Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park Safari Zoo 2017 news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Karen Brewer is unlikely to be awarded a licence due to her working relationship with Mr.Gill

alfiethetortois and Farmer like this.
  2. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Nisha, thats exactly what we thought but if you knew the history of the local council that might not be such a foregone conclusion as expected. There is an inspection by DEFRA on the 16th of Jan with no date for a licencing committee meeting yet. We found it odd that DG even put in for the licence as he definitely cant have it. we even considered that it might be some kind of muddying of the waters to somehow make it more likely that KB will be granted it. Although this seems such an open and shut case it wont be ill bet. There were numerous plans for different buildings etc up there that hadn't been applied for and all of a sudden loads of " retrospective" plans have been submitted, strangely by a landscape gardener? DG has a LONG LONG history of not submitting plans and just going ahead and has never been challenged for most / not all. All of this is because DG has never had to comply with ANY rules whatsoever. Most are of the opinion he will yet again in some way wing this. And if KB does get this licence, then DG has got it again.

3. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

this should read inspection by Defra or Council... not too sure which.

4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think most local authorities have cases like that - I know mine did!

People tend to assume that if you build without planning permission the local authority can instantly take action. It's more difficult than that! I suspect DG knows this and has used the system. To take enforcement action the council has to identify the harm arising from the development and that it is expedient to do so (i.e. in the public interest, and a reasonable use of public funds). And a retrospective planning application stops the process instantly.

I suspect similar rules apply to zoo licensing which might explain why - apparently - the zoo continues to trade after the licence has expired. Oh, and the fact that the BC has said DG is unfit to hold a licence doesn't mean he can't apply for one. And - I suspect - lodge an appeal against refusal.

This one could run and run ...

... and run and run and run and ...

Farmer likes this.
  5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am surprised that the council did not close him down on 8th January. He has no zoo licence.

6. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Yes the plot definitely thickens because that particular place now has FOUR names registered at companies house, all of which are " active" Cumbria Zoo ltd, South Lakes Safari Zoo Ltd, Safari Zoo Trading Limited and Safari Zoo Nature Limited. K B being on ALL of them. D G is on three of them. It appears that there are at least 10 members of staff who are directors amongst the four companies. It was written in the DEFRA report, to cut a long story short, There was condition order stated that DEFRA would not look favourably on either DG or, ANY current management holding the new licence. And considering KB is " current management" that does seem to exclude both of them....

7. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As I mentioned above, it may be like planning. While he's got an application in he's allowed to continue.

Farmer likes this.
  8. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

9. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

i heard a whisper yesterday that not only has the male jag been killed by his 2 year old son , there was another set of jag cubs but they also was killed , can anybody shed any light on this please ?

10. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

11. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

12. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have heard locally that the top Avery with parrots will close to public if a foundation takes 'over' the zoo.

13. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Only two applications have been submitted though? Ive not heard of a " foundation" applying for a licence. The only two are from D G and K B. Please could you expand on what " foundation" you may of heard of,

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

There a lot of whispers about what happens to animals here, the sad thing is many of them are true but proving them is next to impossible.

bantam likes this.
  15. alfiethetortois

When Gill isn't given a licence and a charity foundation takes the licence the top Avery may close. Is KB not going to be running the zoo under a charity?

16. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

There is no charity foundation. I have to add that this time last year D G told the press that he was applying to make the zoo a charity but then back tracked on this idea and took controll back himself in yet another of his Companies House change overs. K B is Cumbria Zoo, and South Lakes Safari Zoo. Licences applied for can be found here, Barrow BC - Notice of Intention - Cumbria Zoo Company Ltd

17. alfiethetortois

Well when he isn't in charge anymore, the top Avery will close and become his private Avery according to what I've heard

18. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

From what I've heard no matter who might officialy hold the licence DG will always be in control. That will never change.

19. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Well...... inspection day today... Will it point towards K B ( or should I say, D G ) getting the licence again ? we will see.

20. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

any news ? will the place still be open at the weekend ?