Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Sad News :(

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by fire&ice, 25 Jan 2010.

Tags:
  1. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

Were adopters of Dudleys big cats in our household. Today we received a letter from the zoo informing us that Tangra the female snow leopard has passed away :(

They tried introducing her to Wutai again last Friday, and she received injuries that resulted in her death x

2. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

aww this is sad news

3. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

Its extremly sad, although not too surprising if you ever saw them fight on one of the few occasions they were together. Its unfortunate to have happened before they could be separated to new homes :(

4. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I was visiting the zoo on the 19th and was told about her death on the 15th, the vet was at the zoo parked at the side of the Snow Leopards enclosure he was there to check on the male.
    I was told they are unsure what they are going to do with the male as they have to wait for the stud book holder to say, but were hoping to bring in another female sometime.
    Tangra will be sadly missed by all the regulars at the zoo.

5. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

I hope they do get in a female for him, although i guess he's happy to be able to roam about the enclosure freely for a change!

6. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Going up this Friday 29th try and find out more if I can and will be great to see him out and roaming about and not couped up in the holding enclosure
    Still sad news though

7. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

I need to go up at some point within the next week or so to see Sarah, with the weather being so cold iv stayed away . . . even missed some brilliant photo opportunities in the snow! Roll on summer!

8. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Aww awful news must be awful for the keepers when this sort of thing happens! Don't suppose its the animals fault if they don't get on with the mate chosen for them!

9. Kwame

Kwame Well-Known Member

In the week we are celebrating the arrival of a new breeding pair of Snow Leopards at Marwell Wildlife it is very sad to here of the death of a Snow Leopard especially in the circumstances it happened.

I guess it goes to show these are wild animals and can still be unpredictable.