Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park Safari Zoo 2017 news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Jan 2017.

1. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

even so thats horrific ! , the whole blame surely cant all lie at the feet of david gill ?

Farmer likes this.
  2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Why not he is the owner and director of the zoo,so he is in charge so to me yes the buck does stop with him!

ian999 and pipaluk like this.
  3. simon lloyd

so all of the staff are completely blameless ? i dont go along with that theory !

Farmer likes this.
  4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yeah, we got that message a long time ago, Simon. And if you don't mind me saying, I think you are a little naïve. Given your closed mindedness, I don't think your spectrum of life experiences is at all broad.

I've personally experienced situations where a founder of a business, with a steak of the control freak in them, has assembled a management team purely to tick the right boxes and made it quite clear that any attempt to assert an alternative viewpoint would jeopardise any prospective long-term employment.

In the South Lakes scenario, we'll never know how much influence the rest of the management team actually had. For all we know, the efforts of the rest of the staff might have limited the death toll to 500...

6. zoogiraffe

I didn't ask you to but then I live in the real world not what the world should be if everything was perfect!!

But then how many of Gill staff have history of leaving animals to die?To save you the bother of having to search none do but Gill does!!As he has done it in Australia!!

Last edited: 23 Mar 2017
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where does it go from here?

1. Potential closure after 28 days from licence refusal, unless he has appealed -which presumably he has,(even if its a given he won't get it) in order to give the 'new' company(Cumbria Zoo) further time in their own application.

2. Outcome of another Zoo Inspection, reported on here as having already taken place a week ago.

3. Fresh decision on Cumbria Zoo licence application-taking place in May?

Is that a correct sequence/summary and if so, given the time frame of events, can they manage to avoid even temporary closure during the intervening period?

8. simon lloyd

personally if i was working anywhere and i knew the man/ women in charge was doing things or not doing things that meant those animals were dying because of it , i wouldnt be working there for very long , but hey thats me , if i am a little niave , so be it , and yes the efforts of the staff may have , but on the other side of the coin some of them also may have been the cause , could they not ?

Farmer likes this.
  9. Nisha

10. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wasn't going to comment any more on this subject but must admit IF any of the staff knew/thought the animals were being mistreated then they are as much to blame as Mr Gill.
    Just because he was the Boss doesn't make him solely responsible for the alleged cruelty to the animals, knowing is just as bad as doing.

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not necessarily, maybe the staff stayed rather than walk because they believed they could make a difference and if they walked they may have feared things could get worse!

12. zoogiraffe

Which is just why those that I know have stayed and not walked!

13. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

"Which is just why those that I know have stayed and not walked!"

I can see the reasoning behind this principle stand, and I also could have "stayed and not walked" with a very large difference, upon seeing and knowing what was going on id have been the biggest whistle blower you could ever imagine, and also lets look at it now, If as a few say, David Gill "is no more" then if they "stayed and didn't walk" at the time, why afterwards, aren't they breathing a huge sigh of relief and telling everyone how it was before D G "left" ?? It seems odd that even now although the world knows the facts, they still stay quiet thus shielding him??? Just for a minute think about it, If all was as they say it is, surely you would now want to say what it "used" to be like there?

14. zoogiraffe

Oh please Farmer,its simple they speak out they get sacked,they have familys to feed and more to the point if they left there are far more people trying to work in zoos than there are jobs,for them to be able to find another!

This thread is now getting very tedious and I will refrain from commenting any further,as some people just have no idea and its pointless trying to educate them any further!!

15. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Eventually we may see some of this but everyone still employed at the zoo will still be unsure if they are going to have a job at the end of this.

I would hope they are too busy working on making the improvements necessary than making press conferences on how bad a job they were doing before, even if it wasn't their fault. They will have still felt every single one of those deaths.

Paradoxurus likes this.
  16. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

True that! "Aspects" of it have been near-tedious for a long time.

Me too, let's see what happens -I'm expecting the worst (as I really can't see Gill letting go) but hoping for the best.

Farmer likes this.
  17. Nisha

BBC North West Tonight will be airing a new piece about the park during its program tonight at 6.30pm (will be on Iplayer later for those outside the region). However its headline does suggest (unfortunately) that Mr.Gill will be appealing the closure order.....

18. Nisha

So a summary of the above programme - Mr.Gill (who did not appear) has appealed (today) against not only the zoo closure notice but also the refusal to grant him a new zoo licence. Which means that the zoo will remain open after next week. The appeal process against the closure notice will likely be heard in May depending on court dates. Karen Brewer (and other staff) were interviewed and again claimed that the new company has severed all ties with Mr.Gill and they intend to buy the land from him

South Lakes Safari Zoo: Owner in appeal against licence refusal - BBC News

Last edited: 30 Mar 2017
  19. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But if they have "severed all ties" and purchase of the land is a realistic option why is Gill lodging an appeal? Just doesn't add up.

20. zoogiraffe

It does if you believe that Gill will never give the zoo up!

Farmer likes this.