Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Saint Louis Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TinoPup, 4 Jan 2018.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo announced today that cheetah Bingwa gave birth to EIGHT cubs on November 26th at their Saint Louis Zoo River’s Edge Cheetah Breeding Center. This is the first time a cheetah has successfully raised 8 cubs on her own at an AZA zoo - or likely anywhere else, given how difficult it is to get cheetahs to reproduce and the high death rate of cubs.
    Meet Our New Cheetah Cubs :: Saint Louis Zoo

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

What a shame they couldn’t save her. Having had four previous cases too, it is terrible for them.

6. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

snowleopard likes this.
  7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Saint Louis Zoo is already one of the premier zoological parks on the planet and it would be a dream if they could open a safari-style facility and perhaps emulate the San Diego establishments.

9. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I've been mulling this over, and while it's a great get for the zoo, I sort of wish they had purchased land in a more southern clime. Sort of like what San Diego Zoo Global did in Louisiana.

I forget what the ownership situation is like, but Grant's Farm always seemed like it could be converted into a more Wild Animal Park-like experience.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm flipping through the plans now, but the term you're looking for his "glamping", not "glambing". It's a portmanteau of glamour and camping. Basically one step away from RV camping.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  13. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm annoyed by the fact the site provides an option to enlarge the slides, but are blurry as all get out. The option is essentially useless.

Overall, I'm intrigued by the possibilities. I like the idea that they want to keep a diversity of species beyond the current ABC mentality, but I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Ultimately though, I have to wonder if the current model of relying on tax revenue is unsustainable given St. Louis' demographics. The population barely grew as of 2016, and if trends continue who knows what kind of revenue the zoo will be able to rely upon.

StoppableSan and pachyderm pro like this.
  14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

If the population did grow in 2016, that's a welcome change of events. It's a post-industrial ghost of its former self and its population is less than half what it was when the zoo first opened. I've always thought that the surrounding St. Louis county (home to the suburbs) should be contributing tax revenue to it as well, but it's a much more conservative political base and they have rejected such measures in the past.

15. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last minute, but making my first visit to STL tomorrow. Other than the cheetah cubs, what is can't-miss?

17. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you like herps, nearly every species in the reptile house are noteworthy. Quite a few are only kept by STL themselves. As for birds, the collection has been dwindling from what it used to be, but you should prioritize horned guan (not that they’re easy to miss!), golden white-eye (good luck...), and great Indian hornbill. Several uncommon species of hoofstock are found in Red Rocks, such as Soemerring’s gazelle and Javan banteng. The stingray lagoon and children’s zoo are free for the zoo’s first hour of opening. I would advise going straight to the children’s zoo, as that’s where the Tasmanian devils are. The stingray lagoon is nice but nothing remarkable.

If you have any further questions, I’ll try to answer them. Have a great visit!

18. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks so much!! The herpetarium was already top of my list, followed by the primate house, but I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to track down the guan and banteng!

I'm a bit spoiled with devils thanks to the LA Zoo, but have never seen Matschie's kangaroo, so I'll hit up the children's zoo for sure.

19. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

By reputation their penguin house, insect house, and the River's Edge complex are all must-sees.

20. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would also recommend trying to get a glimpse of Raja, their bull elephant. He has some of the more impressive tusks amongst zoo elephants in North America.

StoppableSan likes this.