. Pertinax

You've confirmed what I thought basically. Though it isn't the ideal I can also see why they have done this..;)

Can you elaborate at all on the COD being 'sex-linked' comment?

18. procyonlotor

It was pretty hard on the Gorilla keepers. In the most recent staff newsletter there was a piece on Yeboah and the events leading up to his death but his senior keeper. They found out about Jookie's pregnancy a short while before his demise and so it's been hard going from such a proud moment to, well, this.

Afraid I can't comment on the sex-linked stuff as I don't know anymore. It's not something that we talk about, and no one is going to know anymore until the final results are through (though I can't help but question exactly how long it takes to do a post mortem on a gorilla, but there we go). With a bit of luck it'll be shown to be wrong.

19. Shirokuma

Thank you for sharing this information. I actually find it quite depressing to visit the gorillas at the moment and have stopped going by their enclosure.

20. procyonlotor

Me too, although Effie has regained her place as the matriarch and they seem to have adjusted rather well. It didn't take her long to reassert her authority.