Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Safari Park -- Entrance Aviary

Discussion in 'United States' started by avian83, 21 Aug 2011.

1. avian83

avian83 Active Member

I heard rumors that the Entrance Aviary, which was mostly/entirely African at one point, will be turning into a global aviary with species from all around the world. Is this true? If so, what's in there now? Just curious.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited the San Diego Zoo Safari Park on July 28th, 2011, and here are the 7 species in the Entrance Aviary: Eastern hammerkop, greater sunbittern, African openbill stork, southern bald ibis, white-headed lapwing, African spoonbill and Bartlett’s bleeding-heart dove.

3. avian83

avian83 Active Member

SEVEN species? In 2008 there were like...30. I wonder what the deal is.
    Thanks for the response -- I've been enjoying living vicariously through your roadtrip notes/photos.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Now you've got me thinking...those are the 7 species that are on signs outside the aviary. Inside there are more signs but I'm not sure if there are any additional species. I visited the park in 2006 and the aviary didn't seem half as empty as this time around.

You wouldn't believe how many folks have been reading all of my reviews but not commenting on them, but I'm glad that you enjoyed them!

5. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Well, when you write about more than just the zoos (like your side trips) it makes it especially interesting for me, as I went on similar roadtrips with my family over the past few decades.

The aviary was filled in 2008. I remember entire flocks of White-headed Buffalo Weavers and a large amount of Marbled Teal and Bald Ibis. There were turacos, rollers and several species of starlings. Waterfowl in the pond and waders/shorebirds on the cliffs.

I saw some recent photos of Victoria Crowned Pigeons in the aviary, and then learned that it was turning into a more global (not just African) exhibit -- as evidenced by Bartlett's Doves and Sunbittern. I also think the first room in Hidden Jungle went from all Neotropical to assorted. Interesting that they'd take the various-range route; I thought geographically-themed exhibits were the "in" thing these days.

6. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I took these pictures a few days ago. Hope they help answer your question.

Attached Files:

7. avian83

avian83 Active Member

It does! Thank you, Betsy :)