Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Saint Louis Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 6 Jan 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

5. BlueSky

BlueSky Active Member

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They will be going where an aviary once was. It originally was a walk-through area for lorikeets, and then held lemurs. It stood empty for quite a while, but I believe it is now demolished for the new exhibit.

7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. jayjds2

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The article in the post above is more detailed than this page on the zoo website: Saint Louis Zoo Expansion :: Saint Louis Zoo

Either way, one of America's undisputed best zoos is going to continue getting better. I was very impressed when I visited back in 2000 (I think that was the year). They have added even more since then (I only saw phase 1 of River Country or whatever it is called). I still cannot believe this is a free admission zoo - it is miles ahead of most other zoos in quality.

10. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I'm glad the master plan isn't getting rid of the zoo's immense hoofstock collection although I'm sad to see the stellar Jaguar exhibit closed.

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not sure if this was posted before, here are some renderings of the expansion area (former hospital) that were produced when the acquisition first came about. The navigation is not very obvious - you have to click on the very small "next" word on the top left of the main image.
    St. Louis Zoo | South Campus - Bennett Gale

12. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the amount of money they spend on conservation work in the field is huge as well, quite an achievement as well!

13. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Hopefully HR design firms designs are executed with brilliance unlike how WPZ botched the shoddy Banyan Wilds. STL's last large exhibit, polar bear point, was severely underwhelming. Sad to see the cat pits go. They were ahead of their time, except for the leopard and cougar enclosures. Nervous about the refurb to the Reptile House. Hope they don't ruin the architecture and history there. Pandas.... why?! Hope that doesn't happen. Also found golden monkey listed to be funny. Doubt even half of these pipe dreams will happen. It's nice to see my all time favorite Zoo get better. It seems the grizzly bear exhibit has not been talked about or construction started. Maybe it was shelved?

14. jayjds2

15. jayjds2

The current Red Rocks (where nearly all the hoofstock is) would become the Silk Road. The map renderings as of now list Addax, Addra Gazelle, Somali Wild Ass, Transcaspian Ural, Bactrian Camel, Chinese Goral, and Musk Deer (presumably Siberian- interesting to see its appearance in zoos). With the African section being mostly savanna animals, this means a good chunk of the collection is lost.

16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I suspect that what actually happens... and when... depends entirely on the sales tax

17. Coelacanth18

I agree with you on the polar bear exhibit, although I'm grateful for it considering the awful pits that it replaced. Not sure I feel the same about Big Cat Country though... many people on this site seem to love it, but I'm not a big fan of the complex myself and would have no problem seeing it go. I think the refurb on the houses looks promising, and it will be good for the primates to have much better exhibits. The Silk Road area looks really interesting... it's supposed to also include a nocturnal house. Perhaps bats will make their return to Saint Louis?

With its current aspirations, Saint Louis may soon join the Bronx and a few others as zoos that cannot easily be done in one day. But I agree, I have very high doubts that most of this will come to fruition in the near future. A lot does ride on the sales tax.

18. jayjds2

@Coelacanth18: I agree with what you said. I wish they'd give us a little more detail on everything, especially the nocturnal house. They last time they had bats, it was a lone flying fox in a rather pitifully small glass box in the children's zoo. That was several years ago, thankfully.

19. Coelacanth18

20. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Forgot to post. While in STL for IHS (International Herp. Symposium), work was well underway on Grizzly Ridge. It was neat seeing the old bear dens exposed. Kinda creepy. As they looked like prison cells, uniform shaped, side-by-side. There was also work being done in Children's Zoo. Don't know what for. Kali the Polar Bear, in his lame exhibit was pacing and sprawled on sand. The design of this exhibit is baffling and the choice of colour for the rockwork doesn't bode well for STL heat. Could see the heat eminating as the sun beat down on it. Yikes. Didn't care to see much else at the Zoo. Obviously the reptile house. Didn't see the birds or edible animals. Not my cup of tea. Heh.