Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Wildlife Park news 2010

Discussion in 'United States' started by Goretex, 13 Feb 2010.

1. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How are the elephants doing now?

2. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Well, Ndlulamitsi the african elephant is due this month, so expect a new baby in coming weeks :)

3. elliegirl

elliegirl Member

Actually Ndlula had her baby Sunday morning at 2am. It's a boy!

4. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Somalian Wild Ass and Barbary Sheep are now on display on the JiA tour. They have 3 female wild ass on display and are going to put a male in. It was brilliant to see both of those animals again.

5. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good to hear. Photos?

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Did they extend the tour route, or just move these two species?

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are in a new habitat along the existing tour route. The exhibit is roughly between the existing track and the old one in front of what was once the mountain habitat. Am I right Otter Lord?

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any news about the new Tiger Exhibit? When do they start working on that? And when should it be completed?

9. Otter Lord

Yeah there are pics of the construction of this exhibit in the gallery. I don't have any current ones right now. It is very spacious and right now all the plants are blooming so there is a bunch of color in the exhibit. If you didn't know any better, it would be nice but all those plants are invasive from the scrub habitat around it. xD The mustard is blooming yellow but I don't know how well it will look in the summer. It kind of looks like a South African Heathland, i guess.

Here are some pics of the exhibit in construction. Maybe I'll get more pictures when I go back in June.

http://www.zoochat.com/297/1-31-10-jia-somalian-wild-129515/
    http://www.zoochat.com/297/1-31-10-jia-somalian-wild-129520/
    http://www.zoochat.com/297/1-31-10-jia-somalian-wild-129514/

But anyway, it seems that the Wild Animal Park is trying at some landscape immersion by planting some trees around the fence line. The ugly looking pens in the flamingo exhibit are almost concealed by trees put in place now. At least there is hope for the society to turn to more landscape immersive exhibits there.

As far as the Tiger exhibit, I think it is still in the design phase. I hope it is nothing less of the exhibit renderings posted on the site and it gives some views of the Asian enclosures though. I've noticed that, with exhibit renderings in Zoonooz, they seem kinda cool at first and then turn out nothing like it.

10. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i was just reading this LAtimes article and it said that there's 2 elephants due soon. I know one is Umoya, but which other cow is pregnant?

11. sandiegomaster

sandiegomaster Well-Known Member

They have had two born this year with one more that is due in a month. The LA times must have been misinformed or the article was written before the last birth about a month ago.

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Have the African elephants taken over the old asian elephant exhibit at this time?

13. Otter Lord

They have one bull elephant in the Asian Elephant exhibit right now.

14. Zoogoer2000

I think there may actually be another female that is pregnant along with Umoya , maybe this pregnancy is due to end next year?

I'll do some digging :)

15. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I think this is the article that kelvin mentions: San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park enjoys baby boom - latimes.com

It mentions one elephant due in June and another one next year.

Also, the article mentions 8 Dholes being born in the last year. Does anybody know the sexes and what is their plan on whether or not they will display them?

The weird thing is that article has a date of May 16, 2010, but today is the 15th.

Last edited: 16 May 2010
  16. sandiegomaster

I just spent the day at the wild animal park and there was a baby elephant born three days ago. The Dholes are going in the old lion exhibit that is by the tiger and should be there this summer. That is funny about the article.

17. mstickmanp

Wait, are you sure this is not the same calf that was born in April? Or is this really a 3rd calf born this year at the park?

18. Zoogoer2000

Yes, a third calf is for sure due in June to "Umoya" but... I think there may be yet another pregnant elephant due next year as well

19. sandiegomaster

I was there and it was a third calf born four days ago now, they didn't even have it on the website yet. They always said May or June and we were shocked that he was already born. Its really cool to see three calfs born since Valentines. A new one will be born in Jan 2011.

20. mstickmanp

Wow, that must be an awesome sight to see. Do you know the sex of the baby? Hopefully a female.

EDIT: never mind, I just saw in the other thread that the new calf is a male.