Join our zoo community

Salmonids in aquarium displays

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoovolunteer, 2 May 2020.

Tags:
  1. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Despite being a major food source and with a few species extensively bred in aquaculture, many salmonids have restricted ranges and are often threatened. However, I have seen few displays of salmonids, and most of those were rainbow trout. What other salmonids have people seen, and why are so few species shown?

As mostly fairly large species of cold, highly oxygenated water I can see why they might be sometimes problematic to keep in warmer parts of the world, but I would have thought that in northern Europe, much of the USA and Canada providing cold enough water would not be a major difficulty.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Several zoos and aquariums in western North America display salmonid species. Oregon Zoo, Seattle Aquarium, Sequoia Park Zoo, Monterey Aquarium, and Woodland Park Zoo all have salmon or trout species on exhibit.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As Japan is a powerhouse in eating salmon, there are some salmon display in Japanese aquarium. I personally have seen them in Kyoto, but there are more. I remember there is even a salmon themed aquarium in Hokkaido during my research

4. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know Alaska Sealife Center had a salmon display during my visit a couple years back.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There are rather a lot of Salmonidae species displayed in European collections, of which I have seen about 8 in captivity myself :) notable collections holding species include Innsbruck Alpenzoo, Zoo Am Meer, Wilhelma and Lakes Aquarium.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only species I've ever seen exhibited are Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, and Brook Trout - all of which are common aquarium fish in my experience.

7. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for responses everyone. I have seen a few displays of salmon, rainbow or brown trout, but the IUCN red list has 13 extinct salmonid species, 2 extinct in the wild, and well over 70 species as Near Threatened up to Critically Endangered, so it seems that charismatic species - most are colourful and impressive fish - may be being overlooked, especially as the impact of commercial exploitation, pollution and habitat destruction on such a familiar group provides a useful educational topic.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All Danish aquaria I can think of keep at least a couple of species, with Atlantic salmon and brown trout being the most common. Aqua Akvarium is probably the most speciose - while their exact species roster varies from season to season, there has been a few times where they kept all Danish species of salmonids.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, man, I love the Atlantic salmon display at New England Aquarium. I love salmon in general though, so that might be a me thing. I've always wanted to ask about whether or not they breed the salmon and if so, how it's done, but there's rarely any educators around the display, and it often gets overlooked by guests as well. I've spent far too much time at that exhibit trying to get decent pictures of the salmon.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen a variety of salmonids in aquaria, including Chinook Salmon, Sockeye Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Atlantic Salmon, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, and Arctic Char. Most are generally kept with little trouble other than cold water and additional aeration.

Additionally here in the states at least, most fish hatcheries are open to the public and the various life cycles can be seen. Some of them could also almost be facilities in their own right, such as the one in The Dalles OR, which has a very large pond for some enormous sturgeon in addition to rearing ponds for a couple varieties of salmonids.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Keiikoa

Keiikoa Member 5+ year member

according to a swedish news article in 2010, Universeum had Atlantic Salmon for a while.

12. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Hello Guys

The Wilhelma Stuttgart has a large Tank with some Brown trout in the aquarium House.

13. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I think Monterey has rainbow trout but I don't remember for certain if that was the species.

14. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are correct. :)

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  15. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has farmed rainbow and cutthroat trout in their grizzly bear pool.

16. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The magnificient Huchen (Hucho hucho) and the beautiful grayling (Thymallus thymallus) are kept in a few European aquaria and zoos. A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to see courting wild huchen in the Isar river right next to Tierpark Hellabrunn.

Several species of the Salmo and the Salvelinus genus are pretty common in European zoos and wildlife parks, often kept in the moats of zoo exhibits and supplied by local fish farms. The Golden rainbow trout, a yellow colour morph of the rainbow trout, in particular is quite popular among visitors.

17. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I know the Aquarium of the Pacific has an entire exhibit dedicated to Southern California Steelheads. Some aquariums use golden trout as enrichment for the cetaceans.

18. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Otaru Aquarium in Hokkaido, Japan has 5-6 species. Cherry salmon and whitespotted char are common in Japanese zoos and aquariums. Osaka Kaiyukan has Arctic char. Also, the critically endangered Sakhalin Taimen (a giant trout) is kept by a handful of institutions, including Otaru Aquarium, Toba Aquarium, and Aqua Totto Gifu.