Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Saint Louis Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 6 Jan 2013.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

What is shown in that video ain't cheap!

2. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Totally agree! Some of the cave work I would guess would be very expensive.Why do you suppose they are reusing the grottoes ?

Team Tapir223

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Oh ok, I thought it was going to be a complete new exhibit. Still hoping they add some soft substrate.

4. Quicksand

Quicksand Active Member

I think it looks awesome. Tons of rock, yes, but that's more the natural environment of polar bears. The look of snow and ice is very cool (no pun intended). With a winter snow this exhibit would probably be unbelievably neat to see.

5. Zooplantman

I can only speculate: if the holding areas are in basically good condition they can be re-used (Woodland Park is doing the same with their "new" bear/tiger exhibits). Even if they expand the holding, they have considerable savings by not starting from scratch and additional savings from not demolishing the existing grottos entirely (which one way or another they would do... they wouldn't simply put rhinos in them :rolleyes: )

So they get a $28million for $20million (loosely speaking)
    But still, that animation has a great deal of expensive doodads.

6. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

The bluffs modeled after those found in Herculaneum were one of the first things the Zoo did after removing barred caging. They would like to hold onto that history and incorporate it into the new exhibits.

7. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The inside cave viewing areas for guests looks really cool. I am always weary of the snow/icicle look for polar bear exhibits. I find it can look painted on or bird droppings. Sort of makes the mock rock work more fake.

8. BlueSky

BlueSky Active Member

We should be breaking ground on Polar Bear Point around the end of the year. I'll keep everyone posted when I hear more.

For now, we're still finishing up in River's Edge. The Painted Dog exhibit is really humming along! Most of what's left is planting & waiting for landscaping to mature.

9. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Is there any update on construction of the andean bear and sun bear exhibits?

10. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Visited the zoo on Saturday. The zoo has a new male orangutan. The Tuatara is off exhibit due to maintence. The zoo might receive some of the painted dogs from my hometown zoo the Pittsburgh zoo. My guess would be the new exhibits in rivers edge open summer 2014. Im kinda curious on where the zoo will put the sloth bear though???

11. BlueSky

BlueSky Active Member

Daisy the Sloth Bear will go to another zoo home (she's only been with us temporarily, but we'll miss her).

Looking at Spring 2014 to open the three new exhibits in River's Edge.

12. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Zooplantman

14. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to this zoo in a few days, and I couldn't be more thrilled! Just a few questions before I go:

Is part of River's Edge closed due to construction of the new bear and wild dog exhibits, or is it all open?

Are the anteaters and bush dogs difficult to find in their exhibits?

Thanks!

15. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I was at the zoo the construction did not close off any of the path.

The bush dog exhibit is quite small and there isn't a lot of hiding spots and I found it very easy to find them. The giant anteaters (that share an exhibit with capybaras) have a long, narrow exhibit. I could only find it sleeping at the very back of the enclosure lying in a small ditch. Luckily you can even see the anteater/capybara exhibit behind the bush dogs. That's another specialty that River's Edge offers.

Have fun while you're there!:) I assure you, you will love the zoo. It's arguably one of the best top 5 zoos in the country. They call themselves #1 in the nation.

16. Milwaukee Man

Thank you, Moebelle, for the info!

17. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Rivers Edge is a superb exhibit!They have a fantastic reptile collection!Very solid primate collection and arguably the best penguin exhibit in the country.

Team Tapir223

18. BlueSky

BlueSky Active Member

Updates from yesterday's staff meeting:

1.) We'll be breaking ground on Polar Bear Point in September. Construction through the bear bluffs & penguin and puffin will mean visitors have to go 'round the long way to reach the carousel.

2.) The expansion site will feel some love later this year. We'll be doing some parking lot re-surfacing, landscaping, etc. We'll also be doing improvements to the existing parking garage, and (wait for it) possibly some demolition around November!

3.) The new exhibits in River's Edge are still on track to open Spring 2014.

19. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. Milwaukee Man