Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Sad News from Twycross again

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 7 Feb 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Purely for the record, he was only a relatively young male which replaced the previous(also young) one 'Zoolu' which came from Paignton and then also died, in what circumstances I don't know.

2. Pertinax

The Malayan Tapir afaik was sick and as mentioned somewhere on here, was actually destined to go to another zoo, so if it was PTS it would likely have been a genuine case rather than merely convenience.

The Brazilian tapir adults I don't know the circumstances of their deaths but they kept the calf indicating they didn't disappear because they no longer wanted to keep the species any more.

The Wildcats- elderly(?) but yes, possibly convenience played a part.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoolu was put down for medical reasons (something to do with his hip?)

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's partly why I said maybe, i had a feeling that might be the response!

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This message has been deleted by Nisha. Reason: Not relevant to this thread

This message has been deleted by Nisha. Reason: Refers to deleted post (x4)

Any chance of an explanation for this deletion? I saw the post and considered it at least tangentially related to this thread and, in my opinion, of some relevance.

I can appreciate moderators being a little over-antsy, given the topic of the thread, but don't think the postings I saw (briefly) were irrelevant or problematic, in fact I think they expanded the debate into a wider discussion/context.

I'd appreciate an explanation (PM me if you prefer). I accept that there must be moderators on this/any forum but they must be prepared to be held to account and explain their decisions if queried (which I trust you will do:)).

PS. For the clarity of any persons reading this, none of the deleted postings were my own (i.e. no sour grapes :))

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the feedback - relevant posts have now been moved to the Copenhagen thread

7. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I thought the deleted posts were pretty relevant cosidering yet another Twycross bashing by members.

From what I can see and know there was nothing wrong with the zoo's decisons on euthanising the the aforementioned species. It is common practise when dealing with elderly animals that are suffering but because it is Twycross several members jump on the band wagon.

It is clear that the management at Twycross are trying to turn the zoo around from it's economical problems, a fate several other zoos are in also. Why don't we all stop picking holes in them and try and be a bit more positive.

8. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sad news indeed. I suspect my views will not be shared by everyone here, but I personally hate to see zoos and other institutions 'playing God' and deciding to euthanise animals for non-medical reasons (I think the medical reasons are often exaggerated, but that's a whole other debate!). I do believe that zoos should see animals as a life-long commitment, and it saddens me to see anything that suggests they are seen as a disposable object to be got rid of once it has served its purpose.

Twycross do seem to be repeat offenders here, and the fact that so many animals have been put down in pairs looks rather suss. Add in the fact that it often seems to be followed by new exhibits utilising the space they leave, and it leaves me for one with a rather nasty taste in the mouth.

The wildcat enclosure is being used for the yellow throated martens now, isn't it? I know the old sealion pool has been refurbished for the new coati & bush dog exhibit, but what's replaced the camels and giraffes? As you can tell I haven't been to Twycross for a while, and reading things like this doesn't exactly encourage me to hurry back!

9. Pertinax

I believe Zebras are on the cards but may not be there yet, I don't know.

I agree with Al's post above in that the current management have taken noticeable steps forward to improve and modernise things at Twycross with the changes for the Chimpanzees, the smaller 'cosmetic' alterations with the Penguins, the outdoor DeBrazza enclosure , marmosets and walkthrough Lemurs. Though personally I would have kept the Giraffes and the Sealions (replacing the Patagonians that were euthanased perhaps with smaller Fur Seals that would have been more suitable for the enclosure size) as I feel they would be a better draw for people than the species that have or are to replace them.

There's still a lot to do though....:)

10. hippophilic

hippophilic Member

the sealions weren't entirely suitable for their exhibit due to their size but also because of the way they were fed. visitors were known to and seen throwing pebbles from the paths into the water which the sealions mistook for food being thrown in and swallowed them. both animals had various health issues and stomachs full of pebbles when they were eventually pts.
    so surely the same might occur if they had replaced the sea lions?

On a side note, isnt it better to end a life before it becomes to unbearable due to illness? Or to 'cull' a few to improve the lives of the majority? Just my opinion though, its obviously better to manage breeding groups to prevent this becoming an issue

11. Pertinax

So modify the enclosure a bit to overcome this specific problem- put a glass wall around like all their Ape Houses. Or remove the pebble pathways just in that immediate area and replace with concrete- there's always a way around these things.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The TWZ is still a long way from being out of the woods and the financial situation is still precarious despite the place obviously being a popular local visitors' haunt.

Me along with an array of other respected posters have been critical of TWZ and fairly so for a considerable time (I am sure for all the good reasons as most of us really do like the place despite its obvious shortcomings - mainly outdated exhibitry, unsound previous financial / zoo management and basically riding on past achievements).

I agree with Al and Pertinax that TWZ is currently trying to ride a very tight current on a storm that has yet to wane (not unlike some of the climate induced weather patterns and unseasonal hurricanes we have had to experience of late) and seems to be making slow headway in getting back the zoo on track!

Whereas losing some iconic species (sealions, camels and giraffe) was unfortunate, in the case of the sealion pool I do find they have found some nice replacements - coati and bush dog (particular in the latter's case as they are often … undeservedly so … as being deemed an unattractive zoo exhibit animal). Some of the primate areas have been updated (DeBrazza's, spider monkeys ..) and to some good effect. It is certainly not world class (and that is where the current lack of cash-flow / funding comes in ..), but at least they are improvements. And a more positive management team seems to be taking shape ..!!!

Now the only thing I would like to know now is what vision the zoo sees for the future. Obviously that ill-fated document that had gone before is somewhat of a laughing stock to most! LOL. I would like to see the TWZ unveiling its vision of what the zoo will look like in .. say 5, 10 and 25 years.
    Come on lads and lasses, … let us hear it!

13. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

"COME ON LADS AND LASSES, LET US HEAR IT", hear what?

14. Pertinax

A Vision Statement for the Zoo. Except I doubt they have one at present due to their finances- just the intention of improving things wherever and when they can.