Join our zoo community

Sauvage Zoo of St-Félicien Saint-Félicien Wild Zoo news

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Mar 2013.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No rationale to this as no alternative plan in place. Not good at all ... I am afraid. Just caving in to the obvious easy way out criticism ....

It is sadly not offering a solution to an almost functionally extinct population and not addressing the issues that have contributed to the near demise of the population.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another Japanese macaque was born as well as two goats and two beavers.

3. TZFan

A single siberian ibex was born at the end of June.

4. TZFan

Harbor seals, Sushi, Wasabi, and Millie, have gone to Edmonton.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. TZFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. TZFan

A cougar cub is on display now with its mother.

7. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just read that Zoo Sauvage was getting Gelada Baboons and they would be going on display this summer.
    I can't find much information about them and my French isn't great.
    Does anyone know where there coming from and how many they'll have?
    I think the nearest facility is Bronx but is Zoo Sauvage AZA affiliated or are they part of an SSP?

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whereas I cannot answer your AZA / SSP queries, I can elucidate on what you probably read.
    LINK: De nouvelles espèces au Zoo Sauvage - Le Nouvelles Hebdo

The La Boréalie zoogeographic region they are planning on competing building may include an influx of new species for the zoo: species mentioned were red panda, takin, chamois, giant panda, snow leopard, Pallas cat, Andean bear, various species of penguins,sea lions and walrus. Arctic fox have already arrived (and are exhibited close by the polar bears). Caribou (!!!) also made their return after the sad demise of the herd in 2016 (several females in the 12 head herd are reported to be pregnant).

The gelada were mentioned as an aside to this story, but no less of general importance! This exhibit is said to open quite soon this season. No idea where the gelada would come from exactly. However, I would say / think they are most likely to come in from overseas - ex the EAZA / EEP region - where the species has seen an incredible growth over the last decade.

9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Interesting decision to get geladas to replace the polar bears. Maybe they could get other Ethiopian species like lammergeiers?

Not sure if Savauge should get giant pandas or not. Obviously they can't get Jia Yueyue and Jia Panpan because they're going back to China. Also obviously red pandas would be more viable.

10. TZFan

The Gelada are not replacing the polar bears in that way. There is a new polar bear complex that is welcoming the trio in June. The gelada will simply move into an empty exhibit. There is no SSP for them but they are definitely at the Bronx and I believe San Diego. Most likely they will be European imports. Toronto might also be looking to move towards them as their Olives die off so there might be a space for offspring down the line in Canada.

A bison calf and three black bear cubs have been born.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

TZFan: I'm well aware the polar bears are moving to their own complex, I just didn't phrase it well.

12. TZFan

My apologies Yi Qi. I didn't know they were building a new complex until I saw it on Facebook so I thought it might be news to you as well.

In the sense the gelada moving into the polar bear exhibit it is an interesting re purposing of an exhibit. Not too common to swap a large carnivore... a highly aquatic one too... for a large monkey. I honestly don't know much about the zoo but I could think of probably a dozen species that might be an easier choice to put in that exhibit. It depends though on the magnitude of changes they are making to the exhibit. I would think some pretty significant changes would be needed for the holding and exhibit. I'm interested to see photos of it when it is done, as well as the new exhibits that are coming. From what I have seen they do some very natural exhibits.

I missed the giant panda comment earlier. Is the zoo even big enough to support pandas? Could it really benefit from the pandas the way a bigger center could? I know originally Granby was considering joining Toronto and Calgary and being the third stop on a fifteen year visit but bowed out. I think that deal would have been questionable for Granby as Er Shun and Da Mao would have been in their mid to late teens during the visit and possibly less likely to produce cubs. Lets face facts after the first year the biggest bang for their buck is cubs. But with the pair here now maybe they are talking to China about taking them in 2023. Who knows. It's a huge financial investment but if they can get the support of the various governments might work. Whole lot more likely while Canada is playing host than if there were none in the country.

Yi Qi likes this.
  13. TZFan

The gelada have arrived.

Kifaru Bwana and Hyak_II like this.
  14. TZFan

5 beaver kits were born earlier this month.

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

You know, I've noticed that roughly around the same time Sauvage has moved geladas into the old polar bear exhibit, Indianapolis has opened a crab-eater macaque in their old polar bear exhibit. You think this will be a new trend?

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

The gelada are on display.

18. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

19. TZFan

A muskox calf was born.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. TZFan

The male wolverine apparently escaped and was on the run for 3 months. He's since been recaptured and is doing well.

The Montana grizzly cubs will be arriving. To make room the older grizzlies have been moved to an exhibit near the bison and are quite interested in them.

A new caribou herd has arrived.

Kifaru Bwana and britishzoofan like this.