Join our zoo community

Saltwater and freshwater crocodiles in zoos outside of Australia

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by elefante, 30 Apr 2017.

1. Tatsuslava

Tatsuslava Well-Known Member

I think that it's a crocodile farm rather than a zoo in the strictest sense. Though it's a little disappoint how few zoos in North America has salties

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My profile picture is a saltwater crocodile who's lived at the Barcelona Zoo for as long as I remember... :)
    According to Zootierliste, they also have this species in Santillana and Tallinn, but... I haven't found any evidence of that anywhere... And I visited the Tallinn Zoo in summer of 2015, and I didn't see any crocodilians at all! o_O

However, I did see and photograph the single freshwater crocodile they have in Prague's crocodile zoo.
    Johnstone's crocodile - ZooChat

3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Reptile Lagoon has Freshwater crocodile.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Frankfurt Zoo is the main breeder of freshwater crocodile Crocodylus johnstoni. They have held a breeding group since early 1990 and have achieved the first overseas hatchings since 1994. They have bred the species regularly since and have sent young individuals to various collections in Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland, US and even Thailand.

The second European zoo to breed the species is Basel Zoo (first breeding attempt 2018, first 2 hatchlings in 2020 - the breeding pair (26) are offspring from Frankfurt).

I am unsure how many individuals the Frankfurt Zoo started out with (someone mentioned 1.4 at some point, at least 2 females are regularly laying and the zoo has been hatching out eggs).

5. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Wilhelma Zoo Stuttgart has both saltwater and freshwater crocodiles.
    They Keep them in the crocodile Hall which replicates the tropical North of Australia. They Keep Frederik which is Germans biggest crocodile and Tong which is a white female.

[​IMG]

Photo Made by @Maguari

[​IMG]

Photo Made by myself

Your German Zoo World

JigerofLemuria likes this.