Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Aquarium Saint Louis Aquarium- Opening 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 9 Aug 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Very interesting! The article states that the proposed aquarium will be 75,000 sq. ft., thus making it triple the size of a typical Sea Life. Also, the idea of attracting a million visitors per year is an ambitious one considering that the Greater Cleveland Aquarium has been struggling to get 300,000 visitors each year since it opened in 2012. However, the city of St. Louis is clearly a place where people support zoological facilities as the zoo is one of the best in the nation and there are a number of small zoos in the surrounding area. I will point out that "World Aquarium" is in St. Louis, inside the bowels of the kid-friendly City Museum, and it is the strangest aquarium that I've ever toured.

3. jayjds2

@snowleopard:

The World Aquarium actually has moved locations. The City Museum and the Aquarium had a disagreement, and seeing as how the aquarium was in the museum, the museum obviously won and the aquarium had to move out. There's more info in the news thread for the World Aquarium.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do they mean the "one-of-a-kind" multi-species shark tank that is a main feature of almost every aquarium?

BigNate likes this.
  6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

No, I think in the spirit of the age it will involve predatory entrepreneurs and venture capitalists

AmbikaFan, Coelacanth18 and m30t like this.
  7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Still a main feature of most 21st century aquariums :p

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The link below is from last month and so it contains some updated information in regards to the St. Louis Aquarium. There is even a short movie that literally looks like a film that would be released in theaters during its first minute or so...an interesting advertisement for the facility. The logo for the aquarium has an image that looks suspiciously like a sea otter, even though those animals are not featured in the mini-movie. Perhaps river otters or small-clawed otters?

St. Louis Aquarium at Union Station shares vision of completed project

9. DavidBrown

The otters shown in the video are in a tropical-looking tank that also has what appear to be Asian fish in it, so appear to be small-clawed based on that. The logo does, perhaps misleadingly, resemble a sea otter.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. jayjds2

The aquarium finally opened at the end of last year - December 25, 2019. I visited today, just short of two weeks after it opened and it did not turn out as ambitiously as the initial article I linked said it would. Despite this, I enjoyed the facility and soon I intend to create a review/news thread with my thoughts.

To clear up the otter confusion, the aquarium features 3 North American river otters.

11. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

What I didn't know was that this facility was going to be in Union Station! The value just skyrocketed for me. Putting something so family-friendly of general appeal into this historic structure is a win/win all around. Hotels and shopping have kept the space buzzing for 30 years, but the aquarium is an experience, just like the station itself. I really need to get me to the Midwest.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  12. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

birdsandbats likes this.
  13. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

14. DavidBrown

Jellies-piranhas-sharks-river otters-touch tank-coral reef tank...is this the exhibit backbone of almost every aquarium in North America?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

100%. Usually sandbar, sand tiger, nurse, and blacktip reef sharks. Often a rescued sea turtle or two. Bigger ones have a penguin exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.