Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park Safari Zoo 2017 news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Oh, Typical SL then

Farmer likes this.
  2. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

For all interested, SLZ David Gill application for licence, report and inspection report here 6 march very very damning Gill to be refused licence as we expected. Barrow BC - Licensing Regulatory Committee

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

...and its the animals that continue to suffer whilst this process drags on. :(

Note that they have 28 days to appeal a zoo closure notice. So the council can issue one but the zoo will *not* close until the 28 days are up, or an appeal has been heard by magistrates

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The big question remains after this latest and well worked report for the Licensing Authority will DG put on his clogs and move over (on ...) or whatever. It is illustrative of the state of affairs (and play) that both BIAZA and EAZA have seen it fit to taken action to downgrade the facility from both their area of operation perspectives'. A rather sobering one for current management (so, will they now finally get it into their *** skull?)??!!!

5. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Not a chance on this earth, will DG move on or "over"..... he will want this " proxy " vote to go through in which case he will still have the zoo.... most think he / she wont get it but

bantam likes this.
  6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought he had already appealed.

7. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

He wanted to appeal against the zoo inspection back in Jan 2016, but he withdrew from that, at the cost of great expense to the council into the two figure thousands. He has also goaded the council many times, saying he will appeal but hasn't actual carried out this empty threat. Obviously this is open to someone knowing different but im pretty sure this is the case, please feel free to correct me if im wrong.

8. Nisha

He hasn't been given a zoo closure notice yet. So he can't appeal until he gets one

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

so what did he appeal against in January

10. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

if i remember right it was in connection with the zoo licence conditions, there's a mention in the committee reports in July. He said he would take it to court but withdrew it. he was going to appeal against the Nov 2015 inspection. He told the council he would appeal but he withdrew. He subsequently tried the same again regarding the July 2016 court case but withdrew again. Prior to that there was a meeting on the 25th May 2016 where he again made the same mention of appealing but it never happened. these can be found in the public domain council reports. So the threat from him is the usual thing and falls well in line with the saying to cry wolf.

11. ZooWho

ZooWho Member

Had a glance through this and in the depths, noticed that the zoo site is being leased to the new company for 6 months. What then, one wonders?

12. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

As of Jan the zoo was "leased" to the "new company on a six month lease, page 21 of 60 on the link I gave above, :) ) Subject to K B getting the licence, I assume it will be extended to the 8 years. Well that's what D G stated in the report just published. Thats also assuming that Karen Brewers licence is awarded. But reading the inspectors submission, they say that realistically K B's application looks very weak. From what i understand there isnt anything after the fact stopping, DG tearing up that lease contract. D G will continue in the capacity of "landlord" only but also through South Lakes Safari Zoo LTD. There is an opyion for the new company to buy the LAND on which the zoo is sited, and or Cumbria Zoo to buy the entire share capital. Which in the case of SLZ amounts to £8 / eight pounds.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2017
  13. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There really only seem two options:

A - an independent Trust is set up. Very, very quickly. Genuinely independent from Gill. Takes over.
    B - closure.

So, looks like closure ...

Farmer likes this.
  14. Nisha

....And just when you thought it couldn't get any more damning...

Harrowing animal death list revealed ahead of crunch meeting over zoo licence application

27 February 2017 6:19PM

A HARROWING death list reveals for the first time how nearly 500 animals - including tigers, lion cubs and giraffes - have died at a popular zoo in less than four years.

Poor management, emaciation and hypothermia are among the reasons for the above average mortality rate at South Lakes Safari Zoo in Dalton, while trauma and infighting caused by overstocked pens also account for the demise of scores of exhibits.

The shocking log, which provides a distressing catalogue of injuries and illnesses endured by a wide range of species at the site formally known as Dalton Zoo between December 2013 and September last year, has been branded the worst seen in 60 years by national campaigning charity the Captive Animal Protection Society.

It forms part of a huge bundle of documents disclosed to Barrow Borough Council which will be assessed by authority bosses ahead of their decision on whether to approve either of two separate applications for a zoo licence at a crunch meeting for the business on March 6.

Maddie Taylor, CAPS campaigns officer, said: "The findings at South Lakes Safari Zoo are some of the worst we have ever come across in 60 years.

"Our visit to the zoo combined with the zoo inspectors' reports shows high death rates of animals, animals in ill health and a lack of understanding about how to meet even the most basic needs of the animals under their care.

"We urge the local authority to take action by closing this appalling zoo down."

In one case on the death list, an African spurred tortoise named Goliath was electrocuted when it became stuck in charged fencing, while the decomposed body of a squirrel monkey was discovered behind a radiator rending a post-mortem impossible to carry out.

The zoo, which is said to attract around 250,000 visitors every year, lost two giraffes in the space of nine months according to the document with the first, a 13 day old bull, dying of a gastrointestinal infection thought to be Ecoli in October 2015.

A second, an eight-year-old male, was shot in July last year after it collapsed and attempts to get it to re-stand overnight failed.

The vet who carried out a post-mortem on the animal later raised concerns over the nutrition of the giraffe herd as its bodily condition was found to be similar to others that had been unwell or died.

Mystery surrounds the sudden death of two snow leopards; Miska and Natasja, in October 2015 after they were discovered partially eaten in their enclosure.

A vet initially suspected they may have been poisoned but blood tests ruled this out. No post-mortem was undertaken.

Indiana, a three-year-old white rhino, died after being crushed by another rhino against a barrier.

Some animals were killed as a form of population control - with seven healthy lion cubs euthanised at four days old in August last year because the safari zoo did not have room for them.

It followed the culling of five baboons in 2014 after their number grew too large.

And 18 sacred ibis birds were shot by Mr Gill after he was threatened with prosecution for allowing the non-native species to fly free from the zoo - a move heavily criticised by avian experts during a subsequent court case over the matter.

Separate papers obtained by the Evening Mail show that just two months ago, a jaguar named Saka was put down after it chewed off its own paw overnight on December 27.

The keepers claimed it had sustained a bite beforehand but a report by external veterinary experts states other jaguars kept on site had suffered cut or damaged pads in the past from broken glass found in rubble in the enclosure, loose wires in the jaguar house and large nails on the feeding poles

detailedstory

alfiethetortois and Farmer like this.
  15. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

16. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

jesus i knew something wasnt quite right there but this goes so much further than i expected , 7 healthy cubs killed for no reason ?? i do hope they have this so very wrong

17. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

18. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What bugs me with the South Lakes saga is, how and why have things been allowed to get this bad? Things like the ridiculously high number of animal deaths, the tragic death of a keeper, goodness knows how many injuries to visitors, numerous court cases against the zoo and its owner, not to mention all the things they've been repeatedly asked, then ordered to do... surely they shouldn't be able to get away with this?

It feels to me as though Gill is playing the system, filing new licence applications to keep delaying the process and enable them to stay open longer. All of it makes me wonder, what would a zoo have to actually do to be closed down without all of these 'second chances'? How many people and animals have to be harmed or worse before somebody does something rather than just recommending that the place loses its licence?

bantam likes this.
  19. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Local feeling towards the zoo has been cooling for some time.

One can only hope that these damning reports sway the perception further and allow Barrow County Council to take appropriate action.

I do not feel the zoo is safe, particularly after several small children have been attacked by birds in the new vulture aviary. My husband took our children recently while I was working and I told him under no circumstances to go in the Avery with them. He said it was being manned by a keeper with a broom.

Though south lakes is by far our nearest zoo, we are Chester zoo annual pass holders. Says it all really.

zoogiraffe and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member